Home & Garden

Staining Fence- Quality of Stain

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2020 10:59 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Dec 10, 2012
435 posts
281 upvotes
Vancouver

Staining Fence- Quality of Stain

Hi All,
I am in the process of re-staining my fence. I am just finishing pressure washing. Now I am looking to determine the best stain to use and looking at price and quality. Home Depot has a cheaper Behr stain and a more expensive. The guy working there said the more expensive stain will last longer. Can anyone confirm this to be accurate? Is it worth the extra cost?

Many thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2362 posts
1333 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Avoid water based... Go with an oil based stain. I think homedepot (or maybe it's Lowe's) has Cabot oil stain.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9830 posts
9474 upvotes
Markham
Cutek Extreme

Nothing else is as good.
Sr. Member
Sep 30, 2004
717 posts
111 upvotes
Markham
We used Benjamin Moore stains - still holding up well and it's been 5 years. So I would say paying a bit more for quality stuff is worth it.

Have you looked at Sherwin-Williams they they tend to have sales often - like half off.


As a side note: the temperature isn't good for stain work yet....
[OP]
Member
Dec 10, 2012
435 posts
281 upvotes
Vancouver
saw_mui wrote: We used Benjamin Moore stains - still holding up well and it's been 5 years. So I would say paying a bit more for quality stuff is worth it.

Have you looked at Sherwin-Williams they they tend to have sales often - like half off.


As a side note: the temperature isn't good for stain work yet....
Thank will check out Sherwin Williams. Didn't think about paint companies.

17-20 degrees here in BC so should be OK I hope
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2016
663 posts
563 upvotes
Comox Valley
dinkeye wrote: 17-20 degrees here in BC so should be OK I hope
I just did some staining in BC on outside table and chairs, and they said to make sure it was 10 degrees and above. You should be good.

You got to love living in BC Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1359 posts
1464 upvotes
West GTA
I recommend you don't use anything but Cutek Extreme. It's head and shoulders above the rest. If you really don't want oil-based then using a Sansin product is Plan B. If you get a cheap or a film-forming stain, you'll regret it as restaining is awful when you have to strip. Cutek can just be topped up after fence is cleaned. Can get Cutek at specialty stores or Home Hardware (they'll get it sent to the store for pickup).

Note that Cutek is expensive. It's got high coverage, so it's not nearly as bad as it appears, but it's still pricey as it's a premium product shipped from Australia. It's still worth it not to have to deal with peeling stains that don't last. Plus it protects the fence better than film-forming stains, so fence should last longer. There are US-based stains that are also good (though not as good as Cutek) like Armstrong Clark and TWP, and Sansin is also excellent (made in Quebec so you're buying local, penetrating water-based, claims to be more eco-friendly), though again Cutek is better.

Article comparing stains:

https://www.deckmagazine.com/design-con ... e-sequel_o
Last edited by grumble on Apr 16th, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Member
Dec 10, 2012
435 posts
281 upvotes
Vancouver
grumble wrote: I recommend you don't use anything but Cutek Extreme. It's head and shoulders above the rest. If you really don't want oil-based then using a Sansin product is Plan B. If you get a cheap or a film-forming stain, you'll regret it as restaining is awful when you have to strip. Cutek can just be topped up after fence is cleaned. Can get Cutek at specialty stores or Home Hardware (they'll get it sent to the store for pickup).

Note that Cutek is expensive. It's got high coverage, so it's not nearly as bad as it appears, but it's still pricey as it's a premium product shipped from Australia. It's still worth it not to have to deal with peeling stains that don't last. Plus it protects the fence better than film-forming stains, so fence should last longer. There are US-based stains that are also good (though not as good as Cutek) like Armstrong Clark and TWP, and Sansin is also excellent (made in Quebec so you're buying local, penetrating water-based, claims to be more eco-friendly), though again Cutek is better.
Thanks for all that. Some great thoughts

Top