Expired Hot Deals

[Springer Nature] Free access to 500 key undergraduate/graduate textbooks from Springer (Business, Computer Science, Engineering...)

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2020 1:24 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 3, 2019
11 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto

Free access to 500 key undergraduate/graduate textbooks from Springer (Business, Computer Science, Engineering...)

Deal Link:
Expiry:
July 31, 2020
Retailer:
Springer Nature
With the Coronavirus outbreak having an unpretextbookscedented impact on education, Springer Nature is launching a global program to support learning and teaching at higher education institutions worldwide. Institutions will be able to access more than 500 key textbooks across Springer Nature’s eBook subject collections for free. These books will be available via SpringerLink until at least the end of July.

You can download the list of free English textbook titles (all disciplines) here: https://resource-cms.springernature.com ... 72/data/v4

Open the Excel file, browse the list, select the title you are interested in and use the link in column "OpenURL" to access the ebook.

Stay at home and skill up!
Last edited by marcusdan18 on Apr 19th, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36 replies
Newbie
Aug 4, 2018
89 posts
294 upvotes
Thanks OP. You can also just go to https://link.springer.com and search for the book to download after viewing the free ones in the spreadsheet (it's not obvious in the website which ones are free vs not so the spreadsheet is still needed)
marcusdan18 wrote: With the Coronavirus outbreak having an unpretextbookscedented impact on education, Springer Nature is launching a global program to support learning and teaching at higher education institutions worldwide. Institutions will be able to access more than 500 key textbooks across Springer Nature’s eBook subject collections for free.

You can download the list of free English textbook titles (all disciplines) here: https://resource-cms.springernature.com ... 72/data/v4

Open the Excel file, browse the list, select the title you are interested in and use the link in column "OpenURL" to access the ebook.

Stay at home and skill up!
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 12, 2013
56 posts
89 upvotes
London
CoolGogo wrote: I did a similar thing, but made a quick Python script that just went through each row and downloaded them all while I went to go make a coffee :).
Would you mind sharing how to do this?
Newbie
Nov 4, 2019
38 posts
12 upvotes
burtonage wrote: Would you mind sharing how to do this?
Something like this with the file from MichaelSun saved as a csv. Direct python to the csv file and wait for all of them to dl.
python.PNG
Last edited by SnowballX on Apr 19th, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9496 posts
4702 upvotes
Markham
Thanks and downlad a few

Most of them are engineering and statistics focus. I wish they have more liberal textbook
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 12, 2013
56 posts
89 upvotes
London
SnowballX wrote: Something like this with the file from MichaelSun saved as a csv. Direct python to the csv file and wait for all of them to dl.

python.PNG
Thanks so much I'll give that a go! (not sure what I am doing but I will find my way!)
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 12, 2013
56 posts
89 upvotes
London
iownyou wrote: Limited selection
Is 400 books too limited of a list of free high quality textbooks?
Newbie
Nov 4, 2019
38 posts
12 upvotes
burtonage wrote: Thanks so much I'll give that a go! (not sure what I am doing but I will find my way!)
Save that text as a .py file. Change the 5th line to where your csv file is ex. f = open('C:\\users\\user\\documents\\file.csv'). If you run that it should work fine and tell you where the textbooks downloaded to.
Newbie
Apr 16, 2007
12 posts
1 upvote
SnowballX wrote: Something like this with the file from MichaelSun saved as a csv. Direct python to the csv file and wait for all of them to dl.

python.PNG
Hi SnowballX, i am not up on python but managed to get the script to run by adding encoding="utf-8 to f but it only downloads one book. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks
Jr. Member
Nov 12, 2016
114 posts
52 upvotes
burtonage wrote: Is 400 books too limited of a list of free high quality textbooks?
LOL for real....I want to download all of them...super grateful
Jr. Member
Nov 12, 2016
114 posts
52 upvotes
Can anyone tell me or help me how to download all of them? I don't know how to use phython.
Member
May 3, 2018
220 posts
340 upvotes
SnowballX wrote: Something like this with the file from MichaelSun saved as a csv. Direct python to the csv file and wait for all of them to dl.

python.PNG
i did something similar in one line


while IFS= read -r line; do curl -O -J "$line" ; done < list.txt

you need to add some headers to the curl command :P
Sr. Member
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is this even real life?

Why on earth do you need an excel sheet then look up links? What kind of Mickey Mouse BS is this? How ironic that they are offering educational material when they cant even simplify a basic website with direct links and a straight forward process themselves.

Got people making scripts and jumping through hoops like circus monkeys.
Last edited by Dav326235 on Apr 19th, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Nov 12, 2016
114 posts
52 upvotes
Dav326235 wrote: Is this even real life?

Why on earth do you need an excel sheet then look up links? What kind of Mickey Mouse BS is this? How ironic that they are offering educational material when they cant even simplify a basic website themselves.

Got people making scripts and jumping through hoops like circus monkeys.
Who cares bro its free still --- let's just find a way to download them all - I don't wanna do it 1 by 1.
Member
Aug 12, 2018
237 posts
74 upvotes
SnowballX wrote: Save that text as a .py file. Change the 5th line to where your csv file is ex. f = open('C:\\users\\user\\documents\\file.csv'). If you run that it should work fine and tell you where the textbooks downloaded to.
he needs to install idle, pip or other then requests with pip. Not so hard but if he doesn't know what is what he cant really run your code.

Top