Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
StackSocial.com

Hushed - Private phone number for life (for CAD34)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2020 7:10 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Hushed - Private phone number for life (for CAD34)

Deal Link:
Price:
USD25
Expiry:
January 19, 2020
Retailer:
StackSocial.com
Deal pops up few times a year, so if you missed it the last time, here's your chance.

YUP: You don't need this if you are currently happy with Textnow or Fongo.

Great for Cragislist, Kijiji and FB marketplace. Not so great for banks, Uber and other services that deploy OTP auth.

You get a combination of 6000 SMS or 1000 Min worth in credits per year when you pay the CAD 34 (USD 25) one time charge. Credits renew yearly but you pay only once.
Note that there's a GET 10% OFF link on the deal page as well.
Deal gets you one US or Canadian phone number.
NOTE: Not fully compatible with OTP.

===================================
Description

Keep your real phone number hidden while making calls and sending texts for work, dating, Craigslist sales, and more thanks to Hushed. You'll use their simple and secure app to easily make calls on your second number (you'll even choose the area code) without committing to another long, expensive phone contract. Customize your voicemail and use Wi-Fi or data to talk without expensive service charges. It's true communication anonymity delivered.

"A viable, more lightweight alternative to something like Google Voice." TechCrunch

Use included plan towards a combination of 6,000 SMS or 1,000 phone minutes per year
Make calls & send texts from a private phone number without monthly fees
Choose from 100's of area codes across the US and Canada
Manage your communication from a single app
Access one lifetime number per account
Customize your voicemail
Set up call forwarding settings
Utilize Wi-Fi or data while you chat so you don't incur service charges

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.24.28.png
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
44 replies
Aug 17, 2011
296 posts
366 upvotes
Interesting - wonder if this is a better way to deal with two factor authentication in the wake of a lot of sim-spoofing scams/attacks.
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
795 upvotes
niksfever wrote: Interesting - wonder if this is a better way to deal with two factor authentication in the wake of a lot of sim-spoofing scams/attacks.
Virtual / burner / VOIP numbers don't work with most 2FA systems. Can't even register WhatsApp.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
niksfever wrote: Interesting - wonder if this is a better way to deal with two factor authentication in the wake of a lot of sim-spoofing scams/attacks.
No it isn't. Unfortunately none of these apps (Fongo, TextNow etc...) are reliable candidates for OTP/2FA.

Expect lighter, ' less serious' use out of these services...such as a proxy number for CL/FB/Kijiji sales etc.
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Jan 17th, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 31, 2014
567 posts
910 upvotes
ontario
Really tempted to use my $13 in credits towards this as they expire in a month... What can this even be used for beyond Craiglist/Kijiji contacts?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Growingupisold wrote: Really tempted to use my $13 in credits towards this as they expire in a month... What can this even be used for beyond Craiglist/Kijiji contacts?
Well, it's still a voip phone number with basic SMS capabilities, so it depends on what your needs are beyond what you stated.

The only thing it sucks for is SMSSC (ShortCodes), which is why 2FA/OTP doesn't work, other than that, it's just a regular phone number.

I've had mine (Hushed) for over 2 years. Great for craigslist.

It does work for some 2FA/OTP sites...the ones that let you use the "Call me instead" feature. But yeah, I wouldn't fully trust it for 2FA.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
i have this for a burner line...how much was it last time someone posted this hushed deal. i can't rmember how much i paid
also someone said u only get ONE number so u cannot change the number i don't think
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikka2017 wrote: i have this for a burner line...how much was it last time someone posted this hushed deal. i can't rmember how much i paid
also someone said u only get ONE number so u cannot change the number i don't think
Same thing last time as well...USD25, which is about CAD34.

They've had this deal off and on for about 2 years....the only thing that has changed is the amount of credits offered (number of minutes or texts).
May 27, 2019
30 posts
39 upvotes
This service is a rip off from my experience. I paid for a lifetime number with a similar promo. It worked great for about a year post which they deleted my account. I reached out to customer service and was told I violated their terms of service. Asked for more details on what exactly I did in violation for their terms and was given no answer. I used the number to forward calls from my Telus number to my Hushed number while roaming outside Canada. Not sure how that violated their terms. Terrible customer service so I would not recommend using them.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
axif86 wrote: This service is a rip off from my experience. I paid for a lifetime number with a similar promo. It worked great for about a year post which they deleted my account. I reached out to customer service and was told I violated their terms of service. Asked for more details on what exactly I did in violation for their terms and was given no answer. I used the number to forward calls from my Telus number to my Hushed number while roaming outside Canada. Not sure how that violated their terms. Terrible customer service so I would not recommend using them.
Not sure what you did but I had the exact opposite experience. My account got disabled at some point, and I had to reach out to them for it. They said, the phone number was recycled because I hadn't used it in over 8 months, but since I had a lifetime plan, they'll reactivate it and I'll need to choose a new number. I was up and running again 5 minutes after. Maybe I got lucky and got a really nice rep, maybe you got unlucky and got one having a really bad day. Who knows...
Dec 11, 2010
100 posts
18 upvotes
Salmon Arm
I’m extremely curious if you are allowed to forward your regular number to this number while travelling, or is that what caused the other user to have his account deactivated. Might work good for US trips if it’s allowed
May 27, 2019
30 posts
39 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: Not sure what you did but I had the exact opposite experience. My account got disabled at some point, and I had to reach out to them for it. They said, the phone number was recycled because I hadn't used it in over 8 months, but since I had a lifetime plan, they'll reactivate it and I'll need to choose a new number. I was up and running again 5 minutes after. Maybe I got lucky and got a really nice rep, maybe you got unlucky and got one having a really bad day. Who knows...
I thought it was the same thing. Reached out multiple times but no response. I even had the website which posted the offer contact them. The service team reached out to me and gave me the same answerthat I "violated" their terms of service. Like I said, I used it to forward calls from my Canadian number and i don't see how that was against their terms of service. Even if it was, I'd respect if they could get back to me and say it's not allowed rather than ignore my request for more information.

Anyway I'm just sharing my bad experience with them so users have another perspective when making a decision
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1473 posts
2779 upvotes
Ontario
Growingupisold wrote: What can this even be used for beyond Craiglist/Kijiji contacts?
An affair? Sorry, with a company name like "Hushed" that was the first thing that came to mind before I even opened the thread. haha. Felt to me like they're targeting a specific market with their branding, logo style, etc.
May 10, 2010
940 posts
1483 upvotes
Kenora
This is great. with the %10 off promo for the newsletter it comes to $22.50USD/$29.35CAD

This is perfect for selling on Kijiji, I hate putting my phone number on there. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SP2010 wrote: I’m extremely curious if you are allowed to forward your regular number to this number while travelling, or is that what caused the other user to have his account deactivated. Might work good for US trips if it’s allowed

That’s how I’ve always used it..as a call forwarding thingie.

I originally had it setup to forward calls made to my telus cell number to my Hushed when I was traveling.

I use it now to forward calls to my AT&T number.

It’s hard to violate TOS in terms of usage when the service itself has a limited amount of call minutes/text allocated to ones account to begin with, so hard to say what happened to the other fellow. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1734 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why you would pay for this instead of just using textnow / other similar services for a throwaway number?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1015 posts
448 upvotes
Do people use this to bridge Google Voice?
Salesperson
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2991 posts
2815 upvotes
+1000000 upvotes
axif86 wrote: I thought it was the same thing. Reached out multiple times but no response. I even had the website which posted the offer contact them. The service team reached out to me and gave me the same answerthat I "violated" their terms of service. Like I said, I used it to forward calls from my Canadian number and i don't see how that was against their terms of service. Even if it was, I'd respect if they could get back to me and say it's not allowed rather than ignore my request for more information.

Anyway I'm just sharing my bad experience with them so users have another perspective when making a decision
Give TextNow or 2ndLine a try... and use a VPN to spoof your location to somewhere in Canada when you're travelling, and have your Telus number forwarded to one of these VOIP apps...
Always buy now & think later, or else you'll regret your decision forever.
The first rule of RFD is to not talk about RFD or call customer service to ask about price errors.
The second rule of RFD is to not forget about the first rule.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
OnceOrTwice wrote: Not sure why you would pay for this instead of just using textnow / other similar services for a throwaway number?
vancityguy0 wrote:
YUP: You don't need this if you are currently happy with Textnow or Fongo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)