Credit Cards

Stack MC : Nerfed!! Fees galore! Avoid this card!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2024 8:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Perhaps a dumb question but... Assuming one has a bank debit card, why would they prefer to use e-Transfer or Interac to load their Stack card?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Knock2 wrote: Ordered Stack on Dec.6th. I hope to receive it before 26th to be eligible for Amazon Prime.
Does the offer expire on the 26th? Don't recall seeing that mentioned somewhere?

I have the card, but holding off on prime until the first time I need it :)
Aug 10, 2018
60 posts
47 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Does the offer expire on the 26th? Don't recall seeing that mentioned somewhere?

I have the card, but holding off on prime until the first time I need it :)
Yes, According to website:
"In order to qualify for this offer, you must: (1) be the recipient of this offer; and (2) open and fund a new STACK account between November 8, 2018 and December 26, 2018, and (3) set STACK as your default payment method on Amazon.ca on or before March 30, 2019. "
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
bylo wrote: Perhaps a dumb question but... Assuming one has a bank debit card, why would they prefer to use e-Transfer or Interac to load their Stack card?
not every bank has VISA Debit and Interac Online isn't supported widely.
Bill Pay isn't listed "somewhere" and they do not want to open a new acct.
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
bylo wrote: Perhaps a dumb question but... Assuming one has a bank debit card, why would they prefer to use e-Transfer or Interac to load their Stack card?
The debit card needs to be Visa debit. Not all banks offer that.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Knock2 wrote: Yes, According to website:
"In order to qualify for this offer, you must: (1) be the recipient of this offer; and (2) open and fund a new STACK account between November 8, 2018 and December 26, 2018, and (3) set STACK as your default payment method on Amazon.ca on or before March 30, 2019. "
ah, so yeah my card is already activated. So I have until Marc 2019... I did see something like 100 or so days left on the offer.
Oct 11, 2014
45 posts
62 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Some Bellingham data points, tried a few ATMs so far today and haven't found a no-fee one yet.
  • Allpoint ATM at the Walgreens at Baker view/Guide Meridian had a $7.00 charge
  • ATM at the Shell on Guide Meridian south of Bakerview said $3.00 charge
  • US Bank ATM said $3.00 charge as well
  • North Coast CU ATM at Costco listed a $6.00 charge.
Not sure where to try next, was surprised by the $6.00 at the North Coast CU ATM.
Apr 19, 2018
474 posts
373 upvotes
Wolfe Island, ON
Knock2 wrote: Yes, According to website:
Hmmm... must have applied too late then. Applied on November 30th, approved Dec 1st, and clicked on the offer in the app, but no card yet. If it takes three or four business days to transfer funds to it, I needed to have received the card in the mail and activated it today in order to meet those terms. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2748 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
To those who are testing different ATM for data point. Does it require you to actually withdraw funds to just see the fee or do they show it and you cancel the transaction?

Willing to do data point research, but not if I have to eat the ATM fees just to do so.
Apr 19, 2018
474 posts
373 upvotes
Wolfe Island, ON
asdisme wrote: To those who are testing different ATM for data point. Does it require you to actually withdraw funds to just see the fee or do they show it and you cancel the transaction?

Willing to do data point research, but not if I have to eat the ATM fees just to do so.
The few machines I have tried show me the ATM fee for getting money at that ATM before confirming the transaction. I just cancel before completing the withdrawal.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
pacificnw wrote: Some Bellingham data points, tried a few ATMs so far today and haven't found a no-fee one yet.
Not sure where to try next, was surprised by the $6.00 at the North Coast CU ATM.
Thanks bro! This is really helpful.
So I guess it's pretty much a no in the end.
The only surcharge free ATM listed on VISA locator is at Costco Burlington. Next time I will test with my Banner Bank Debit to find out.
Oct 11, 2014
45 posts
62 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Enlgma wrote: The few machines I have tried show me the ATM fee for getting money at that ATM before confirming the transaction. I just cancel before completing the withdrawal.
Exactly, before you confirm it will summarize the transaction with the fee and then you just hit cancel.
dekvitaly wrote: Thanks bro! This is really helpful.
So I guess it's pretty much a no in the end.
The only surcharge free ATM listed on VISA locator is at Costco Burlington. Next time I will test with my Banner Bank Debit to find out.
No problem! I'm hoping through elimination we'll find an ATM with no fee, I have a feeling that similar to Vancouver it'll be through a credit union.
Oct 11, 2014
45 posts
62 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
pacificnw wrote: Some Bellingham data points, tried a few ATMs so far today and haven't found a no-fee one yet.
I wanted to give one more ATM a try, and success!

The WECU (Whatcom Educational Credit Union) ATM at Bellis Fair that's right beside Target was no fee. Says so on the screen before you insert your card.

Withdrew $60.00 USD which showed as $80.81 in the app immediately, and matches the rate on the MasterCard conversion site.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
pacificnw wrote: I wanted to give one more ATM a try, and success!

The WECU (Whatcom Educational Credit Union) ATM at Bellis Fair that's right beside Target was no fee. Says so on the screen before you insert your card.

Withdrew $60.00 USD which showed as $80.81 in the app immediately, and matches the rate on the MasterCard conversion site.
Nice find!!! So I guess it should work the same for WECU at Pac Hwy Crossing as WECU belongs to do many ATM network! I use them mostly to deposit cash to my bank lol
Next time I will try ICU at Freddy Bakerview and report back. Nice outlet eh?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
mech9t5 wrote: Means if you owe them money from some other product, they can take your balance to cover it.

Money is held in people's trust. So if you have people trust credit card and owe money on it (usually delinquent more than at least 90 days), they will take the stack money to cover the balance.
That's actually kind of scary. Let's say someone who has Stack signed up for the Koho card using the Goodfood referral code. And they didn't have a GF account, but got the $20.00. Maybe they got scared and moved that $20.00 off of their Koho card to prevent any possible clawback, but if that person has a Stack card that has $20.00 on it, People's Trust could do a Koho clawback from the Stack card? Chilling.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
1_blue_pixel wrote: That's actually kind of scary. Let's say someone who has Stack signed up for the Koho card using the Goodfood referral code. And they didn't have a GF account, but got the $20.00. Maybe they got scared and moved that $20.00 off of their Koho card to prevent any possible clawback, but if that person has a Stack card that has $20.00 on it, People's Trust could do a Koho clawback from the Stack card? Chilling.
Curious
Nov 27, 2011
363 posts
264 upvotes
Canadia
pacificnw wrote: I wanted to give one more ATM a try, and success!

Great DPs! Thanks for doing this.
Oct 11, 2014
45 posts
62 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
dekvitaly wrote: Nice find!!! So I guess it should work the same for WECU at Pac Hwy Crossing as WECU belongs to do many ATM network! I use them mostly to deposit cash to my bank lol
Next time I will try ICU at Freddy Bakerview and report back. Nice outlet eh?
Yeah I'm thinking all WECU ATMs should be the same. Hopefully it's also flashing that "no surcharge" messaging.

I was thinking of trying ICU but figured I'd do Bellis Fair cause of WECU and a Capital One ATM in close proximity. I'd read somewhere on here that Cap One can be no fee too
Nov 27, 2011
363 posts
264 upvotes
Canadia
pacificnw wrote: Yeah I'm thinking all WECU ATMs should be the same. Hopefully it's also flashing that "no surcharge" messaging.

I was thinking of trying ICU but figured I'd do Bellis Fair cause of WECU and a Capital One ATM in close proximity. I'd read somewhere on here that Cap One can be no fee too
I've read that too but my experience with a Capital One ATM inside a Target at Boston; it had $3.00 charge.

I'd be nice if someone else can confirm this as well so we'd definitely take Cap One off the no fee list
Oct 11, 2014
45 posts
62 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
TENSEVEN wrote: I've read that too but my experience with a Capital One ATM inside a Target at Boston; it had $3.00 charge.

I'd be nice if someone else can confirm this as well so we'd definitely take Cap One off the no fee list
Definitely. Last DP: stopped at a plaza in Lynden that had an ICU, this one had a $2.00 fee.
Last edited by pacificnw on Dec 18th, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)