• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2021 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
May 26, 2009
506 posts
641 upvotes
Calgary
I signed up for Stack on November 29, and just got it in the mail today. That was nearly three weeks, which seems like quite a bit of time.

I loaded it using Visa Debit, and that was immediate. That will be incredibly convenient when travelling to be able to load it minutes before using it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
pacificnw wrote: Definitely. Last DP: stopped at a plaza in Lynden that had an ICU, this one had a $2.00 fee.
GREAT!! Now I suppose WECU is our to go.
It's also strange that I've tried Acculink search and WECU wasn't even listed. Maybe it varies from bank to bank. I know some of WECU ATM wouldn't take deposit for another bank/CU (fairhaven and Blaine Mall location)
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49446 posts
5850 upvotes
Toronto
jtfrogger wrote: I signed up for Stack on November 29, and just got it in the mail today. That was nearly three weeks, which seems like quite a bit of time.

I loaded it using Visa Debit, and that was immediate. That will be incredibly convenient when travelling to be able to load it minutes before using it.
Seems like the Canada Post backlog is real, or they're just slow in general.. Not sure which one it is lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: You could argue "lingua franca", but in most places where English is neither a mainstream language nor has official status, getting service in English is a big YMMV Smiling Face With Sunglasses again a bit off-topic and no need to derail, but you can't guarantee that following the prompt for French will direct you to a bilingual rep.
I don't know how you could argue that English isn't the international lingua franca. Spanish is close as it's the lingua franca of most of the South American continent and French has that status in Northern Africa, but otherwise, it's pretty localized, much like Mandarin, whcih is a lingua franca between Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Singapore,

English, is the language of the web, the language of business, and the language of tourism. Obviously, other languages are important... but from a global perspective, even in French speaking countries, English is considered an important language to learn.

Fun facts:
- There are more French-speaking Germans than French speakers in Quebec.
- French is the official language of both Congos... it's essentially a lingua franca, although Swahili and Lingala are arguably more popular.
- The home countries of Spanish, Portuguese, and English are Mexico, Brazil, and the USA. These are where the greatest number of 1st language speakers are. Spain and Portugal are both 3rd after Argentina and Angola respectively.
- India, Nigeria, and the Phillipines all have more fluent English speakers than the UK with 125M, 79M, and 64M respectively.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Apr 19, 2018
368 posts
281 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
Jimboski wrote: Seems like the Canada Post backlog is real, or they're just slow in general.. Not sure which one it is lol.
Have experienced no delays except for one parcel by two days, and that was when the originating business had a one-day rotating walkout in that city. Everything else, bills, magazines, other parcels and letters have arrived within the delivery norms. Going on the third week now waiting for my card from STACK though (19 days from application, 13 business days).
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13968 posts
11599 upvotes
Leask
atomiton wrote: I don't know how you could argue that English isn't the international lingua franca. Spanish is close as it's the lingua franca of most of the South American continent and French has that status in Northern Africa, but otherwise, it's pretty localized, much like Mandarin, whcih is a lingua franca between Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Singapore,

English, is the language of the web, the language of business, and the language of tourism. Obviously, other languages are important... but from a global perspective, even in French speaking countries, English is considered an important language to learn.

Fun facts:
- There are more French-speaking Germans than French speakers in Quebec.
- French is the official language of both Congos... it's essentially a lingua franca, although Swahili and Lingala are arguably more popular.
- The home countries of Spanish, Portuguese, and English are Mexico, Brazil, and the USA. These are where the greatest number of 1st language speakers are. Spain and Portugal are both 3rd after Argentina and Angola respectively.
- India, Nigeria, and the Phillipines all have more fluent English speakers than the UK with 125M, 79M, and 64M respectively.
That discussion goes pretty far back in the thread. :facepalm:

No point in arguing, just saying can't guarantee that francophone CSR's are bilingual, especially depending on the call centre's location. Doubt that has any relevance to Stack at this point. Surely few of us on this thread have even spoken to their CSR's. I haven't had the need to call, aside retrieving PIN from their IVR.
No solicitation in sigs
Nov 27, 2011
341 posts
219 upvotes
Canadia
Enlgma wrote: Have experienced no delays except for one parcel by two days, and that was when the originating business had a one-day rotating walkout in that city. Everything else, bills, magazines, other parcels and letters have arrived within the delivery norms. Going on the third week now waiting for my card from STACK though (19 days from application, 13 business days).
The backlog/delays depends on a number of factors; delay at the origin facility, delay at the destination facility, delay in transit... for most people is been one or the other but maybe you're experiencing a combination of all 3?
Apr 19, 2018
368 posts
281 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
TENSEVEN wrote: The backlog/delays depends on a number of factors; delay at the origin facility, delay at the destination facility, delay in transit... for most people is been one or the other but maybe you're experiencing a combination of all 3?
Most of my bills come by Canada Post from Toronto and I have had no delays. My postal region has experienced no delays. I had a package that was picked up by Canada Post in Toronto yesterday and is out for delivery to me today. It is only the Stack MC which is slow for delivery and more than one RFD member has pointed that out. It leads me to conclude that Canada Post is not the culprit in the long delay. Of note, Canada Post announced yesterday that all facilities have cleared their backlog except for one in Vancouver.
Aug 10, 2018
57 posts
46 upvotes
jtfrogger wrote: I signed up for Stack on November 29, and just got it in the mail today. That was nearly three weeks, which seems like quite a bit of time.

Where was the parcel sent from? and where do you live? Just want to estimate my delivery date.
May 26, 2009
506 posts
641 upvotes
Calgary
Knock2 wrote: Where was the parcel sent from? and where do you live? Just want to estimate my delivery date.
I'm in Calgary. I have no idea where they sent it from.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6362 posts
5569 upvotes
Toronto's sorting facilities were hit really hard with the strikes so I imagine there's even more backlog compared to others
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21477 posts
15614 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gtaphotog wrote: Toronto's sorting facilities were hit really hard with the strikes so I imagine there's even more backlog compared to others
Actually it's Vancouver, not Tronno: Canada Post says it’s cleared all holiday backlog EXCEPT for Vancouver
In a statement, Canada Post said that while “uneven backlogs continue to pose a challenge, we are processing and delivering mail and parcels across the country and have taken every extra effort to get caught up as quickly as possible.”

For the most part, the company said it is “now in a position to restore normal holiday delivery service guarantees for much of the country,” essentially meaning Canadians can expect normal holiday delivery timelines for parcels.

The exception to this though still remains for items headed to or departing Vancouver “as backlogs there continue to cause additional delays,” the company said.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 12, 2009
342 posts
270 upvotes
Ontario
A heads up for anyone activating card and changing PIN. Here is what I did...
1- Called the automated system and activated the card
2- The automated system then gave me the option to change the PIN. So I did.
3- Loaded $100 onto card.
4- Registered for Amazon Prime.
...All is going well.
5- Visit a local grocery store to make a first small transaction. The credit card terminal request my PIN I entered the new PIN (Step 2). The terminal rejected the new PIN. Luckily I remembered the assigned PIN that was issued with the card and entered it. Success. Lucky for me I remembered the PIN that came with card. Memory is not as strong as it once was.
6- I go next door to the dollar store for another minimal transaction to see if my new PIN has been downloaded to my card while at the grocery store. Success ... yes it was. My card is ready for future trips to warmer climates!

Conclusion... You must use the assigned PIN to downloaded your new PIN to the card... It may be just me but I assumed registering a new pin would allow it to be downloaded on first transaction. If this helps anyone else then you can learn from my mistake.
Floppy Disks = Back Ailment
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6362 posts
5569 upvotes
leocleoc wrote: A heads up for anyone activating card and changing PIN. Here is what I did...
...All is going well.
5- Visit a local grocery store to make a first small transaction. The credit card terminal request my PIN I entered the new PIN (Step 2). The terminal rejected the new PIN. Luckily I remembered the assigned PIN that was issued with the card and entered it. Success. Lucky for me I remembered the PIN that came with card. Memory is not as strong as it once was.
6- I go next door to the dollar store for another minimal transaction to see if my new PIN has been downloaded to my card while at the grocery store. Success ... yes it was. My card is ready for future trips to warmer climates!

Conclusion... You must use the assigned PIN to downloaded your new PIN to the card... It may be just me but I assumed registering a new pin would allow it to be downloaded on first transaction. If this helps anyone else then you can learn from my mistake.
That's quite interesting.

I totally forgot about changing the pin since I've only been using it online. Afaik you weren't able to change the pin but I guess they changed it.
Mar 30, 2017
239 posts
185 upvotes
leocleoc wrote: A heads up for anyone activating card and changing PIN. Here is what I did...
...All is going well.

The same thing happened to me not sure if this is intended or some kind of bug. Old pin still active after changing my PIN until I used my old PIN one more time
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10901 posts
1084 upvotes
Squamish
I activated through... the app I think? Maybe website? I don't even know what my PIN is?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
Kaitlyn wrote: I activated through... the app I think? Maybe website? I don't even know what my PIN is?
is it supposed to be a question or is it to ask for a favor?
If a question, please contact customer service.
if asking for a favor, make sure your wording is appropriately a request.

877-782-2501 - Follow the IVR.
leocleoc wrote: Conclusion... You must use the assigned PIN to downloaded your new PIN to the card... It may be just me but I assumed registering a new pin would allow it to be downloaded on first transaction. If this helps anyone else then you can learn from my mistake.
Actually, the official way is to visit an ATM and do a "balance inquiry"
If you'd like to change using POS method, the 3rd try will get you through LOL
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Exactly... Stack is becoming a start up joke. Mine was allegedly sent dec 2. ORLY?? That's a sunday. It's already 17 days and I live in TO. They are based in TO. We all know CP doesnt work sunday. Dec 2nd was the day I was approved by a manager (spoke to her on the fone) not when the card was sent. They give the typical answer. Keep waiting or we reissue you a new card or we can close your account. Niccce! Then they say if we reissue you a new card it will take even longer.. so keep waiting. WTF. When asked where their location is they wont tell. They just say becuz we are online you dont need to know our physical address. WTF 2.0! Yet I can find out all sorts of addresses for google, amazon, ebay, etc, etc every single online company and online retailer's physical locales. Is this place run by the mafia or a CRA indian call center?? lol. Funny, I applied for BMO's prepaid MC two business days prior and the card was received within 5 business sent by CP Expedited. That's also a difference. Stack only sends shit by regular CP mail. They have no other delivery alternatives. They have no internal tracking system like the banks do. Once it's "sent" they know as much as you do. Larger org's can provide alternatives start-up's cant or not willing to pay for. Now they say my card wont be received for a month - end of december at best. I doubt it tho... They can never give a straight story. These guys are becoming increasingly annoying. Live Chat isnt any better than the csr's. :rolleyes:
Last edited by aznnorth on Dec 19th, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1557 posts
1850 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A lot of negative stuff posted here... Just want to say for what it's worth, I've had no issues with Stack. I've been a cardholder since August. I've done successful reloads via e-transfer, Visa Debit, direct deposit and bill pay. I'm not crazy about the offers other than free year of subscription service. I've had several interactions with representatives via phone and live chat, they have always been friendly and for the most part able to resolve any issues. As long as they can hang onto the zero-fee foreign exchange/withdrawal, they're a keeper for me.
Last edited by aweawea on Dec 19th, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.