Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1267 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto

Staining a small deck

I will be staining my deck this weekend and I have a few questions for our stain experts here. My deck is around 15 feet by 5 feet, it's facing east so it only gets direct sunlight in the morning until noon. I live in a townhouse so it's covered on both sides and the top. The deck wood is almost 13 years old. Water does not bead anymore but wood is still in good condition. I already prepped the deck for staining. I used a deck cleaner, power washed it, filled any uneven surfaces and sanded it this week. It's now dry and ready to be stained.

• Do I need an oil based stain or a water-based stain? I want to go for the lowest maintenance as possible. I want at least 3-4 years of life before I had to re-condition the deck again.
  • I am leaning towards semi-permanent to hide some of the marks from years of grilling. What's your take on the solid colours? Do they last longer?
  • Which brand do you recommend that can be bought in Canada? I read a few posts already and I know that there are brands that people really like but they are not available in Canada. Let's just stick with the ones that can be bought in one of the big box stores if possible.

Thanks for all your help.
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Koodo: $30 20GB for 24 months
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Oil based

I recommend Cutek, but it's not always in everyone's budget
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1267 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Oil based

Where do you buy this in Toronto?
Mar 19, 2013
710 posts
217 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Another vote for BM Arborcoat. Great product.
Jan 11, 2008
646 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I used Duckback (by Superdeck). Oil-based as well. My deck contractor suggested I go oil because the deck faces southwest and gets bashed with sun and UV rays.

I'm at the 3 year mark with the stain (went with a transparent cedar stain on microsienna wood). Next year I'll wash and restain.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1267 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone! I decided to go with Cutek Extreme.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9461 posts
11235 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
jigsatics wrote: Thanks everyone! I decided to go with Cutek Extreme.
Good luck with the project! Sounds like you have done your prep.

If anyone else is looking for stain Flood from Dulux is very good. And buy one, get one free between June 18 - July 8th. Plus an additional 3% if swipe a CAA card.

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/promotions
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12130 posts
7313 upvotes
Paris
schade wrote: Oil based

How much does it run roughly?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3380 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote: How much does it run roughly?
About $100/gallon plus $10 for tint.

The 1 gallon has a lot of coverage for new wood(detailed in link below). From what I have read there is no wait time to apply so it can be done immediately after the deck is built or even before on all sides of the wood. Applying on hot/sunny days won’t be an issue too. It won’t peel, only fades to a lighter shade which will be the sign to reapply a new coat.

http://www.idecks.ca/product/cutek-extreme-1-gallon/