• Dec 1st, 2019 3:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2392 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Stack or not to stack? Firestone and Continental recommend the opposite

I looked at conti and f'stone websites, and both say the opposite. Conti says tire on wheels it is better to stack them, f'stone says it's better not to.

You'd think tire manufacturers would at least know how to store tires! After reading them both, I am nowhere closer to knowing the right answer.

https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare. ... n-seasons/

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/t ... ring-tires
24 replies
Oct 1, 2015
832 posts
1010 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Stack them. Rims or no rims.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
Stack, and those sites are treating like tires are made of tofu, ofc don't expose to elements.

Still amazing some ppl hang them, that puts undue stress at unintended areas. Also, who the heck has that strong of wall mounts? Insane unnecessary over-complication.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
Stack them and if you're really worried just bring the bottom tire to the top every month or something.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Still amazing some ppl hang them, that puts undue stress at unintended areas. Also, who the heck has that strong of wall mounts? Insane unnecessary over-complication.
The inner rim of a tyre has 700-900 pounds of force applied constantly when its mounted on a car, the force applied over the bottom 1/3rd of the diameter of the annular inner rim of the tyre. 22 pounds of force (ie: the weight of a tyre) even applied over a relatively small portion of the annulus is nothing comparatively.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
burnt69 wrote: The inner rim of a tyre has 700-900 pounds of force applied constantly when its mounted on a car, the force applied over the bottom 1/3rd of the diameter of the annular inner rim of the tyre. 22 pounds of force (ie: the weight of a tyre) even applied over a relatively small portion of the annulus is nothing comparatively.
OK, tx, then it's more for aesthetic reasons e.g. scratching, and going through the trouble of affixing a crazily strong hook on some wall. How much space does one save by not stacking wheels on the ground?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5145 posts
2745 upvotes
Toronto
I stacked 8 summer rims in the cold room! Someone beat that
Oct 1, 2015
832 posts
1010 upvotes
Barrie, ON
tranquility922 wrote: OK, tx, then it's more for aesthetic reasons e.g. scratching, and going through the trouble of affixing a crazily strong hook on some wall. How much space does one save by not stacking wheels on the ground?
Luckily you've got wall studs every 12 or 16inches. You only need to find two of them for this to work. 3in deck screw and you're golden. It's not complicated. If I needed the room I'd hang them, but I don't so I stack them.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1290 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
I personally stack them to save more room (they are mounted on rims).
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
mxthor3 wrote: Luckily you've got wall studs every 12 or 16inches. You only need to find two of them for this to work. 3in deck screw and you're golden. It's not complicated. If I needed the room I'd hang them, but I don't so I stack them.
I know one can do it, but why make holes on the wall to save that paltry space wheels occupy, in addition to trying to ensure a heavy thing will stay in place and not rip off the wall, damaging that and the floor? Just unnecessary work imo.