• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 7:25 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2008
591 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto

SSD file recovery help

Today my computer SSD drive has failed. The computer turns on but won't boot into windows (nothing happens). It is a Lenovo w-520. Is there any way to get info off the hard drive or am I ****? Have any of you been able to recover files from an SSD? Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: It is seen in the bios but won't boot. Tried an enclosure but it isn't detected.
Last edited by b3lb3l on Jul 27th, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8344 posts
4057 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There's disk recovery outfits (you pay but there's no guarantee of recovery) so the question is how much is the data worth to you.

If you were using Windows, hopefully you had data backed up to the cloud.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
b3lb3l wrote: Today my computer hard drive has failed. The computer turns on but won't boot into windows (nothing happens). It is a Lenovo w-520. Is there any way to get info off the hard drive or am I ****? Any help would be much appreciated.
does it spin

Remove the drive and put it into another computer, not as a window drive, but as a secondary.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2008
591 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: does it spin

Remove the drive and put it into another computer, not as a window drive, but as a secondary.
I put it into an enclosure and nothing is detected on there. I guess I am sool.
Last edited by b3lb3l on Jul 27th, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2878 posts
222 upvotes
Burlington
An SSD wouldn't spin or make noise.

Where are you located? Can you grab a drive enclosure or dock and smack it on another computer to try?

If not swing by a local Bestbuy and ask if they can see whether the drive shows on their computer. I only say Bestbuy cause I've had them do it and it's painless with no cost to check. Other companies have been inconsistent.

Data recovery is expensive if the physical drive has failed, I'd make a decision on how much it's worth to you.

If you're in the Burlington or surrounding area I'd be happy to help check it for you on one of my systems. The data recovery part I can't do much about tho :(
[OP]
Apr 29, 2008
591 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
DarkMasterMX wrote: An SSD wouldn't spin or make noise.

Where are you located? Can you grab a drive enclosure or dock and smack it on another computer to try?

If not swing by a local Bestbuy and ask if they can see whether the drive shows on their computer. I only say Bestbuy cause I've had them do it and it's painless with no cost to check. Other companies have been inconsistent.

Data recovery is expensive if the physical drive has failed, I'd make a decision on how much it's worth to you.

If you're in the Burlington or surrounding area I'd be happy to help check it for you on one of my systems. The data recovery part I can't do much about tho :(
Thanks. I tried an enclosure and it's not being detected. Looks like I am screwed. I will need data recovery. Suggestions?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44400 posts
7697 upvotes
I know this is a long shot, but do you have any backups?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1066 posts
537 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
b3lb3l wrote: Thanks. I tried an enclosure and it's not being detected. Looks like I am screwed. I will need data recovery. Suggestions?
Just to be clear, when you say you tried an enclosure and it isn't detected, what do you mean? Are you plugging it into a different computer and seeing if the drive is detected?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4465 posts
26420 upvotes
I was too tired to type out something for you but you are pretty much SOL when it comes to SSD data recovery. If you want to spend $$$$ not $, or $$ or $$$.

There are places in the GTA that do this professionally and I guarantee you it’s not cheap.

“Every HDD contains a magnetic disk (or stacked disks). ... And while they might not last as long and are vulnerable to physical damage, recovering data from a failed HDD is reportedly easier than from SSDs. SSDs on the other hand use a different type of technology that doesn't rely on the moving parts of an HDD.Mar 8, 2018“
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2008
591 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
ugly wrote: Just to be clear, when you say you tried an enclosure and it isn't detected, what do you mean? Are you plugging it into a different computer and seeing if the drive is detected?
I have it plugged into a second computer via usb as a mass storage device and it is not detected.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2878 posts
222 upvotes
Burlington
b3lb3l wrote: Thanks. I tried an enclosure and it's not being detected. Looks like I am screwed. I will need data recovery. Suggestions?
I see your profile says toronto, like I said if you're near the Burlington area I can try to offer some troubleshooting help. But as mentioned, usually data recovery on SSD's (even HDDs) is expensive. Generally $500-$600 to start? I've found recovery is a bit trickier since its not a standard platter/disc system with a reading head. Now you're playing with small circuitry and chips.
Nov 18, 2019
327 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
Have you checked with some of the paid recovery softwares? Download the trial version and see if they detect the drive.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14589 upvotes
ChibaK wrote: Have you checked with some of the paid recovery softwares? Download the trial version and see if they detect the drive.
If the drive isn't detected by the computer software is useless.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
b3lb3l wrote: Today my computer SSD drive has failed. The computer turns on but won't boot into windows (nothing happens). It is a Lenovo w-520. Is there any way to get info off the hard drive or am I ****? Have any of you been able to recover files from an SSD? Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: It is seen in the bios but won't boot. Tried an enclosure but it isn't detected.
Instead of an enclosure try another laptop (another lenovo from around the same time period is most ideal) that can accept the same interface. It also means you'll be using that SSD as a windows drive meaning more chance of data being overwritten. Short of paying loads of money you dont appear to have many options.
Nov 18, 2019
327 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: If the drive isn't detected by the computer software is useless.
I had a similar issue where Windows did not identify one of my hard disks. I took it out and connected externally but it would not detect. However if I went into Disk Management it would show. The recovery software also identified the drive.

Note: you would need another computer to do this...
[OP]
Apr 29, 2008
591 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
ChibaK wrote: The recovery software also identified the drive.
Can you recommend recovery software? Do you remember what you used?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1391 posts
1025 upvotes
Québec
b3lb3l wrote: Can you recommend recovery software? Do you remember what you used?
try EASEUS Data Recovery to restore lost partition and raw data. I had sucess with an harddrive not seen in windows but show in bios.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1391 posts
1025 upvotes
Québec
death_hawk wrote: If the drive isn't detected by the computer software is useless.
That's not true. If like he said it's seen in bios, then he has a chance. I was able to recover data in raw HDD.
If you loose the partition table, then windows will not the see the drive. But you may rebuild it or at least get some data back. I did this this many times with HDD.
Nov 18, 2019
327 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
elgros4 wrote: try EASEUS Data Recovery to restore lost partition and raw data. I had sucess with an harddrive not seen in windows but show in bios.
:) That's what I trialed as well. I was too cheap to buy the full version and tried the eBay method.

FYI - not worth trying to get a key from eBay...
Aug 20, 2010
24 posts
8 upvotes
hawkesbury
Try DMDE - DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software.It did wonders for me on a dropped drive when everything else failed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)