SSD file recovery help

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 7:25 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29319 posts
14825 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: That's not true.
How can it not be? If your computer doesn't see the drive, software won't see the drive.
If like he said it's seen in bios, then he has a chance.

That was added in after my comment. That means the computer can see the drive.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6471 posts
1593 upvotes
Montreal
What brand of SSD is it? I had issues with an ADATA SSD and their tech support told me the way to fix it was to reset the built-in controller.

This is what they said:
Unplug the SATA connection and boot for 30 seconds with the Power connection only. It helps resetting the SSD's controller.
Phils
Jun 10, 2006
474 posts
136 upvotes
If it was me, I would wonder what messages show up in the system console when I would plug that drive into a computer running Linux. if nothing at all, that would confirm its dead state -- but if something did show, maybe perhaps Linux would have a chance to dig deeper (?).
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2023 posts
351 upvotes
COU
darethehair wrote: If it was me, I would wonder what messages show up in the system console when I would plug that drive into a computer running Linux. if nothing at all, that would confirm its dead state -- but if something did show, maybe perhaps Linux would have a chance to dig deeper (?).
Agree. Even booting from a Linux live USB drive would do.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1102 posts
576 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Phils wrote: What brand of SSD is it? I had issues with an ADATA SSD and their tech support told me the way to fix it was to reset the built-in controller.

This is what they said:
That actually can help. The brand shouldn't matter. If I was the OP, I would give that a shot. I remember having to do that one time a long time ago. Don't remember what the symptoms were, but it did fix it.
Jan 12, 2017
620 posts
233 upvotes
b3lb3l wrote: I have it plugged into a second computer via usb as a mass storage device and it is not detected.
Just a FYI, I had an external enclosure that would work fine, but when I took out the bare drive and added it to my desktop, the file format wasn't seen. The reverse was true too, formatted on the PC and then installed in the external enclosure and it wouldn't be recognized. I got rid of the proprietary enclosure and replaced it with a variety that appreciates both the PC & External format. Long short of this; is not to trust an external enclosure for recognition, find a desktop PC, attach the bare drive as a secondary, then use recovery software trials to interrogate.

Good luck. Paid recovery as noted is in the $$$$ and doubtful of any real recovery, maybe a few blocks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Phils wrote: What brand of SSD is it? I had issues with an ADATA SSD and their tech support told me the way to fix it was to reset the built-in controller.

This is what they said:
ugly wrote: That actually can help. The brand shouldn't matter. If I was the OP, I would give that a shot. I remember having to do that one time a long time ago. Don't remember what the symptoms were, but it did fix it.
I got excited when I read this. Have an OCZ Vertex 3 that failed (out of warranty) a few years ago. Tried the power-only methods 3x but still not being recoqnized by BIOS (did check vs a working HDD).

Any other methods?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1102 posts
576 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
thriftshopper wrote: I got excited when I read this. Have an OCZ Vertex 3 that failed (out of warranty) a few years ago. Tried the power-only methods 3x but still not being recoqnized by BIOS (did check vs a working HDD).

Any other methods?
OCZ drives are quite old. And if I remember correctly, they were notorious for failing. I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.

I know you want to get some value out of something you already bought, but you can easily find something a lot more reliable, and something that has a lot more capacity for much cheaper now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ugly wrote: OCZ drives are quite old. And if I remember correctly, they were notorious for failing. I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.

I know you want to get some value out of something you already bought, but you can easily find something a lot more reliable, and something that has a lot more capacity for much cheaper now.
Thanks. I figured I'd give it a try. The SSD has been long replaced but I have a couple (actually 3) computers that could use a boot up drive. Already have 6 computers with SSDs around the house (for 2 people) and don't really need another 1 let alone 3 unless the cats learn to use computers.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)