• Jul 21st, 2021 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10456 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
LOL808 wrote: speaking for myself, it never happened to me ... but i suppose it can happen ... most likely has to do with yr email being hijacked/hacked and the money has been deposited into someone else's account ...
I had to wait on the phone with Tangerine for over 90 mins yesterday. They were to blame for the entire issue. Security blocked the transaction from completing, so the money came out of my bank account but never made it to Stack and the entire transaction was caught in limbo. Tangerine's security validation is definitely suspect. I've had to call in to unblock payment of Presto monthly pass 3 times in 24 months. Clearly I do the same purchase every month, but Tangerine detected to block it for my benefit until I call in to release the action blocking it. Same was the same here. I funded my Stack using the same method for 3 weeks in a row on the same day and they decide to block it on the third week. Even when they resolved the block and released the funds back to me, they still haven't appeared in my account. Customer service doesn't understand their own process neither as I had to remain on hold for another 30 mins until he discovered the funds wouldn't show back up in my account until the next day.

Moral of the story, don't use Tangerine in general, especially for email transfer. I'm going to use any of the other bank accounts I have from now on to fund my Stack account.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22966 posts
18114 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
STACK wrote:Hi Bylo,

As you've heard by now, we have a new way to load your STACK card with Interac e-Transfer.

Adding money with Interac e-Transfer is now simpler, more reliable, and faster!

Our old method of Interac e-Transfer will no longer be available as of Friday, May 28th.

Important: You will need to update the STACK app version to see the new Interac e-Transfer loading mechanism.

HOW IT WORKS:
1. Open the STACK App
2. Tap on your Profile Image
3. Tap on Interac e-Transfer Load
4. Enter the Money Amount
5. Open your email and tap Accept Request
6. Follow the instructions

Frequently Asked Question:
My bank doesn’t support the new Interac e-Transfer request. What should I do?
Answer: We are currently working with the various banks to support Interac e-Transfer load. You can see which banks are eligible by clicking here. If you don’t see your bank, you can still use Bill Pay or Cash Load to add money to your account.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 26, 2011
296 posts
63 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote: I had to wait on the phone with Tangerine for over 90 mins yesterday. They were to blame for the entire issue. Security blocked the transaction from completing, so the money came out of my bank account but never made it to Stack and the entire transaction was caught in limbo. Tangerine's security validation is definitely suspect. I've had to call in to unblock payment of Presto monthly pass 3 times in 24 months. Clearly I do the same purchase every month, but Tangerine detected to block it for my benefit until I call in to release the action blocking it. Same was the same here. I funded my Stack using the same method for 3 weeks in a row on the same day and they decide to block it on the third week. Even when they resolved the block and released the funds back to me, they still haven't appeared in my account. Customer service doesn't understand their own process neither as I had to remain on hold for another 30 mins until he discovered the funds wouldn't show back up in my account until the next day.

Moral of the story, don't use Tangerine in general, especially for email transfer. I'm going to use any of the other bank accounts I have from now on to fund my Stack account.
never lost money put in but they claimed they already awarded me a rebate for an offer.

For the last while GRT's easygo platform hasn't off & on for online reloads been working with td cards. Haven't tried tangs debt for that yet. Though the new visadebt card is setting in the envelope. Have had to plan to go either to ainsle terminal or fairview park & use their selfserve terminal. Thankfully they'll be implementing their income based reduced fare to replace student senior program
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8546 posts
2456 upvotes
multi city dweller
dmdsoftware2 wrote: I had to wait on the phone with Tangerine for over 90 mins yesterday. They were to blame for the entire issue. Security blocked the transaction from completing, so the money came out of my bank account but never made it to Stack and the entire transaction was caught in limbo. Tangerine's security validation is definitely suspect. I've had to call in to unblock payment of Presto monthly pass 3 times in 24 months. Clearly I do the same purchase every month, but Tangerine detected to block it for my benefit until I call in to release the action blocking it. Same was the same here. I funded my Stack using the same method for 3 weeks in a row on the same day and they decide to block it on the third week. Even when they resolved the block and released the funds back to me, they still haven't appeared in my account. Customer service doesn't understand their own process neither as I had to remain on hold for another 30 mins until he discovered the funds wouldn't show back up in my account until the next day.

i think the new method of loading stack via interac is much more reliable ... pulling is safer than pushing since a failure will probably be detected right away ...

are you aware that the old method will be deactivated on May 28th as posted above ?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10456 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
LOL808 wrote: i think the new method of loading stack via interac is much more reliable ... pulling is safer than pushing since a failure will probably be detected right away ...

are you aware that the old method will be deactivated on May 28th as posted above ?
This was using the new method !!! I went into the app, kicked off the "instant" interac load. The process involves triggering an email being sent to you, where you click through to your bank to complete the "instant" interac load. All this went well.. Stack simply never received the funds on their side because Tangerine halted them.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13361 posts
2701 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
dmdsoftware2 wrote: This was using the new method !!! I went into the app, kicked off the "instant" interac load. The process involves triggering an email being sent to you, where you click through to your bank to complete the "instant" interac load. All this went well.. Stack simply never received the funds on their side because Tangerine halted them.
The method is unreliable. I get issues with HSBC having similar issues. When I make the request thru Stack I get the email. I log in as per HSBC via clicking institution as per email. Then I get an error message under the heading "Incoming Interac Request" at HSBC. The error says "Sorry, the service is temporarily unavailable." WTF?? Why is it some banks work and others do not. Contacted HSBC. It's been like 3 weeks speaking to multiple reps and no one calls back, understands or willing to help. I'm thinking some institutions dont recognize Stack for some reason.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13361 posts
2701 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
aznnorth wrote: The method is unreliable. I get issues with HSBC having similar issues. When I make the request thru Stack I get the email. I log in as per HSBC via clicking institution as per email. Then I get an error message under the heading "Incoming Interac Request" at HSBC. The error says "Sorry, the service is temporarily unavailable." WTF?? Why is it some banks work and others do not. Contacted HSBC. It's been like 3 weeks speaking to multiple reps and no one calls back, understands or willing to help. I'm thinking some institutions dont recognize Stack for some reason.
FINALLY spoke to a Premier rep and she explained the reasoning. HSBC elects not to allow Incoming Interac e-transfer Request at all. No one can do incoming requests for security reasons. The reason being if someone breaks into your online banking email account they can send the money transfer to their account. This sucks. Now the only way is to do an email money transfer to yourself and deposit the funds at another institution that allows Incoming Interac Requests. THEN do the Stack interac cash request from that institution. Apparently some other FI's are also preventing "request" transfers.
Last edited by aznnorth on May 29th, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5725 posts
3805 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: FINALLY spoke to a Premier rep and she explained the reasoning. HSBC elects not to allow Incoming Interac e-transfer Request at all. No one can do incoming requests for security reasons. The reason being if someone breaks into your online banking they can send a email money transfer to their account.
This makes no sense. If someone breaks into your online account what difference does it make if it is an e-transfer request or an e-transfer initiated from your account?

The hacker would have access to do either. Blocking requests does nothing to secure the account.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13361 posts
2701 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
mech9t5 wrote: This makes no sense. If someone breaks into your online account what difference does it make if it is an e-transfer request or an e-transfer initiated from your account?

The hacker would have access to do either. Blocking requests does nothing to secure the account.
You're correct, lol. Edited. It shud read email for online banking.

I have accounts with Simplii Financial. Gonna contact them to make sure they accept incoming requests.
My route will be HSBC -> Simplii -> Stack.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2515 posts
4102 upvotes
Toronto
mech9t5 wrote: This makes no sense. If someone breaks into your online account what difference does it make if it is an e-transfer request or an e-transfer initiated from your account?

Could be a thing with 2FA authentication. IIRC you need to use 2FA to add a new eTransfer contact. That said, they could just require 2FA to fulfill incoming eTransfer requests?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1738 posts
2198 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: You're correct, lol. Edited. It shud read email for online banking.

I have accounts with Simplii Financial. Gonna contact them to make sure they accept incoming requests.
My route will be HSBC -> Simplii -> Stack.
Still doesn't make sense. To authorize an e-transfer request still requires login to online banking to approve the request - email is just a notification. There is NO auto-approval for e-transfer requests. So, unless people are silly enough to approve e-transfer requests for amounts and sources they don't recognize the security is BETTER for requests than if someone has hacked your email and intercepts a normal outgoing e-transfer and guesses a weak password associated with the e-transfer.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13361 posts
2701 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
robsaw wrote: Still doesn't make sense. To authorize an e-transfer request still requires login to online banking to approve the request - email is just a notification. There is NO auto-approval for e-transfer requests. So, unless people are silly enough to approve e-transfer requests for amounts and sources they don't recognize the security is BETTER for requests than if someone has hacked your email and intercepts a normal outgoing e-transfer and guesses a weak password associated with the e-transfer.
Tell HSBC that. My argument was exactly the same as yours. The rep said HSBC doesnt support incoming requests. Point blank.
Mar 14, 2014
943 posts
1229 upvotes
grilw wrote: They're not discounting the old method of loading. I call bs on their announcement.
In a few weeks CIBC / Simplii will allow sending e-Transfers directly to bank accounts. In theory, it should be instant using the unique People's Trust Institution, Transit and Account number associated with each members Stack card. This would skips the entire email process, thereby simplifying the process. The only catch is you have to accept the funds are non-returnable if you enter the wrong bank account information.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2060 posts
3247 upvotes
BC
flyjazz wrote: In a few weeks CIBC / Simplii will allow sending e-Transfers directly to bank accounts. In theory, it should be instant using the unique People's Trust Institution, Transit and Account number associated with each members Stack card. This would skips the entire email process, thereby simplifying the process. The only catch is you have to accept the funds are non-returnable if you enter the wrong bank account information.
I doubt it will be instant. I expect the receiving bank must support it and People's Trust most likely won't be leading other banks in this. But we'll see, I'll gladly be proven wrong.
Mar 14, 2014
943 posts
1229 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: I doubt it will be instant. I expect the receiving bank must support it and People's Trust most likely won't be leading other banks in this. But we'll see, I'll gladly be proven wrong.
Would it not process as a straight forward direct deposit comparable to an EFT, or payroll? You may be correct, the only way to know is to test the process with a small amount of funds when it goes live. As mentioned previously, the funds are non-returnable, so that would protect Stack with deposits using this method. I cannot at this stage imagine why Stack would reject the deposit.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2060 posts
3247 upvotes
BC
flyjazz wrote: Would it not process as a straight forward direct deposit comparable to an EFT, or payroll?
Yes but those have never been instant for me. My impression is that EFTs are scheduled and batch-processed on the sending as well as on the receiving sides. It differs per bank how many runs they do per day.

I know a real-time payment system is being developed in Canada but AFAIK it will be a while before that will be rolled out. I don't know if it will be comparable to SEPA Instant in Europe but the latter only works when both sending and receiving bank have implemented instant transfers and not all of them have.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13361 posts
2701 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Did my first transfer using the new stack method. Worse than the old method by far. Took 30 min for the Interac money transfer from HSBC to Simplii. Then another 30 min for the Stack Interac transfer request from Simplii. The old method was consistently 3-5 min max direct from HSBC. This, bcuz HSBC doesnt support Incoming Interac etransfer Requests. 1 hr total, pathetic. 2 transactions. Smiling Face With HornsAngry Face :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3707 posts
221 upvotes
YUL
aznnorth wrote: Did my first transfer using the new stack method. Worse than the old method by far. Took 30 min for the Interac money transfer from HSBC to Simplii. Then another 30 min for the Stack Interac transfer request from Simplii. The old method was consistently 3-5 min max direct from HSBC. This, bcuz HSBC doesnt support Incoming Interac etransfer Requests. 1 hr total, pathetic. 2 transactions. Smiling Face With HornsAngry Face :facepalm:
This sounds like a limitation with Interac eTransfer, not Stack themselves.
Sep 26, 2011
296 posts
63 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: Yes but those have never been instant for me. My impression is that EFTs are scheduled and batch-processed on the sending as well as on the receiving sides. It differs per bank how many runs they do per day.

I know a real-time payment system is being developed in Canada but AFAIK it will be a while before that will be rolled out. I don't know if it will be comparable to SEPA Instant in Europe but the latter only works when both sending and receiving bank have implemented instant transfers and not all of them have.
Sadly they're to concerned with digital currency even after their failure with mintchip