SR&ED consultant at Big4 And other top accounting firms

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2017 1:19 am
[OP]
Oct 29, 2013
61 posts
Winnipeg

SR&ED consultant at Big4 And other top accounting firms

Does anyone know what it's like to work as SR&ED consultant at big accounting firms? Is it really stressful? How would you compare it to an engineering position at a large fast paced manufacturing company?
5 replies
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
115 upvotes
Alberta
This is no different than people working in Taxation or financial planning. Typical job responsibility include costing and record keeping for SR&ED technical claim. There are two components one is targeted toward financials the other is technical. Typically if you are accountant then you focus on the financial part and if you are engineer then focus on technical aspect. Stress is no different than any other positions in big 4.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2013
61 posts
Winnipeg
albertaguy wrote: This is no different than people working in Taxation or financial planning. Typical job responsibility include costing and record keeping for SR&ED technical claim. There are two components one is targeted toward financials the other is technical. Typically if you are accountant then you focus on the financial part and if you are engineer then focus on technical aspect. Stress is no different than any other positions in big 4.
Thanks for your reply! Ive personally never was interested in working for Big4 or other prestigious accounting firms. But there was this position open that required an engineering degree and experience, and I got this job. Do you think its worth it to work at Big4 accounting firms with all the stress? I'm a bit scared about leaving my current job because I'm afraid of losing my manager, who is super supportive and a great manager. BUT, thats about it. Thats the only thing I like about this job at the manufacturing company. I don't like everything else. But I think having a great manager is a very important thing.

I'm just a little nervous about constant travelling as a consultant. I don't travel much and I personally don't meet many new people every day as I'm not very out going. But, I'm wondering if I can change. If I start this job and continue for a couple months, would I get used to it? I'm guessing so but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyones advice is welcome.

Also maybe someone whos a consultant had a similar experience as me? Hope to hear their experiences too.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1957 posts
852 upvotes
HK
sw6lee wrote: Thanks for your reply! Ive personally never was interested in working for Big4 or other prestigious accounting firms. But there was this position open that required an engineering degree and experience, and I got this job. Do you think its worth it to work at Big4 accounting firms with all the stress? I'm a bit scared about leaving my current job because I'm afraid of losing my manager, who is super supportive and a great manager. BUT, thats about it. Thats the only thing I like about this job at the manufacturing company. I don't like everything else. But I think having a great manager is a very important thing.

I'm just a little nervous about constant travelling as a consultant. I don't travel much and I personally don't meet many new people every day as I'm not very out going. But, I'm wondering if I can change. If I start this job and continue for a couple months, would I get used to it? I'm guessing so but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyones advice is welcome.

Also maybe someone whos a consultant had a similar experience as me? Hope to hear their experiences too.
Just to shed some light on the traveling lifestyle aspect.

It's a bit difficult to go from introverted to extroverted, even if you fake it, it will take a toll on you. From my experience, it's NOT for everyone, and many folks burn out after 2 years on when they get married/have kids, whichever comes first. That being said, it is a unique opportunity that not many people will have access to in their lifetimes. I've been doing this for quite some times and seen may colleagues come and go.
May 23, 2006
847 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver
Although I have never been a SRED consultant, I worked for a Company and interacted with SRED consultant from a big 4 firm.

Pros:
You get to travel and interact with clients if you are outgoing
You get to learn different technologies used by your client

Cons:
You are expendable and can never charge too much to your client. Your client can simply do the technical write ups themselves.
You will never get an in depth understanding of the technology used by your client. The client will just educate you enough so that you can help them write the technical write ups.
SRED rules are always changing, and the government can scale back on the amount of SRED credit at anytime. If that's the case, the role of big 4 SRED consultant will be in jeopardy.