Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1212 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver

Squirrel entered my attic. help

I saw a squirrel push the soffit and appear to entered my attic.
The entrance spot is circled in my picture. The soffit is lifted up compared to others.

Can someone suggest what should be the next step?
Images
  • Inked20210514_024324411_iOS_LI.jpg
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5105 posts
4043 upvotes
Squirrels are the easiest to get rid of, what you should be worried about is mice because if squirrels got in, you can be sure mice did too. Unfortunately, I have extensive with rodents and attics.

You may want to hire a professional if you're not able to easily get up there or if there's more than one entry point. What they'll do (and what you can if you're able) is put one way doors so they can get out, but can't get back in - this isn't some fancy contraption. It's a homemade trap made out of empty caulking tube. Once they're sure they're gone, they'll remove it and seal off the entry point. The material depends how large the entry point is. You'll also want to make it hard for them to get to the spot to begin with - e.g. trim tree branches, etc. There's tons of great resources online to give you more details.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1212 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
Right. That's my thought as well.

In order to get to the entry point, it needs to jump ~4 feet, so i don't suspect mice/rat at this stage....but I can never be 100% certain.

Once i hire someone to get rid of squirrel, I am going to install a wood behind similar easy to reach soffit spots to reinforce the strength.
hierophant wrote: Squirrels are the easiest to get rid of, what you should be worried about is mice because if squirrels got in, you can be sure mice did too. Unfortunately, I have extensive with rodents and attics.

You may want to hire a professional if you're not able to easily get up there or if there's more than one entry point. What they'll do (and what you can if you're able) is put one way doors so they can get out, but can't get back in - this isn't some fancy contraption. It's a homemade trap made out of empty caulking tube. Once they're sure they're gone, they'll remove it and seal off the entry point. The material depends how large the entry point is. You'll also want to make it hard for them to get to the spot to begin with - e.g. trim tree branches, etc. There's tons of great resources online to give you more details.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1750 posts
835 upvotes
GTA
I had to trim back a tree that was too close to my house and I've seen the squirrels jump from tree to tree over 6 ft+ so they CAN jump quite far. Hire a pro since it's not like you can catch a squirrel yourself in your attic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1212 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
For me, the problem isn't from a tree.

It's more from the fence or the wood structure from my neightbour (see picture).

Squirrel can jump from that point to the overhang on my first level. Then, there's a reverse V shape structure between the first floor vs. second floor whereby squirrel can access the roof.

I can install plastic spikes on the fence. Any other idea on how to prevent squirrels from jumping to the overhang on my first level?
Images
  • 20210411_230453710_iOS.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4766 posts
2127 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Fantastical wrote: For me, the problem isn't from a tree.

It's more from the fence or the wood structure from my neightbour (see picture).

Squirrel can jump from that point to the overhang on my first level. Then, there's a reverse V shape structure between the first floor vs. second floor whereby squirrel can access the roof.

I can install plastic spikes on the fence. Any other idea on how to prevent squirrels from jumping to the overhang on my first level?
Maybe it’s just me but that pergola looks quite close to the property line. The photo makes it appear as though it almost hangs over the fence on to your side. If that thing is the issue perhaps you need to mention to your neighbour it’s too close, assuming it does actually infringe on your municipalities setback by-laws.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1212 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, that pergola is right along the fence....probably infringes the setback by laws.

I have seen squirrel jump off that pergola onto my overhang.

It doesn't bother except the rodent issue. I don't want to complain to my neighbour unless it's really an issue....but maybe it's
ChicoQuente wrote: Maybe it’s just me but that pergola looks quite close to the property line. The photo makes it appear as though it almost hangs over the fence on to your side. If that thing is the issue perhaps you need to mention to your neighbour it’s too close, assuming it does actually infringe on your municipalities setback by-laws.
Apr 8, 2013
154 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I'd try contacting a roof repair company. Climb into your attic (wearing a proper mask) before the roofing company arrives. Squirrels are pretty timid and you should be able to evict them fairly quickly.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4150 posts
1720 upvotes
Get a pro to put a one way door, the squirrel will probably stick around a few days trying to find another way inside but will eventually give up. The pro can also put wire mesh over after the eviction so nothing else can get in.