Home & Garden

Square Undermounted Sink (vs Round) - is it functional?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2009 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes

Square Undermounted Sink (vs Round) - is it functional?

We're looking at installing square undermounted sinks in our granite countertops for all our bathrooms. Some people have made good comments about how functional different sink shapes are. The vessel sinks don't seem to be all that practical but look great.

Any comments on the practicality and ease of use for square undermounted sinks? We thought this would add a modern feel to the bathrooms, but I don't want to go square (instead of standard round shape) if they will be less practical. Does water splash out any more? Harder to clean?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
20 upvotes
These past few months we've been living in a few different locations so this is from personal experience:

Vessel (or toilet bowl) sinks: look stupid, are stupid and a waste of money.

Square sinks: like square tires, not the best invention and water doesn't flow well in square areas.

Oval sinks: works and looks great. If it ain't broke....
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10917 posts
2032 upvotes
Really? I want a square undermount too for my ensuite when I redo the countertop. Square meaning more rectangle in shape but with curved edges.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6674 posts
1416 upvotes
Aren't many kitchen sinks square-ish with rounded edges? Those square design seem to work just fine.....

Personally I hate the look of the vessel style sinks. And why would you want to clean both the inside AND the outside of the basin? I think that square sinks look great! I've had no personal experience with them so can't comment on functionality, splashing, etc.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1496 upvotes
Brampton
We have 2 Kohler rectangular sinks in our master (not undermount but self rimming) & they work great.
They do have rounded edges so no problem to clean plus they look more funky/modern IMO vs. traditional round :D
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
10917 posts
2032 upvotes
Oh yeah and NO to vessel sinks.

I think I will go ahead with square undermount, they just look so much better.
Jul 21, 2009
159 posts
6 upvotes
We just installed square undermounted sinks in our master bathroom and really like them. I think the square looks more modern but the slant back to the drain makes it more functional. These are the ones...

http://www.caromausa.com/Liano-Under-Counter

At the end of the day, it's whatever you think looks best. After all, it's your house.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10917 posts
2032 upvotes
Just thinking wrote: We just installed square undermounted sinks in our master bathroom and really like them. I think the square looks more modern but the slant back to the drain makes it more functional. These are the ones...

http://www.caromausa.com/Liano-Under-Counter

At the end of the day, it's whatever you think looks best. After all, it's your house.
Was the one you bought expensive?
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
74 upvotes
MrBurns wrote: ...Square sinks: like square tires, not the best invention and water doesn't flow well in square areas.

Oval sinks: works and looks great. If it ain't broke....
If everyone stopped at 'if it ain't broke...,' then the world would be bland and boring. Square sinks aren't all square (see picture above) on the inside, but rather round, so water flow is not an issue.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes
sort of a side question ... do most sinks come with "beauty rings"? I think that's what they are called ... the ring that goes around the hole at the front of the sink.

we're opting with all 3 square-ish sinks, undermounted. gosh, i hope it works out! too many decisions, my head is spinning.