• Nov 26th, 2021 10:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23822 posts
19596 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Temporel wrote: If they sent an email saying PTC is no longer a CDIC member that would be more concerning. ;)
While I appreciate the joke, "loss of membership," assuming that's possible in theory, would indicate the failure of PTC and result in reimbursement of deposits through CDIC. So unless you have more than CDIC limits at PTC there's little for us to be concerned about in practice.

An interesting question: Can a federally regulated bank/trust operate in Canada without being a member of CDIC?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2051 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: While I appreciate the joke, "loss of membership," assuming that's possible in theory, would indicate the failure of PTC and result in reimbursement of deposits through CDIC. So unless you have more than CDIC limits at PTC there's little for us to be concerned about in practice.

An interesting question: Can a federally regulated bank/trust operate in Canada without being a member of CDIC?
We discussed before on RFD that if Stack went under your money at Peoples Trust would be safe, but if Peoples Trust went under it may not be, since the Stack Account would get 100K for all the cardholders to share. Not sure if that is accurate or not.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13465 posts
2832 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
twotterdhc6 wrote: My experience with both Simplii and Tangerine are all eTransfers of lower amount (ie: less than $100) are always instantaneous. For larger amounts, they always take exactly 30 minutes. If you only reload Stack with just enough for what you plan to spend (highly recommended), then you shouldn't really need to wait for an Etransfer.
You're correct. Tried a small amount like $60 and went thru instantaneous. Before was $1k and took exactly 30 min. So the issue still stands at HSBC. Whether it was small or large the email money transfer still took 30 min to Simplii. Angry Face
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23822 posts
19596 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Bull Dog wrote: Not sure if that is accurate or not.
It's a myth.

Your STACK balance is held by PTC in your name, not in STACK's name. Their email confirms this. "These eligible deposits are combined with your other eligible deposits held at PTC. CDIC insures eligible deposits up to a maximum of $100,000 per insurance category, per depositor, per member institution against member failure."

What this also means is that if you have deposits directly with PTC as well as through STACK, the total of all such deposits counts towards the $100k CDIC maximum.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1927 posts
2491 upvotes
bylo wrote:
From what I've read, effectively mandatory. There are exemptions for "wholesale" deposit takers that only take deposits of $150K or more and the legislation allows for withdrawal of membership - BUT - only if the FI no longer accepts or holds insurable deposits (i.e. deposits NOT payable in Canada).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23822 posts
19596 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
robsaw wrote: From what I've read, effectively mandatory.
Thanks. That was my assumption.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 26, 2011
337 posts
73 upvotes
New update pushed to GP for droid version of app
Apr 25, 2019
492 posts
832 upvotes
I tend to forget to activate the offers before buying groceries so I stuck a piece of tape to the front of the card and wrote "Activate Offers" on it. Could've earned $2 on the times I forgot.
Public Mobile 5GB $33
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1806 posts
1021 upvotes
Is it possible to be overdrawn on this card at all?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2051 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
Diafel wrote: Is it possible to be overdrawn on this card at all?
No, since it's a prepaid card. The transaction will be rejected if there are insufficient funds.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12482 posts
15782 upvotes
Vancouver
May 26, 2011
964 posts
719 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Merchants who still use the manual embossing machine and carbon paper slips could conceivably put charges on the card and push it into negative balance. Many merchants keep these handy in case power or the payment network goes down.
More and more cards, including Stack, are going without embossed numbers. Heck, cards like TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite don't even have any signature strips. I wonder how carbon paper slips work with new cards like these.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23822 posts
19596 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
maverikbc wrote: More and more cards, including Stack, are going without embossed numbers. Heck, cards like TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite don't even have any signature strips. I wonder how carbon paper slips work with new cards like these.
Simple. Old school. Just like they did in the haydays of the manual imprinter. The clerk uses a ball point pen and presses hard.

The CC company doesn't need an embossed number--just a legible one.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12482 posts
15782 upvotes
Vancouver
maverikbc wrote: More and more cards, including Stack, are going without embossed numbers. Heck, cards like TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite don't even have any signature strips. I wonder how carbon paper slips work with new cards like these.
The number is written in by hand with a pen.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12482 posts
15782 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: $5 off $50 at the liquor store coming June 17th to July 1st! Best Stack offer ever, tied with $5 off $50 at Home Depot which I used to buy a $50 Esso GC.
3 days left folks. I nearly forgot! Picked up $50 GC today and got $5 credit already.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2470 posts
3907 upvotes
BC
Kiraly wrote: 3 days left folks. I nearly forgot! Picked up $50 GC today and got $5 credit already.
Targeted? I don't see any liquor store offer in the Stack app.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1075 posts
1385 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: Targeted? I don't see any liquor store offer in the Stack app.
It's under the header " Summer Drinks " and is valid at BC government liquor stores in your case.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2470 posts
3907 upvotes
BC
flyjazz wrote: It's under the header " Summer Drinks " and is valid at BC government liquor stores in your case.
Thanks but I don't see any "Summer Drinks" offer either. I only see gas and groceries offers and a bunch of specific merchant offers.

No big deal, probably wouldn't have bothered with it anyway for the few dollars net gain.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1075 posts
1385 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: Thanks but I don't see any "Summer Drinks" offer either. I only see gas and groceries offers and a bunch of specific merchant offers.

No big deal, probably wouldn't have bothered with it anyway for the few dollars net gain.
That's odd, check for an app update. It's probably too hot to be going out to buy beer that you could put in a bucket of ice.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
4333 posts
4512 upvotes
GTA
rhw123 wrote: Targeted? I don't see any liquor store offer in the Stack app.
@rhw123 see screenshots below. We have not used any Stack Offers ever, and we received in Ontario.

Guess we're more conditioned to use CCs vs Stack/cash offers. Lol
Images
  • Screenshot_20210628_154255.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210628_154403.jpg