• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2015 11:24 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
442 posts
217 upvotes

Squealing Left Turn (without brakes) - Video Inside

Hi RFD:

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD that squeals when I do left turns. It doesn't necessarily need to have brakes applying while turning for it to squeal. It's gotten progressively louder over the past few weeks. It's also sometimes doing it with right turns now but no where near as frequently or loudly as left turns.

I know the car is known to have squeaky brakes but this noise is without the brakes being applied so I don't believe it's that...

Anyone experience anything similar or have an idea?

12 replies
Jul 28, 2005
126 posts
14 upvotes
I suggest you only make right turns.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
I second ball joint as the cause.
It could be as simple as a ripped boot and all the grease has dried up or the ball joint on its way to separation.

Jack the left side up and rock the wheel (holding the top and bottom) and see if there is any play.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
442 posts
217 upvotes
almo8930 wrote: I suggest you only make right turns.
Tried it... kept wondering why I was passing the same building over and over.
iGarage wrote: sounds like brakes to me
I initially thought this too but my mechanic took the brakes out last time I got an oil change and he cleaned them out but it didn't do anything. Also, could it still be the brakes if the brakes aren't being touched at all when I do the turns?
booblehead wrote: Lower ball joints, i suspect
vkizzle wrote: I second ball joint as the cause.
It could be as simple as a ripped boot and all the grease has dried up or the ball joint on its way to separation.

Jack the left side up and rock the wheel (holding the top and bottom) and see if there is any play.
Hmmm if it ends up having to be replaced, is that a relatively expensive job? I imagine it's recommended to do both sides at once?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
hvargas wrote: Hmmm if it ends up having to be replaced, is that a relatively expensive job? I imagine it's recommended to do both sides at once?
I just did a quick check and it appears you will need to replace the control arm with the ball joint already pressed in, which would be 2hrs or so labour at a shop.
It's not hard as a DIY, removing and installing the control arms.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
It definitely sounds like brakes to me. It sounds like the metallic pads have gotten hard from heat and will continue to squeal until you either replace them or sand them down until
you get past the hard part but my advice is replace them with rotors. Now that is only from a 25 second sound clip have your mechanic do another diagnosis.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22208 posts
2873 upvotes
Does the front have what's called BRAKE DUST SHIELDS? Check if they are not bend
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6139 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Ya brakes not ball joint. Sounds worn to me with the wear sensor touching.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
442 posts
217 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Ya brakes not ball joint. Sounds worn to me with the wear sensor touching.
Sorry, I should've mentioned that the front brakes were changed back in December I believe. My mechanic also checked out the brakes when the squealing started a month or so ago and the brakes were fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4398 posts
807 upvotes
i would jack up and car and take off the wheel to manually check the brake/rotors.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
442 posts
217 upvotes
george__ wrote: Does the front have what's called BRAKE DUST SHIELDS? Check if they are not bend
mingyang wrote: i would jack up and car and take off the wheel to manually check the brake/rotors.
So took off the wheel earlier today and the brake dust shield was pretty warped. Funny thing is that I didn't see where it would be touching the rotor (if the noise is the brake dust shield). Will probably bring to mechanic to hopefully take a more thorough look..