• Oct 4th, 2017 1:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1037 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto

Spring Rolls AYCE with Sushi & Sashimi

Recently, I saw an AYCE (All-You-Can-Eat) tasting menu being advertised at Spring Rolls that includes a good variety of both sushi and sashimi. The dinner is quite pricey, but the lunch is more reasonable for non-weekends.

Has anyone had any experience with this? This appears to be different from the AYCE dim sum tasting menu from years ago. Is sashimi included with lunch (and not just dinner)? Are there any restriction on food items for lunch?

How fast is the service and ordering? I recall reading about very poor services in the past at Spring Rolls in which the staffs were instructed by management to deliberately slow down your orders so you can't order too many pricey dishes.
28 replies
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
37 upvotes
HORRIBLE service. never had a good experience at any of the locations, good luck.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
joeythecat29 wrote: HORRIBLE service. never had a good experience at any of the locations, good luck.
Yonge and Dundas location is not bad. They have to compete with Spring Sushi. Order the items you believe to be most expensive first, but not too many items. It's harder to keep track of what you ordered if you order too many things at one time.
This is why I like Spring sushi better. They have an iPad so you can keep track of what you ordered...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Spring Rolls = garbage

Try going somewhere that serves real food .. plenty of locations in Markham, Richmond Hill, and Scarborough for Real Food ...
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Spring Rolls = garbage

Try going somewhere that serves real food .. plenty of locations in Markham, Richmond Hill, and Scarborough for Real Food ...
When did you eat there last?
The food at Spring rolls is not garbage.
The steak is excellent.
The sashimi is also very good.
I have no complaints about the food there.
The service could be better though.
FYI it is real food.
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: When did you eat there last?
The steak is excellent.
The sashimi is also very good.
I have no complaints about the food there.
The service could be better though.
FYI it is real food.
Spring Rolls is for Caucasians who don't know where to get real Asian food.

Try going to a real Japanese place for sashimi ... and you will realize that Spring Rolls is crap.

You have not gone to a real Chinese restaurant for real authentic Chinese cuisine.

You have not gone to a real Japanese restaurant for real authentic Japanese cuisine.

Chinese and Japanese restaurants DO NOT SERVE steak.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Spring Rolls is for Caucasians who don't know where to get real Asian food.

Try going to a real Japanese place for sashimi ... and you will realize that Spring Rolls is crap.

You have not gone to a real Chinese restaurant for real authentic Chinese cuisine.

You have not gone to a real Japanese restaurant for real authentic Japanese cuisine.

I don't care who serves what. I like the food at spring rolls and it is not garbage. Do not call it that.
Don't tell me where I have been or not been either.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3115 posts
1069 upvotes
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Spring Rolls is for Caucasians who don't know where to get real Asian food.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Kobe, Japan is very well known for their KOBE BEEF STEAK

Japan is very well known for their quality of ALL food and no japanese restaurants don't ONLY serve sushi and sashimi LOL

There are plenty of steakhouses in china too that are owned BY chinese people FROM china.
Last edited by toronto19850 on Feb 24th, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: I don't care who serves what. I like the food at spring rolls and it is not garbage. Do not call it that.
Don't tell me where I have been or not been either.
Obviously to those who never attempted to try real authentic Asian cuisine ... then this "fake Asian food" is definitely perfect for you.

I guess you would go to an Italian restaurant for tacos.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Obviously to those who never attempted to try real authentic Asian cuisine ... then this "fake Asian food" is definitely perfect for you.
Bad analogy.
The point is the food at Spring Rolls IS good. Period. Not garbage.
Clearly you never actually ate there. You simply judged it by what you saw on an online menu.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3115 posts
1069 upvotes
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Obviously to those who never attempted to try real authentic Asian cuisine ... then this "fake Asian food" is definitely perfect for you.

That's silly, we all know that italian restaurants only serve pasta....nothing else is on the menu unless it's not authentic Italian cuisine !
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1595 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Kobe, Japan is very well known for their KOBE BEEF STEAK
And arguably one of the best quality beef in the world.

(On a side note, I bought some A5 Wagyu (not Kobe) Striploin steak from Famu at J-town over family day weekend. So fatty..)
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8659 posts
2590 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried Spring Rolls only twice - once when they first opened in Toronto years ago, and a few years ago at Erin Mills. I thought they were not good both times.

The first time I went to Spring Rolls, I had their Pad Thai - it tasted like ketchup (the cheap fake way to make Pad Thai is to use ketchup as a base).

The time I went to Erin Mills, I thought to myself - why are they still in business? The food presentation was okay, but the food tasted like crap.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: I tried Spring Rolls only twice - once when they first opened in Toronto years ago, and a few years ago at Erin Mills. I thought they were not good both times.

The first time I went to Spring Rolls, I had their Pad Thai - it tasted like ketchup (the cheap fake way to make Pad Thai is to use ketchup as a base).

The time I went to Erin Mills, I thought to myself - why are they still in business? The food presentation was okay, but the food tasted like crap.
Okay, maybe not the Pad Thai, but their soups are not watered down, their steaks are delicious. (I have to go back some time and try their lamb chop)
The sashimi was also very good. (I like sashimi in small pieces at a time, so that works for me)

they also made recent changes to the menu since a few years ago. They're in business because, while some of the food might not be the greatest, there is quite a bit of option that is still pretty good.
I just wish they'd bring back the Philly roll with smoked salmon and cream cheese. That would be nice.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3115 posts
1069 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Okay, maybe not the Pad Thai, but their soups are not watered down, their steaks are delicious. (I have to go back some time and try their lamb chop)
The sashimi was also very good. (I like sashimi in small pieces at a time, so that works for me)

they also made recent changes to the menu since a few years ago. They're in business because, while some of the food might not be the greatest, there is quite a bit of option that is still pretty good.
I just wish they'd bring back the Philly roll with smoked salmon and cream cheese. That would be nice.
any of their other rolls have cream cheese? i am sure they can still make it for you, i ask for custom rolls all the time at spoon and fork, i.e. i just ask for "bbq eel, salmon, tuna, avocado, fish eggs"
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: any of their other rolls have cream cheese? i am sure they can still make it for you, i ask for custom rolls all the time at spoon and fork, i.e. i just ask for "bbq eel, salmon, tuna, avocado, fish eggs"
As far as I know, they no longer have any cream cheese at all @ Spring Rolls.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3115 posts
1069 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: As far as I know, they no longer have any cream cheese at all @ Spring Rolls.

buy some and bring it with you and give it to them to make you a philly roll! LOL
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16719 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: buy some and bring it with you and give it to them to make you a philly roll! LOL
I don't think that's an option, but thanks. For the price they charge for AYCE, why waste any extra money?
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4779 posts
1729 upvotes
In the same class as Mandarin ...

For real sushi/sashimi ... there's a great AYCE JAPANESE restaurant located at Middlefield and Steeles in Scarborough and also at Highway 7 and Warden area ... and there's plenty of AYCE Sushi/Sashimi restaurants in Markham as well.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
4205 posts
2617 upvotes
Is it me or all the spring rolls closed down? Square one Erin mills closed...I remember when I was introduce to spring rolls when they had two locations, one being at yonge and bloor. I remember the pad Thai was amazing , huge portions, decent price, fast forward couple years locations popping up everywhere and I agree with a previous post. The pad thai sauce changed and it became more sweeter. And it makes sense when someone mention they changed it to ketchup base and now all locations are closing