• Jan 15th, 2021 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13944 posts
11570 upvotes
Leask
coolintheshade wrote: Anyone else seeing offers similar to these inside Stack app?

Yes, got all of those.
No solicitation in sigs
Mar 14, 2014
621 posts
764 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Just found out that MBNA (à la TD) have added the 1% / $7.50 min fee to cash advances (plus the lousy 2.5% FTF remains). It's now more than useless, and perhaps only a mag strip to park MBNA CL. I otherwise have zero use for that "low interest" card now. Stack will be my ATM card when travelling overseas.
I just applied for the Stack card based on the comments in this thread. I've noticed you mentioned elsewhere that you feel a combination of the HT Preferred Visa and Stack Mastercard make for ideal cards on foreign trips. I don't think you've given an opinion on the Brim MasterCard and how it would fit
together with the other aforementioned cards?
Jul 27, 2017
154 posts
175 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: I just applied for the Stack card based on the comments in this thread. I've noticed you mentioned elsewhere that you feel a combination of the HT Preferred Visa and Stack Mastercard make for ideal cards on foreign trips. I don't think you've given an opinion on the Brim MasterCard and how it would fit
Not titaniumtux but here are my 2 cents.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on Brim since it seems like they have a bunch of issues (card delays, confusing situation with the app, homebrew foreign exchange rates, spotty support...) seems like a headache to deal with them now.

Maybe one day they will have their act together and have a compelling product but that day is not today.

HT has known problems but it's more widely available and AFAIK better supported and established - if you run into an issue there is actually someone you can call. Stack has yet to be tested (but at least they are sending out cards and launched a working app *cough*Brim*cough*) so the jury is still out on that. But I think a less risky combo is HT + Stack.

Of course there are other options like the Rogers WE and Scotiabank card but that's a different story for a another time.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13944 posts
11570 upvotes
Leask
flyjazz wrote: I just applied for the Stack card based on the comments in this thread. I've noticed you mentioned elsewhere that you feel a combination of the HT Preferred Visa and Stack Mastercard make for ideal cards on foreign trips. I don't think you've given an opinion on the Brim MasterCard and how it would fit
+1 what @nochill said.

Perhaps not very RFD of me, but I don't value "getting all the cards". My grandfathered MBNA PL has served me well as a cash advance card for years (even after grandfathering), where I bit the 2.5% FTF, but skipped the lousy $7.50 cash advance fee, and often prepaid the card to skip the 9% interest. Then I hit Africa (sub-Saharan) where a MasterCard at the bank was no more than a conversation starter. My MBNA card is nerfed, they added the lousy $7.50 fee to it.

From experience and suspicions, my understanding is that ATM acceptance is ranked:
  1. (Personal) CREDIT card (or business, whatever, but with a CL, not prepaid)
  2. prepaid cards (TBH untested as I haven't travelled on them yet, but seems promising)
  3. debit cards (if only Interac network, won't work outside of Canada, FTF can be even higher than 2.5% à la TD)

I think Stack is primarily cool for me for now for its general offerings (streaming free for a year, other sporadic offers), but since I have the card, if travelling to EU/Asia/Oceania/LATAM, I'll probably use it "because it's there". Now it's my no-FTF, no ATM fee MC card. Don't need another one because, I still need a no-FTF visa for where MC won't work, also as a backup, etc. I remember nearly panicking at an airport where I hit three out of three ATM's just to pull enough cash to pay the departure tax, no one fallback is worthwhile, also confirmed afaik by @Jucius Maximus.

Brim, OTOH, is somewhat mysterious. I'm in no rush to jump on another no-FTF MC. Adds little to no value to my wallet. I find visa has better merchant acceptance outside of Canada anyway, so I value a no-FTF visa over a no-FTF MC. I rather save the hard pulls for the churn game on Canadian mag strips, cards that I'll never use for forex spend.
No solicitation in sigs
Mar 14, 2014
621 posts
764 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: +1 what @nochill said.

Brim, OTOH, is somewhat mysterious. I'm in no rush to jump on another no-FTF MC. Adds little to no value to my wallet. I find visa has better merchant acceptance outside of Canada anyway, so I value a no-FTF visa over a no-FTF MC. I rather save the hard pulls for the churn game on Canadian mag strips, cards that I'll never use for forex spend.
That helps put the Brim card in perspective, probably explains why I like your informative posts so much!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9683 posts
11414 upvotes
Vancouver
Ugh. Loading by PAD from PayPal is just so sloooooow. I did two Paypal withdrawals on Sept 6th, one to my credit union that arrived the next day. The other one went to Stack and it still hasn't arrived at the end of the day on Sept 10th. Sigh...
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13944 posts
11570 upvotes
Leask
Kiraly wrote: Ugh. Loading by PAD from PayPal is just so sloooooow. I did two Paypal withdrawals on Sept 6th, one to my credit union that arrived the next day. The other one went to Stack and it still hasn't arrived at the end of the day on Sept 10th. Sigh...
Stack is slow. PIN is amusing. But we love Stack 🤣
No solicitation in sigs
Apr 13, 2005
477 posts
156 upvotes
Did an ATM withdrawal in Italy and got the exact xe spot rate! Finally a viable Schwab alternative for Canadians... Now we just need the atm fee reimbursement feature and we're all set
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
aaa111 wrote: Finally a viable Schwab alternative for Canadians... Now we just need the atm fee reimbursement feature and we're all set
Schwab as in Charles Schwab? LOL that joker clown corp hahahhaa.
I'm debating whether I should get Transferwise w/ USA address. They offer their no forex debit card as well
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5396 posts
3461 upvotes
aaa111 wrote: Did an ATM withdrawal in Italy and got the exact xe spot rate! Finally a viable Schwab alternative for Canadians... Now we just need the atm fee reimbursement feature and we're all set
You're just being greedy... We will be lucky they don't add fees to ATM withdrawal in the future
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7706 posts
7893 upvotes
The Prairies
foreigncontent wrote: are these really world? can I use it in any Starbucks?
Yes, any Starbucks.

And the cashback is instant!

Last edited by coolintheshade on Sep 11th, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 24, 2013
908 posts
610 upvotes
Ontario
Just noticed on my android phone that Stack is one of the options for tap and pay. Can we use our phone for a payment using Stack? My iPhone doesn't have Stack as an option for payment.
Mar 22, 2017
270 posts
239 upvotes
Once you download the app and order the card, how long does it take to arrive in the mail?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7706 posts
7893 upvotes
The Prairies
torcraw2014 wrote: Once you download the app and order the card, how long does it take to arrive in the mail?
Not including the day I ordered the card, 9 business days for delivery to Manitoba.
Jun 27, 2017
527 posts
731 upvotes
GTA
torcraw2014 wrote: Once you download the app and order the card, how long does it take to arrive in the mail?
Right now their card is OOS so if you sign up now it would take 3-4 weeks or so before they ship your card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9683 posts
11414 upvotes
Vancouver
coolintheshade wrote: Not including the day I ordered the card, 9 business days for delivery to Manitoba.
It's gonna take longer than that now, 3 weeks or so. RFD effect depleted their stock of physical cards and they have to get more from their supplier. See this post in the hot deals thread: stack-prepaid-mastercard-free-1-yr-netf ... #p29783188
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7706 posts
7893 upvotes
The Prairies
Bratcoin wrote: Right now their card is OOS so if you sign up now it would take 3-4 weeks or so before they ship your card.
Kiraly wrote: It's gonna take longer than that now, 3 weeks or so. RFD effect depleted their stock of physical cards and they have to get more from their supplier. See this post in the hot deals thread: stack-prepaid-mastercard-free-1-yr-netf ... #p29783188
I guess I ordered mine just in time!
Thanks for the clarification guys.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1593 posts
356 upvotes
Are those various retailer offers like the $1 back from McD or $2 from SB recurring or just like a one time thing in the app?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7706 posts
7893 upvotes
The Prairies
malaujai wrote: Are those various retailer offers like the $1 back from McD or $2 from SB recurring or just like a one time thing in the app?
One time deal.
As soon as you use it, it disappears.