Deal Link:
Expiry:
May 31, 2018
Retailer:
Stablehost
Stockholm server only.
Promo code "STOCKHOLM"

Previous thread: stablehost-75-off-web-hosting-life-48h-only-2185341/

FWIW, our company has used Stablehost as a backup hosting site for several years, still on one of these 75%-off-for-life plans, and it has been reliable. But I think the company changed ownership recently.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1243 posts
450 upvotes
Where do you see Stockholm servers? Does this apply to the starter or pro package?
Mar 3, 2015
414 posts
461 upvotes
King City
I dont think you need to select stockholm servers to get it this time. I selected Pheonix and it worked for me.

My question is, how does StableHost compare to other webhosts say iPage or Bluehost. My 3 year iPage hosting is coming to an end and I'm looking for a faster webhost. I'm currently considering Bluehost but curious how speeds are with StableHost
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
2404 posts
571 upvotes
London
Unlimited space and bw...

can you just use this as a cheap cloud drive???
Jan 31, 2011
844 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
brucedlx wrote: Unlimited space and bw...

250MB max per video file.

User may not:

Use 75% or more of your max system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP scripts, HTTP, etc.
Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.
Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrents off-site, but may not host or store them on our shared servers.
Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
Run any gaming servers such as Counter Strike, Half-Life, Battle Field, etc...
Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes.
Run any MySQL queries longer than 15 seconds. MySQL tables should be indexed appropriately.
When using PHP include functions for including a local file, include the local file rather than the URL. Instead of include("http://yourdomain.com/include.php") use include("include.php")
Store backups on your account, if you need a backup provider, we suggest dropbox.com
Store any multimedia larger than 250MB per video on your account.
Share your account with your friends and family members. Your account is for your websites only.
Store files on their StableHost account that is not for their website hosted at StableHost. (Example: Storing media files for another website)
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11920 posts
3041 upvotes
no such thing as unlimited space and bandwidth Face With Tears Of Joy
brucedlx wrote: Unlimited space and bw...

[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
2404 posts
571 upvotes
London
thunderbolt wrote: 250MB max per video file.

User may not:

Use 75% or more of your max system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP scripts, HTTP, etc.
Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.
Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrents off-site, but may not host or store them on our shared servers.
Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
Run any gaming servers such as Counter Strike, Half-Life, Battle Field, etc...
Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes.
Run any MySQL queries longer than 15 seconds. MySQL tables should be indexed appropriately.
When using PHP include functions for including a local file, include the local file rather than the URL. Instead of include("http://yourdomain.com/include.php") use include("include.php")
Store backups on your account, if you need a backup provider, we suggest dropbox.com
Store any multimedia larger than 250MB per video on your account.
Share your account with your friends and family members. Your account is for your websites only.
Store files on their StableHost account that is not for their website hosted at StableHost. (Example: Storing media files for another website)
I figured as much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
"Unlimited space" is a gimmick used by a lot of web hosting services now. What they mean is "we've decided to allocate only the minimum space you need on our shared drive instead of giving you dedicated space, and if you need more you can explain to us why and we may grudgingly grant you a bit more".

The reality is that you are on a shared server with limited resources. You are constrained in many ways by that circumstance, and the hosting service will place limits or impose restrictions to keep you from hogging resources. They don't usually publish any specs for how many sites are sharing what level of resources, so you can only tell by experimenting.
Sep 25, 2007
549 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Been with stablehost for years and have nothing but positive things to say. Excellent support/service.

For anyone else who's already got an account with them: they couldn't/didn't just switch me over, so I had to:
  1. purchase the new plan (using a different domain name),
  2. wait for it to be activated,
  3. open a ticket with tech support to migrate it,
  4. download the backup (strongly recommended),
  5. submit a cancellation request for the old plan,
  6. wait for them to cancel old plan and migrate everything to new one.