Computers & Electronics

SSD's that include cloning software

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2016 1:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 17, 2003
578 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay

SSD's that include cloning software

Hi,looking to upgrade to an ssd,want to purchase one with the cloning software included,not as easy to find as I thought,use to use hdd's from western digital and Seagate which included the software, easy as pie,so I thought an ssd would include the software as well,apparently not,lol,I can find good deal's on ssd's but none mention if cloning software is included.Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5316 posts
3344 upvotes
Toronto
MiniTool Partition Wizard can clone a drive if you're just looking for cloning software.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6515 posts
2983 upvotes
Macrium Reflect free version works fine for cloning hdd to ssd.
Member
Dec 23, 2015
353 posts
231 upvotes
Kingston, ON
The new PNY SSD's (black and red coloured box) come with Acronos True Imagine which I find works really well and is super fast at cloning.

Samsung SSD's come with Samsung Magician which will allow you to clone as well I believe.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 6, 2010
1340 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Intel SSD has Intel Data Migration Software
I love Witcher 3!!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 7, 2006
1653 posts
238 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote: Macrium Reflect free version works fine for cloning hdd to ssd.
Just used it today for 2 laptops. Really easy to use, both took 1 hr to complete (320gb to 480gb). To extend the volumes, just went under disk management and extended the volume through windows.

No need to purchase SSD with software.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2589 posts
1159 upvotes
GTA
+ 1 for the free edition of Macrium Reflect....have used it a few times successfully and have read many positive comments about it in previous threads here on RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1006 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
I used EaseUS (free version) to clone my HD. It even has a feature to "optimize for SDD" ... It was highly recommended on Lifehacker.com as well ...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
6669 posts
3689 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
mcfrugal wrote: I used EaseUS (free version) to clone my HD. It even has a feature to "optimize for SDD" ... It was highly recommended on Lifehacker.com as well ...
+1
Excellent SSD capable software.
I used on my refurb Dell E6420, then replaced the stock HDD with the SSD and put that HDD in a caddy where the DVD drive was.
Dual SSD/HDD system for cheap!
Member
Nov 4, 2014
208 posts
127 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Woah! wrote: +1
Excellent SSD capable software.
I used on my refurb Dell E6420, then replaced the stock HDD with the SSD and put that HDD in a caddy where the DVD drive was.
Dual SSD/HDD system for cheap!
+2
I used this software as well even though the Kingston HyperX Savage came with Acronis, it was the 2014 version that doesn't support Windows 10 :twisted:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 18, 2012
1308 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
The AMD SSD come with a cloning software which I buy it in bestbuy.
Simple is the best.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22095 posts
2763 upvotes
Samsung Magician
Crucial has a license for Acronis
EaseUS
Clonezilla (advanced especially with two different sized drives)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7359 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mcfrugal wrote: I used EaseUS (free version) to clone my HD. It even has a feature to "optimize for SDD" ... It was highly recommended on Lifehacker.com as well ...
This one gets my vote too. Really easy to use and really fast

I have the paid version and it came with a cable to plug in the SSD to a USB 3 port
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4454 posts
693 upvotes
I used Aomei backupper to migrate to a new drive and it worked brilliantly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
forthman wrote: Hi,looking to upgrade to an ssd,want to purchase one with the cloning software included,not as easy to find as I thought,use to use hdd's from western digital and Seagate which included the software, easy as pie,so I thought an ssd would include the software as well,apparently not,lol,I can find good deal's on ssd's but none mention if cloning software is included.Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Highly recommend not cloning and taking the opportunity for a fresh install.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: Highly recommend not cloning and taking the opportunity for a fresh install.
A fresh install of Windows is always good for cleaning up Microsoft's abominable registry, but that has nothing to do with converting HDD to SSD. There's no disadvantage to cloning when it comes to SSD performance. Just make sure your cloning utility supports optimizing the partition alignment for SSD, and that TRIM support is enabled in Windows for the new SSD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: A fresh install of Windows is always good for cleaning up Microsoft's abominable registry, but that has nothing to do with converting HDD to SSD. There's no disadvantage to cloning when it comes to SSD performance. Just make sure your cloning utility supports optimizing the partition alignment for SSD, and that TRIM support is enabled in Windows for the new SSD.
True but I meant psychologically as well. I recently upgraded to an SSD and forced myself to sort through my old files and delete unnecessary stuff. I also had a ton of programs that I didn't need and haven't bothered to reinstall.
Member
Jan 31, 2004
378 posts
135 upvotes
IMHO, there is no free recovery software better than Weeam Endpoint Backup. It's the best I've seen at bare metal recovery. I highly recommend it if you are trying to upgrade from one HDD to another. It supports ssd also.

Top