Food & Drink

Stainless Frying Pan/ Skillet - what should I get and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 6:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2996 posts
1801 upvotes

Stainless Frying Pan/ Skillet - what should I get and why?

My wife has been on me for a while for some stainless/carbon steel pans but I do not know much about them or the best ones to use. Looking for a few frying pans, maybe a set of cookware if it is good. What have you used and why is it the best for you?

How are these?

https://www.thebay.com/product/de-buyer ... lor=SILVER
Got that Fido Account!!
Got that Zoomer Account!!
8 replies
May 28, 2012
11082 posts
3231 upvotes
Saskatoon
Carbon steel is quite heavy and unless you can season it properly, it will stick as much as stainless steel. I have de Buyer Mineral B 11" and 13" pans and they are collecting dust. I only ever used the 13" a couple times because the weight made it hard to use, even with a helper handle. I wanted to get out of buying nonstick because I was sick of having to replace them every few months when the surface started to go. So far, I have not found a replacement that works as well, although there are applications when I can tolerate a bit more sticking.

Only buy a set if you have use for all the pieces and there is a considerable savings over buying them separately. My most used pans are a Le Creuset 3 1/2 qt stainless saucier, a 4 qt (all clad) saucepan, 1 1/2 qt (all clad) saucepan, 2 qt Scanpan saucepan and various all clad nonstick pans. Also a couple of Lodge cast iron for deep frying and some Staub enamelled cast iron for breadmaking and stews/soups. I have a couple of stainless steel stockpots/Dutch Ovens for stock and jam making (all clad and Scanpan). I have the D5 all clad, the 3 ply doesn't have that bump on the handle and it's harder to grip (a common complaint).

Everyone is going to have different needs and budgets. If you can afford it, go with a high quality brand because it will make cooking more enjoyable.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19934 posts
4520 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Mars2012 wrote: Carbon steel is quite heavy and unless you can season it properly, it will stick as much as stainless steel. I have de Buyer Mineral B 11" and 13" pans and they are collecting dust. I only ever used the 13" a couple times because the weight made it hard to use, even with a helper handle. I wanted to get out of buying nonstick because I was sick of having to replace them every few months when the surface started to go. So far, I have not found a replacement that works as well, although there are applications when I can tolerate a bit more sticking.
I also have the de Buyer Mineral B and I use it all the time.
I went through 10 rounds of seasoning with flaxseed oil before the initial use.
As for the pan, I love it, but it definitely is extra work in terms of seasoning, cleaning, care, etc. You have to be really careful on a glass top range.
But my steaks, eggs, bacon, etc., are incomparable!
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
May 28, 2012
11082 posts
3231 upvotes
Saskatoon
Jucius Maximus wrote: I also have the de Buyer Mineral B and I use it all the time.
I went through 10 rounds of seasoning with flaxseed oil before the initial use.
As for the pan, I love it, but it definitely is extra work in terms of seasoning, cleaning, care, etc. You have to be really careful on a glass top range.
But my steaks, eggs, bacon, etc., are incomparable!
10 rounds of seasoning! You are obviously more patient than me ;). True be told, I got these due to the Air Miles fiasco (when they threatened to expire the AM's so you had to redeem them for merchandise). If I had a gas range, it would probably make seasoning a lot easier. The Mineral B pans have a silicon bit in the handle that can't withstand high heat (i.e. from oven seasoning). I tried the fried onions, oil and salt seasoning trick with limited success.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19934 posts
4520 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Mars2012 wrote: 10 rounds of seasoning! You are obviously more patient than me ;). True be told, I got these due to the Air Miles fiasco (when they threatened to expire the AM's so you had to redeem them for merchandise). If I had a gas range, it would probably make seasoning a lot easier. The Mineral B pans have a silicon bit in the handle that can't withstand high heat (i.e. from oven seasoning). I tried the fried onions, oil and salt seasoning trick with limited success.
Yes, I am patient. I seasoned 2-3 layers per day for almost a week!
As for the silicone bit, you can pop that out very easily. I did season this one in the oven.
I still keep T-Fal non stick pans around for their convenience. Especially for pancakes, etc., the non-stick is very convenient for me.
May 28, 2012
11082 posts
3231 upvotes
Saskatoon
Jucius Maximus wrote: Yes, I am patient. I seasoned 2-3 layers per day for almost a week!
As for the silicone bit, you can pop that out very easily. I did season this one in the oven.
I still keep T-Fal non stick pans around for their convenience. Especially for pancakes, etc., the non-stick is very convenient for me.
Which kind of oil did you use for seasoning? Some recommend flax seed or avocado and others say canola. I think the important thing is to add in very thin layers so that it doesn't gum up.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19934 posts
4520 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Mars2012 wrote: Which kind of oil did you use for seasoning? Some recommend flax seed or avocado and others say canola. I think the important thing is to add in very thin layers so that it doesn't gum up.
Flaxseed oil.
The 'gumming up' issue was definitely a real thing. I ended up taking a paper towel and polishing the oil layer extremely thin, almost like polishing a shoe to a high shine. One seasoned glob and I had to sand that spot down a bit with steel wool.

Oil, polish, bake, cool, repeat. I usually did one layer in the morning before work, let it cool during the day, and then again in the night.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1826 posts
385 upvotes
I picked up a Meyer SS pan since the kids didn't want nonstick pans. I'm not going to get carbon steel because these same kids put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher.

It's okay, you just need to let it get hot before putting in eggs or something like that. I'd buy individual pieces but this is the time of the year where sets go on sale and it may be cheaper to get the set and donate/sell sizes you don't want.