• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 8:26 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto

Sprinkler Damage Question - Need Parts

Our sidewalk was replaced recently and from the looks of it (we were out of town) they may have damaged our sprinkler heads near the sidewalk.

If I were to open up the main water for all sprinkler system (we have nine zones), I'm guessing if there is damage, we'll see it leak there and would have to shut off the system until we fix it.

Are we able to use any of the other zones or can we not use any at all until it's fixed?
Last edited by cessnabmw on May 15th, 2021 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
9 zone would be 9 different valves.

I would think that you can by pass the zone with the damage head till it’s fixed.

You will just have to see which zone it is.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
badass wrote: 9 zone would be 9 different valves.

I would think that you can by pass the zone with the damage head till it’s fixed.

You will just have to see which zone it is.

Cheers!
Thanks. How would I by-pass a zone?
Last edited by cessnabmw on Mar 24th, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
I remember when you had your system installed years ago, but can't remember how many zones they installed, but I'll make a few comments.

. It's not a concern at the moment as you've winterized the system and you haven't turned on the system this year yet.
. If the head as well as the main/lateral line isn't repaired before you turn on the sprinkler, then just leave the zone turned off via the main controller and or the valve itself.
. Since you had your system installed professionally, the installers would have labelled the controller/main valve to identify which zone to turn off to not allow water to fill the main/later line to the effected zone.
.Repairing the sprinkler/rotor head won't be difficult to replace, especially if you have a funny /swing pipe which most pro's use based on the manufactures recommendations. It's a dyers project.

We can help when it comes time for the repair and yes, you will definitely see if there is a leak if you turn on the zone.

EDIT:
You just don't turn it on, a main controller can operate and not turn on any zone you will like to leave off. I'll assume your controller isn't smart, therefore you would have to reprogram the controller yourself. The other option is to turn of the sprinkler valve that is most likely inside a black irrigation box recessed inside the ground with a green removable cover. Again the valves should be labeled and it will have two wires going to each valve. Raise the green cover and turn the valve I believe about a quarter turn until it's off. It's just easiest to turn off the valve at the controller.
Last edited by MyDream1 on Mar 24th, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
cessnabmw wrote: Thanks. How would I by-pass a zone?
Let us know which controller you have and we can guide you through it, though most are pretty easy to adjust. If your intention is to have the system repaired right away (assuming it is in fact broken) then maybe don't even bother with bypassing it. Just shut the system down if the heads are damaged and call in the pros. They'll take care of the rest.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
MyDream1 wrote: I remember when you had your system installed years ago, but can't remember how many zones they installed, but I'll make a few comments.

. It's not a concern at the moment as you've winterized the system and you haven't turned on the system this year yet.
. If the head as well as the main/lateral line isn't repaired before you turn on the sprinkler, then just leave the zone turned off via the main controller and or the valve itself.
. Since you had your system installed professionally, the installers would have labelled the controller/main valve to identify which zone to turn off to not allow water to fill the main/later line to the effected zone.
.Repairing the sprinkler/rotor head won't be difficult to replace, especially if you have a funny /swing pipe which most pro's use based on the manufactures recommendations. It's a dyers project.

We can help when it comes time for the repair and yes, you will definitely see if there is a leak if you turn on the zone.

EDIT:
You just don't turn it on, a main controller can operate and not turn on any zone you will like to leave off. I'll assume your controller isn't smart, therefore you would have to reprogram the controller yourself. The other option is to turn of the sprinkler valve that is most likely inside a black irrigation box recessed inside the ground with a green removable cover. Again the valves should be labeled and it will have two wires going to each valve. Raise the green cover and turn the valve I believe about a quarter turn until it's off. It's just easiest to turn off the valve at the controller.
Thanks!

I don't believe they are labelled, but I have a rough idea of which one it may be in a box. I have been opening and closing my self for years now.

Will have to open the main valve to the system when the weather is better and figure out which valve I need to close. Then dig up and see what needs to be fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote: Let us know which controller you have and we can guide you through it, though most are pretty easy to adjust. If your intention is to have the system repaired right away (assuming it is in fact broken) then maybe don't even bother with bypassing it. Just shut the system down if the heads are damaged and call in the pros. They'll take care of the rest.
I have the Hunter Pro-C Controller.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Back here again...

Dug up the two sprinkler heads. Can anyone help me identify which ones I need and where in Scarborough / Pickering I can get them?

Home Depot doesn't carry Hunter.

I capped the ends of the two heads for now.
Images
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.01.jpg
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.04.jpg
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.08.jpg
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.15.jpg
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.20.jpg
  • 2021-05-14 17.28.25.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
The first head is a Hunter PGP either ADJ(red) or Ultra(Blue).
https://www.hunterindustries.com/en-met ... ine/Rotors

The second head is one of the Pro Spray Bodies...I'm unsure which one though.
https://www.hunterindustries.com/en-met ... y%20Bodies

You can find a Hunter supplier near you through their website.
https://www.hunterindustries.com/en-met ... nits%5D=km

Here is one in Scarborough on Milner.
https://www.centralirrigationsupply.com/
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
I have rainbird myself and am not familiar with Hunter (good brand), but I believe you will still need a nozzle (I believe one is a sprayer) and rotor as one appears to be a rotor.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I was able to figure out all I needed and had to order from discountsprinklercanada.com. Hunter does not sell to home owners, oy contractors.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
cessnabmw wrote: Thanks. I was able to figure out all I needed and had to order from discountsprinklercanada.com. Hunter does not sell to home owners, oy contractors.
Are you being left on the hook for the damage cost caused by the city contractors? That's a shame if you are. I had contractors from Cogeco cut my sprinkler line recently while installing a line to a neighbours house. They didn't let me know about it and It was pretty obvious that they did it because a piece of the black tubing was sitting on top of the lawn afterward. I've filed a claim with Cogeco and although they are moving at a snail's pace I believe they intend to do the right thing and repair my line.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
nielboy wrote: Are you being left on the hook for the damage cost caused by the city contractors? That's a shame if you are. I had contractors from Cogeco cut my sprinkler line recently while installing a line to a neighbours house. They didn't let me know about it and It was pretty obvious that they did it because a piece of the black tubing was sitting on top of the lawn afterward. I've filed a claim with Cogeco and although they are moving at a snail's pace I believe they intend to do the right thing and repair my line.
+1 OP should contact the city. IMO They will fix the damage or pay to have it fixed.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2006
1143 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Op, I need to do the same.
Can you give some pointers on how to replace?

I have the hunter pgp