• Feb 25th, 2021 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1207 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary
bylo wrote: Also it's my understanding [because I've never tried it personally] that if you do get DCC'd without being prompted you can get it reversed by opening a dispute with your CC company when you get back to Canada and get your statement. After all the extra fee was applied without your consent. And of course with cards that charge the usual 2.5% FX vig, your CC company doesn't want DCC operators to deprive them of that revenue.
And MasterCard will pretty much take your word for it (Visa is not so easy).
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10059 posts
12026 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: Also it's my understanding [because I've never tried it personally] that if you do get DCC'd without being prompted you can get it reversed by opening a dispute with your CC company when you get back to Canada and get your statement. After all the extra fee was applied without your consent. And of course with cards that charge the usual 2.5% FX vig, your CC company doesn't want DCC operators to deprive them of that revenue.
But how is the CC company going to know how much you were overcharged? All they will see is a Canadian dollar purchase on your statement. It's not a separate line item.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1207 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary
Kiraly wrote: ??
It's the card issuers that you have to deal with, not Visa/MC themselves.
The card issuer starts the chargeback but doesn’t do the adjudication. MasterCard basically always sides with a customer when a customer claims DCC wasn’t accepted on a code 76 chargeback. It’s very difficult to win the same chargeback on a Visa card (especially on a chip and pin card, not so difficult on a chip and signature card).
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10059 posts
12026 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianSpruce wrote: The card issuer starts the chargeback but doesn’t do the adjudication. MasterCard basically always sides with a customer when a customer claims DCC wasn’t accepted on a code 76 chargeback. It’s very difficult to win the same chargeback on a Visa card (especially on a chip and pin card, not so difficult on a chip and signature card).
But how will they know how much you were overcharged? How will you even know unless you noted the price in local currency? Do you have to give them a photo of that or something? Or they just take your word for it?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1207 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary
Kiraly wrote: But how will they know how much you were overcharged? How will you even know unless you noted the price in local currency? Do you have to give them a photo of that or something? Or they just take your word for it?
The authorization message on DCC transactions should include the original offered local amount as well, at least for card present transaction.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1467 posts
2193 upvotes
BC
CanadianSpruce wrote: The authorization message on DCC transactions should include the original offered local amount as well, at least for card present transaction.
The fact that this information is transferred during authorization suggests it would be relatively simple to build a switch in a bank's mobile app to enable/disable DCC payments?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1207 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary
rhw123 wrote: The fact that this information is transferred during authorization suggests it would be relatively simple to build a switch in a bank's mobile app to enable/disable DCC payments?
I believe one of the card networks wanted to do just that but I believe the Australian and EU regulator took issue with it. Some European card issuers can block DCC with a workaround by declining all card present transactions that aren’t in the local currency but it isn’t an ideal solution.
Sep 26, 2011
268 posts
58 upvotes
Timmys offer didnt take either it was the fact I ordered ahead(timhortons.ca/app direct payment) or reloaded STACK with the exact amount either way the offer has been activated for hrs. & the order was above the pretax minimum. If it makes any sense lately ive noticed they've been postdating their rewards by a day
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3692 posts
207 upvotes
Mississauga
CFORD wrote: Timmys offer didnt take either it was the fact I ordered ahead(timhortons.ca/app direct payment) or reloaded STACK with the exact amount either way the offer has been activated for hrs. & the order was above the pretax minimum. If it makes any sense lately ive noticed they've been postdating their rewards by a day
The offer condition explicit says in-store purchases only.
Sep 14, 2014
195 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto, ON
twotterdhc6 wrote: The offer condition explicit says in-store purchases only.
Yup, wasn't always like that, but I think they realized that people were using these offers to buy gift cards which would hurt them in the long run since they want you to spend in excess of the offer spend amount. Unfortunate that you would have to go in store during corona though when most places aren't even open for in store purchasing
Simplii Financial, Zoomer Wireless & EQ Bank account holder :)
Sep 26, 2011
268 posts
58 upvotes
rfdfan2 wrote: Yup, wasn't always like that, but I think they realized that people were using these offers to buy gift cards which would hurt them in the long run since they want you to spend in excess of the offer spend amount. Unfortunate that you would have to go in store during corona though when most places aren't even open for in store purchasing
its a shame though that they quietly changed this since Timmies has had targeted order ahead bonus recently again(though if you spent the max of what ampli requires after tax you get a quarter)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1832 posts
52 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Anyone still having issues on sending e-transfers to their Stack MasterCard?

I've tried to sent an e-transfer from my Scotiabank account but (at the time of writing), it is still pending.

The same is true from my Tangerine account as well.
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21190 upvotes
Center of Universe
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Anyone still having issues on sending e-transfers to their Stack MasterCard?

I've tried to sent an e-transfer from my Scotiabank account but (at the time of writing), it is still pending.

The same is true from my Tangerine account as well.
It took 30mins to etransfer from RBC.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1832 posts
52 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
vkizzle wrote: It took 30mins to etransfer from RBC.
Thanks for your response. It took me around 1 to 1.5 hours for Scotiabank, but I'm waiting to see if the request was processed from my Tangerine account.
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Jul 8, 2019
56 posts
54 upvotes
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Thanks for your response. It took me around 1 to 1.5 hours for Scotiabank, but I'm waiting to see if the request was processed from my Tangerine account.
How long did it actually take?

I have a Stack card, but have been reluctant to use because last couple times I tried loading, took around 3 hours to load (from TD).

This is ridiculous. If someone from Stack actually monitors this thread, GET THIS FIXED!! There is zero technical reason why this should be happening, and why loads aren't happening within minutes of the transfer being done from our bank accounts. It was bad enough when the Visa Debit pull option was removed - this was instantaneous and far more convenient.

If Stack doesn't fix these delays with transfers, their usage is going to go right down the drain.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2455 posts
335 upvotes
Joliette
dubbers wrote: How long did it actually take?

I have a Stack card, but have been reluctant to use because last couple times I tried loading, took around 3 hours to load (from TD).

This is ridiculous. If someone from Stack actually monitors this thread, GET THIS FIXED!! There is zero technical reason why this should be happening, and why loads aren't happening within minutes of the transfer being done from our bank accounts. It was bad enough when the Visa Debit pull option was removed - this was instantaneous and far more convenient.

If Stack doesn't fix these delays with transfers, their usage is going to go right down the drain.
When I use e-transfer it typically takes less than 10 minutes to show up
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1543 posts
153 upvotes
wrdeal24 wrote: When I use e-transfer it typically takes less than 10 minutes to show up
Don't want to jinx it but yes last few e-transfer reloads have gone through quickly, and I even got a $1 off groceries last week just by paying with the STACK card at RCSS! 🥳
Sep 26, 2011
268 posts
58 upvotes

Haven't done it via td(low tier checking account that you pay per etf)in months but was pretty quick.
After td started to do full account names for cardholder couldn't use debit with stack unlike MC cash passport issued by canada post which allowed for it to be topped up by any person via visadebit(shame they tack an additional fee for CAD transactions)
It seems like Acxsys certification of various middleware musnt be stringent enough to account for setups like this
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1543 posts
153 upvotes

I'm honestly not sure STACK will be around for much longer as a business....