• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2021 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2463 posts
1845 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Instead of "$1 for spending $10, up to three times ", they should make it "$3 for spending $30 one time". Then maybe I'd actually USE it. I can't remember the last time I actually used one of the Stack offers.
Is there a restriction it can't be redeemed multiple times per day and/or retailer? Just simply ask the cashier to split your transaction up into multiple $10 charges. Usually, they don't really mind, they just need to enter it in to get that to work.
Sep 26, 2011
341 posts
74 upvotes
Looks like were not receiving push notifications anymore for topups
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1225 posts
2331 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
CFORD wrote: Looks like were not receiving push notifications anymore for topups
I got a notification just last week on a top-up, using an iOS device.
StackTopup.png

It's gotten more consistent (for me anyway) in the last couple months... not sure if the app itself has improved, or iOS, or my change in device.
Sep 26, 2011
341 posts
74 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: I got a notification just last week on a top-up, using an iOS device.

StackTopup.png

It's gotten more consistent (for me anyway) in the last couple months... not sure if the app itself has improved, or iOS, or my change in device.
for all i know I opened the app just before it could've triggered maybe guess its getting slower
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1225 posts
2331 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I guess Stack finally figured out incentivizing use of its MC at grocery stores is the ticket to people using it. Started off as a 1-use offer each month, then 2-use. Last month was 3-use, and for April it's $1 back on $10+ spend up to 4-times.

I feel like a sucker, chasing after these loonies. But I can't resist! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8966 posts
2623 upvotes
multi city dweller
CalgaryBen wrote: I guess Stack finally figured out incentivizing use of its MC at grocery stores is the ticket to people using it. Started off as a 1-use offer each month, then 2-use. Last month was 3-use, and for April it's $1 back on $10+ spend up to 4-times.

I feel like a sucker, chasing after these loonies. But I can't resist! Face With Tears Of Joy
you are not alone ... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

i have a pair to play with ...
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2522 posts
4029 upvotes
BC
CalgaryBen wrote: I guess Stack finally figured out incentivizing use of its MC at grocery stores is the ticket to people using it. Started off as a 1-use offer each month, then 2-use. Last month was 3-use, and for April it's $1 back on $10+ spend up to 4-times.

It's more like 50-80 cents if you factor in the opportunity cost of not using a card that earns 2-5% on groceries.
Sep 26, 2011
341 posts
74 upvotes

wish they'd offer pcexpress(or zehrs) option again
Nov 14, 2010
974 posts
239 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: It's more like 50-80 cents if you factor in the opportunity cost of not using a card that earns 2-5% on groceries.
You split the transaction and only spend $10 on STACK and the rest on a card that gets 2-5%.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2522 posts
4029 upvotes
BC
cheapskatescooner wrote: You split the transaction and only spend $10 on STACK and the rest on a card that gets 2-5%.
That doesn't change anything. You are not using your 2-5% card for the first $10 and are really only gaining 50-80 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8966 posts
2623 upvotes
multi city dweller
rhw123 wrote: That doesn't change anything. You are not using your 2-5% card for the first $10 and are really only gaining 50-80 cents.
if you charge $10 to stack you get $1 back ... that's 10% cb ...
so imho ... its either 10% vs 2-5% cashback ...

so if i am making $100 purchase, i would charge $10 to my stack and the rest to my other cards some of which fetch me 5% cashback ...
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12534 posts
15875 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: if you charge $10 to stack you get $1 back ... that's 10% cb ...
so imho ... its either 10% vs 2-5% cashback ...

so if i am making $100 purchase, i would charge $10 to my stack and the rest to my other cards some of which fetch me 5% cashback ...
So instead of charging the whole $100 to your 5% card and get $5, you'll charge $90 for $4.50, and $10 on Stack for $1. That's an extra 50¢ you get for splitting the tender. OK if that's worth your while...but there are only so many hoops I am willing to jump through to save 50¢ on a $100 purchase, and this isn't one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8966 posts
2623 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: So instead of charging the whole $100 to your 5% card and get $5, you'll charge $90 for $4.50, and $10 on Stack for $1. That's an extra 50¢ you get for splitting the tender. OK if that's worth your while...but there are only so many hoops I am willing to jump through to save 50¢ on a $100 purchase, and this isn't one of them.
well ... i do this all the time at the self chkout counter ... only take 2 seconds ... sometime i also use gc in the mix ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

the last time i chk this is still rfd right?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12534 posts
15875 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: well ... i do this all the time at the self chkout counter ... only take 2 seconds ... sometime i also use gc in the mix ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

the last time i chk this is still rfd right?
You can split a tender and pay with two different credit cards in only two extra seconds? You are FAST! And yes, this RFD, where some people value their time/hassle to save a few cents in a dollar figure that outweighs the savings itself.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8966 posts
2623 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: You can split a tender and pay with two different credit cards in only two extra seconds? You are FAST! And yes, this RFD, where some people value their time/hassle to save a few cents in a dollar figure that outweighs the savings itself.
2 seconds just an expression ... not literally ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

well, i like my stack cards and one way i can contribute to keeping the card alive is to support them by actually using them ... i have benefited from the forex transactions when i was traveling in asia ...

what's the point of holding a card but not even willing to use it once in a while ...?
May 26, 2011
964 posts
719 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: well ... i do this all the time at the self chkout counter ... only take 2 seconds ... sometime i also use gc in the mix ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Which stores allow split payments at selfcheckout, and how do we do it?

I always buy GCs with Stack at grocery stores, NF and RCSS don't even allow us to buy GC at selfcheckout to begin with, so I always go through regular checkout, and $10 GCs are getting rarer so I have them split payments, too.

I'll go to Tim's and load $5 to my balance as well, since Paytm has their GCs sold out.

My goal isn't saving money with Stack, but not to become dormant until I start traveling internationally again. If I could save money while using Stack, why not, and I have to admit I started using Stack more often last half a year. I like Stack has been crediting immediately, and without fail.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8966 posts
2623 upvotes
multi city dweller
maverikbc wrote: Which stores allow split payments at selfcheckout, and how do we do it?

I always buy GCs with Stack at grocery stores, NF and RCSS don't even allow us to buy GC at selfcheckout to begin with, so I always go through regular checkout, and $10 GCs are getting rarer so I have them split payments, too.

I'll go to Tim's and load $5 to my balance as well, since Paytm has their GCs sold out.

My goal isn't saving money with Stack, but not to become dormant until I start traveling internationally again. If I could save money while using Stack, why not, and I have to admit I started using Stack more often last half a year. I like Stack has been crediting immediately, and without fail.
that's my main reason for using them ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

i have used selfchkout at NFs, Superstore, walmart ... and ofcourse at gas stations for the gas promo ...

just to clarify, i might have misused the term split payment ... i actually scan the items separately ... so not exactly split payment ... but close enough for me ...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7709 posts
12972 upvotes
Montreal
maverikbc wrote: (...) I always buy GCs with Stack at grocery stores, (...)
May I ask why you do that?

Instead of paying your groceries with your Stack card?

Am I missing something?
May 26, 2011
964 posts
719 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: just to clarify, i might have misused the term split payment ... i actually scan the items separately ... so not exactly split payment ... but close enough for me ...
Split payments...my definition was to make one transaction with more than 2 sources of payments, like $15 GC that I was talking about earlier: $10 from Stack + $5 from other CC.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
May 26, 2011
964 posts
719 upvotes
Temporel wrote: May I ask why you do that?

Instead of paying your groceries with your Stack card?

Am I missing something?
I have a surplus of grocery stores GCs and PCO pts, and I cannot buy GCs with those, so I've been using Stack to buy GCs.