None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA

Stainless steel cookwares

I'm in the market to get a set of stainless steel cookware. What does the number of ply of materials really mean? All I know is the 3-ply sets are cheaper than 5-ply, and cheaper than many more-ply sets. My question is what does nubmer of play of materials translate to? Is it worth $200 more to get a 5-ply set instead of a 3-ply set?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
just got a 10pc multiclad set from Caynes Housewares at Yonge and Steeles this past weekend...havent used it yet since i havent moved into my new place.

i checked on the website and it's no longer listed...but i know there were at least 2 sets left at $249

this was recommended from other members on RFDs....Caynes also had a 12 pc set for 249 stainless steel with copper bottoms there also.

just remember if you buy these...you will need to wear mitts to hold it cause it gets hot.

else you can always spend about $100-$150 more (around $400) to get a jamie oliver set with silcon bottoms on the handles at the bay...each weekend it's 1/2 price...buy some [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=185]HBC[/rfdlink] gift cards and you can save on taxes of course.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
??? What's the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=185]HBC[/rfdlink] giftcard thing to save taxes? Is there some sort of promotion going on for that? Passed by Sears last week and saw this Martha Stewart 8-pc, 3-ply, set for $200. Other 5-ply sets (Kitchen Aid, Lagostina, etc) run for about $400. That's why I asked. Seems like the more ply it has, the better heat distribution on the surface (thanks for the link, leungly). Not sure if I can justify spending $400 for the set though...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1519 upvotes
Markham, ON
NDman wrote:??? What's the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=185]HBC[/rfdlink] giftcard thing to save taxes? Is there some sort of promotion going on for that? Passed by Sears last week and saw this Martha Stewart 8-pc, 3-ply, set for $200. Other 5-ply sets (Kitchen Aid, Lagostina, etc) run for about $400. That's why I asked. Seems like the more ply it has, the better heat distribution on the surface (thanks for the link, leungly). Not sure if I can justify spending $400 for the set though...
...no no ...get [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=185]HBC[/rfdlink] cards on the forum for 10-20% off...it's like saving the taxes/discount
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
thelefteyeguy wrote:...no no ...get [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=185]HBC[/rfdlink] cards on the forum for 10-20% off...it's like saving the taxes/discount
Ah, I see. Thought there's a promotion that I should be jumping on. :)

Another question is that has anyone tried those silicone handle? They said it's oven-safe up to 400F. Since cooking at and up around 375 is not at all unusual, I'm a little skeptical about the 400F limit. Can anyone comment on that with experience?