• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2021 10:31 am
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
597 posts
221 upvotes
Bradford

Staining Adirondack Chairs

I purchased some of those Bear chairs from Canadian Tire. They are made of pine.
What are my best options for finish?
Cutek Deck Stain?

We’d like them to be dark (almost black) if possible to go with the patio.
3 replies
Jan 21, 2011
740 posts
303 upvotes
GTA
Look up and see if Saman makes anything for the outdoors. Stains I have used were water based, but they sell oil based as well. I am thinking the varnish would have to be U/V resistant .
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1141 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Cutek is the best so if you want to spend that on $50 chairs then by all means
JS
Nov 21, 2007
316 posts
53 upvotes
Pictou County, NS
Topher86 wrote: I purchased some of those Bear chairs from Canadian Tire. They are made of pine.
What are my best options for finish?
Cutek Deck Stain?

We’d like them to be dark (almost black) if possible to go with the patio.
You''ll see several suggestions on another thread which I will try to post here;

costco-costco-muskoka-chair-pine-54-99- ... e-2446135/

I posted this on that thread;
I was about to post very similar sentiments. Between my brother and I we have 8-10 of these wonderful chairs from Bear Chair and Costco. We have almost adjoining cottages on the Northumberland Strait.
I will echo your comments that if you have the time ,grab a palm sander and run it over all boards before assembling.
Also I used the Home Hardware Wood Shield Solid stain in red as well as blue before assembling. Note the blue covered way better than than The red. But they both look great. I touch mine up every 2-3 years and they look great.
One big suggestion is to grab some stainless steel Robertson screws to replace what comes with the kit. My brother suggested this as he bought his before I did and he had some rust bleed thru his paint. I recommend this as we both take pride on how good these chairs look when we’ll kept and having rust bled thru is a stain that ruins the finish look we both like.
I would go as far as saying don’t glue as you can easily back out the screws to easily replace the boards of rot sets in.
I will note, we both keep our chairs inside from Nov- May each year.
Sand and stain before assembling and you will be happy at how good they will look.
It also should be stated as they are very relaxing to sit in.
I will add one comment about the manufacturer support. I had one of the arms defective where no matter how I sanded it still remained gauged. I took pictures and they send a replacement no questions asked.

It’s a great deal for a great product.

It’s a rewarding project - go for it.

Another point- I used solid stain from Home hardware. I beileve it was this product;
BEAUTI-TONE WOOD SHIELD BEST 100% Acrylic Deck & Siding Stain - Solid Clear Base, 3.4 L.

I'll also suggest with a black deck that you may want to consider infusing some colour and not stain them black.