Expired Offers

Locked: Bottega Veneta Black Intrecciato Bifold Wallet $390

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2020 9:41 pm
Newbie
Sep 22, 2016
70 posts
64 upvotes
Xtyle86 wrote: and I just provided an example of how the design and construction argument doesn't work for this product. I will take that as yes and stay angry.
The whole discussion was on designer goods as a whole as demonstrated previously and not just a singular product. If you choose to move the goalpost, then there is nothing I can do about your circular logic.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1418 posts
2634 upvotes
Markham
Xtyle86 wrote: huh?

so let me summarize,
- you want to flex
- you want to buy BV wallet
- sees $600 price tag
- waits
- sees discounted $400 price tag
- BETTER VALUE

That right? lol

stop nitpicking. I can list multiple leathersmiths who can produce comparable quality work for $100.
If my math is correct, I can affirm that $400 is indeed a better value than $600. Maybe a math Ph.D. can double check my work?

And if my eyes are correct, I can see there is a significant difference in design between a simple wallet billfold vs a weaved leather design. Maybe a design major can check my work on that too?

If there's someone nitpicking and trying to not understand a pretty simple concept, I'm going to take a leap and say it's probably not me.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave510 wrote: If my math is correct, I can affirm that $400 is indeed a better value than $600. Maybe a math Ph.D. can double check my work?

And if my eyes are correct, I can see there is a significant difference in design between a simple wallet billfold vs a weaved leather design. Maybe a design major can check my work on that too?

If there's someone nitpicking and trying to not understand a pretty simple concept, I'm going to take a leap and say it's probably not me.
$400 is better than $600 yes. but they are both worse than $100.
There is a significant difference in design but one is objectively better than the other? no. If you are telling me you absolutely love the design of it. I'm not going to argue with that. But I'm doubtful.
don't really need degrees.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
tleonidas wrote: The whole discussion was on designer goods as a whole as demonstrated previously and not just a singular product. If you choose to move the goalpost, then there is nothing I can do about your circular logic.
there is nothing you can do. that I agree
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1418 posts
2634 upvotes
Markham
Xtyle86 wrote: $400 is better than $600 yes. but they are both worse than $100.
There is a significant difference in design but one is objectively better than the other? no. If you are telling me you absolutely love the design of it. I'm not going to argue with that. But I'm doubtful.
don't really need degrees.
Ok, glad we've finally reached a consensus.

You agree that there is a difference in design, and that there are some people who would pay a premium for a better design. In other words, not EVERYONE is paying just for the brand name to flex.

And if you don't think people pay extra for design or to look cool, just look at alcantara in cars. They are objectively both less durable and cheaper than leather, but sports car (so branding is out of the equation, since you are paying for the exact same car, just with a different interior) will often charge extra for alcantara rather than leather. The reason is because there is demand, and the only explanation for that demand is people prefer the look of alcantara, even if it's inferior in almost every other way compared to leather.
Last edited by Dave510 on Feb 25th, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Sep 22, 2016
70 posts
64 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: Ok, glad we've finally reached a consensus.

You agree that there is a difference in design, and that there are some people who would pay a premium for a better design. In other words, not EVERYONE is paying just for the brand name to flex.
I wouldn't bother with him, he can't see things beyond his nuanced POV. And any attempts made will be met with further goalpost moving.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
3179 posts
1867 upvotes
Kitchener
yyzthe6 wrote: For those interested, noticed that this wallet is lower priced than competitors. This wallet is usually selling over $500.

Only for those who don’t mind shelling out more for luxury brands, so let’s not debate diminishing value, Honda V’S bmw etc :)
I am going to have ask to be educated on this one. I do understand the differences from a Honda to a BMW -- one is Econo car, occasionally souped up as a pocket rocket, though very reliable and safe, versus more of a semi-sport/very low end luxury car. Perhaps better analogy would be Honda versus a Rolls-Royce (the car, not the engine).

With that said, there is a huge difference, and very noticeable difference, between a $25,000 Civic versus a $250,000 Rolls-Royce. Not just spec wise. but the looks you'd get while driving (the Rolls, obviously).

So what is special about Bottega? Is it strictly name? Or is there more?

I myself have slightly higher end wallets, like $100-$140 range (Bellroy) -- purchased for quality, look and feel. It can't be compared to $20 wallet specials, let alone $80 wallets from The Bay.

I ask because I did look at the wallet, and didn't see anything sticking about it. I imagine the leather quality and build would be great. But from a leather quality and build, is this more name than anything else?
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
tleonidas wrote: I wouldn't bother with him, he can't see things beyond his nuanced POV. And any attempts made will be met with further goalpost moving.
Lol

Go ahead and make friends. You were done a long ago for your construction argument.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave510 wrote: Ok, glad we've finally reached a consensus.

You agree that there is a difference in design, and that there are some people who would pay a premium for a better design. In other words, not EVERYONE is paying just for the brand name to flex.

And if you don't think people pay extra for design or to look cool, just look at alcantara in cars. They are objectively both less durable and cheaper than leather, but sports car (so branding is out of the equation, since you are paying for the exact same car, just with a different interior) will often charge extra for alcantara rather than leather. The reason is because there is demand, and the only explanation for that demand is people prefer the look of alcantara, even if it's inferior in almost every other way compared to leather.
Why bring car into this? Car is a terrible comparison. Shows your lack of reasoning.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17751 posts
5691 upvotes
Toronto
LOL when your wallet costs more than what's actually in it.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
jeff1970 wrote: I am going to have ask to be educated on this one. I do understand the differences from a Honda to a BMW -- one is Econo car, occasionally souped up as a pocket rocket, though very reliable and safe, versus more of a semi-sport/very low end luxury car. Perhaps better analogy would be Honda versus a Rolls-Royce (the car, not the engine).

With that said, there is a huge difference, and very noticeable difference, between a $25,000 Civic versus a $250,000 Rolls-Royce. Not just spec wise. but the looks you'd get while driving (the Rolls, obviously).

So what is special about Bottega? Is it strictly name? Or is there more?

I myself have slightly higher end wallets, like $100-$140 range (Bellroy) -- purchased for quality, look and feel. It can't be compared to $20 wallet specials, let alone $80 wallets from The Bay.

I ask because I did look at the wallet, and didn't see anything sticking about it. I imagine the leather quality and build would be great. But from a leather quality and build, is this more name than anything else?
It is all name. Ridiculously, they are just trying to argue against it.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1418 posts
2634 upvotes
Markham
Xtyle86 wrote: Why bring car into this? Car is a terrible comparison. Shows your lack of reasoning.
Because you seem to have trouble understanding very basic logic, so I thought a concrete example of paying for design would be easier to understand for you.

But your response does prove @tleonidas point. You didn't even bother to say why it's a terrible comparison, you just stated it like your word is a fact, and the example is just that, tangential.

You've already acknowledged that your initial blanket statement was plain wrong, so I'm going to stop feeding you.
Newbie
Sep 22, 2016
70 posts
64 upvotes
Xtyle86 wrote: Lol

Go ahead and make friends. You were done a long ago for your construction argument.
You made a generalization statement which I addressed and when I do so, you tell me that it's not a valid argument you were actually referring to this item in particular. Some spectacular goalpost moving and you can't even refute it because it's clearly shown in the history that you were just moving the arguments around. But yeah keep misinterpreting what I said to make yourself feel better :D Have a good night

Image

Image
Member
Aug 16, 2010
345 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
tleonidas wrote: You made a generalization statement which I addressed and when I do so, you tell me that it's not a valid argument you were actually referring to this item in particular. Some spectacular goalpost moving and you can't even refute it because it's clearly shown in the history that you were just moving the arguments around. But yeah keep misinterpreting what I said to make yourself feel better :D Have a good night

Image

Image
Like I said, done.
Newbie
Sep 22, 2016
70 posts
64 upvotes
Xtyle86 wrote: Like I said, done.
Good to know you are only capable of so much goalpost moving when faced with screenshots of what was really said. Cya

Top