• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 11:21 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8477 posts
4407 upvotes

Stainless steel cooktop - cleaning

What is the best way to clean a stainless steel cooktop to avoid scratches, spots or marks? I have never worked with stainless steel before and don't want to mess it up. Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6407 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Use a very clean soft cloth or sponge only each time and use lightly (hard dirt trapped in it will scratch). No abrasive agents/cleaners (so a detergent only and/or vinegar). Don't even think of using the "gentle" plastic scourer on sponges allegedly safe for non-stick.

Might try to get some Dawn Power Scrubber from the U.S. (discontinued in Canada) to remove burnt-on bits.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Jul 14, 2017
254 posts
24 upvotes
Canada
We changed over to gas when we did over the kitchen and went with a Kitchenaid 30" dual fuel,double oven 'stainless' range and we can't believe how easy it is to scratch the surface,even a finger nail can scratch this so called stainless. You will get all kinds of spots and scratches,especially if yours is gas and you have to remove the cast iron grills to clean the top.
We use Weiman stainless cleaner in the spray bottle.H50
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2330 posts
499 upvotes
Yeah we just bought a duel fuel stove all stainless steel and it's pretty difficult to not scratch anything, anywhere. The surface where the burners is also next to impossible to stay new. Pretty easy to keep clean, but no scratches? Pretty impossible iMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1311 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
Getting a stainless steel topped gas stove is one of my biggest regrets in life. Should have got an enamel or porcelain topped one.
Dec 31, 2007
458 posts
123 upvotes
i found waxing the stainless steel surfaces with car wax/polish makes cleaning up grease and oil splashes on the surface much easier. the grease and oil just wipes off. you will have to wax/polish every couple of weeks, but it so much easier.

also don't let the oil and grease cake up as it required more effort to remove/clean.