Automotive

Squirrels chewed wires costing $500 repair.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2019 12:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2015
632 posts
287 upvotes
Canada

Squirrels chewed wires costing $500 repair.

Have two cars, one garage.
Parked one inside one outside.
Went to Mexico for a week, come back, see engine light on, used OBD2 to check, its faulty oil sensor, took it to a dealer, expecting a simple swap on the sensor, nope.

Apparently, some animal chewed a wire.
400 for diagnostic and 100 for wire swap.

FML.

On my way to buy wolf & fox pee pee to scare them squirrels. Didnt happen Tiguan or C300 but i guess my cheap jetta doesnt come with a plastic cover underneath.

Happened before to a CRV 10 yrs ago actually, i guess i didnt learn my lesson
45 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6130 posts
4741 upvotes
Whoever introduced food base plastic into cars/complex electronics should be hung, drawn and quartered.
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
347 upvotes
22 rifle will solve problem. Pellet guns don't kill them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9170 posts
3427 upvotes
kalani13291 wrote: 22 rifle will solve problem. Pellet guns don't kill them.
Plenty of dead squirrels out there would disagree if they hadn't been killed by a pellet gun.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6362 posts
2009 upvotes
BC
I think $500 damage from rodents is on the lower end of the scale. You got off lightly.

Not sure presence or not of a plastic undershield is a factor in which vehicle the rodents pick.
Usual preferred point of entry is a duct at the top of the wheelwell. Some cars may have more inviting entry points than others.

No surefire deterrent. Some seem to work for a few people but not for others.
For example, a fake owl whose head revolves and eyes move. The static ones they suss out immediately.
Feb 17, 2015
838 posts
903 upvotes
Canada
$400 to tell you an animal chewed your wires? wow im in the wrong business.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8945 posts
10126 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
kalani13291 wrote: 22 rifle will solve problem. Pellet guns don't kill them.
Outdoor/barn cats are great if you are in a rural area. All they ask is some shelter and some food and water. Plus you get to save them if you get them from a feral rescue. Rodents be like “ummm yeah, I’m outta here”
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
347 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: $400 to tell you an animal chewed your wires? wow im in the wrong business.
They had to find the fault. Easy now that you know it was squirrels. Not many mechanics can trouble shoot electrical and I'm guessing they are paid crap
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8822 upvotes
Toronto
You should see the damage that mice can do. Squirrels are nothing.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15680 posts
16833 upvotes
Oakville
CuriousJack wrote: $400 to tell you an animal chewed your wires? wow im in the wrong business.
I suspect the OP got the numbers mixed up, because $100 is awfully cheap for the work.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: On my way to buy wolf & fox pee pee to scare them squirrels. Didnt happen Tiguan or C300 but i guess my cheap jetta doesnt come with a plastic cover underneath.
Pee doesn't work.

I found hot sauce works - but needs to be reapplied every now and then.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4019 posts
1618 upvotes
I was hungry

I know there were squirrels and mice in my garage, kinda surprised they didn't get in the cars lol
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15680 posts
16833 upvotes
Oakville
I found nut shells on my shock towers, luckily no car damage though. I think it was the chipmunks.
I guess if you don't want them to eat your car, give them something better to eat. In my area there are tons of oak trees for them to eat acorns from.
Dec 23, 2007
405 posts
93 upvotes
Hamilton
I have a customer that has a brand new lexus that this happened to. He had just bought the car, went away for a 2 week vacation and came back and his car started throwing up all sorts of Check Engine Codes. He was baffled and couldn't even turn the car on to drive it to the dealership. They towed it in and it took them forever to diagnose and even longer to get the thing back together. He's horrified that it may have future issues but luckily for him it's a lease lol. Squirrels had chewed through a bunch of the wires and it cost him a hell of a lot more than $400, maybe 10x the amount. I never asked if it was taken care of by his insurance or if he had to pay out of pocket.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2015
632 posts
287 upvotes
Canada
flying triangle wrote: I have a customer that has a brand new lexus that this happened to. He had just bought the car, went away for a 2 week vacation and came back and his car started throwing up all sorts of Check Engine Codes. He was baffled and couldn't even turn the car on to drive it to the dealership. They towed it in and it took them forever to diagnose and even longer to get the thing back together. He's horrified that it may have future issues but luckily for him it's a lease lol. Squirrels had chewed through a bunch of the wires and it cost him a hell of a lot more than $400, maybe 10x the amount. I never asked if it was taken care of by his insurance or if he had to pay out of pocket.
I also read that this kind of incidents are covered by comprehensive plans"
Not sure if it will raise the insurance rate tho.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2151 upvotes
GTA
A lot of boats have been damaged while in winter storage by rodents if boat isn't shrink wrapped.