Stairtop Baby Gate with Pet Door

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 3:38 pm
[OP]
Sep 29, 2019
31 posts
3 upvotes

Stairtop Baby Gate with Pet Door

We've been looking around for a while and can find countless hardware mounted options for the top of stairs and countless pressure mounted options with cat doors. However, we can't seem to find a single hardware mounted baby gate with a cat door. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3680 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Stuntman2625 wrote: We've been looking around for a while and can find countless hardware mounted options for the top of stairs and countless pressure mounted options with cat doors. However, we can't seem to find a single hardware mounted baby gate with a cat door. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!
I think the problem is the ones with pet doors require a rigid bar to go across the bottom of the gate to securely fasten the pet swinging door part. And bars across bottom of gate can't be used on top of stairs due to it being a tripping hazard, so are limited to the pressure mounted gates just meant for hallways. There may be one out there, but I've personally never seen.

The top-of-stair gates are usually elevated a bit off the ground, so if cat is agile enough they may be able to just squeeze under the gate even without the door.
Jul 5, 2004
24748 posts
4042 upvotes
Just install the gate high enough off the floor that the cat can squeeze under it.
Dec 22, 2014
839 posts
276 upvotes
Regina, SK
Shaner's tip should work, unless you have a really big cat. I probably wouldn't go much higher than 4 inches - a crawling baby might still be able to try and squirm under it, but you will probably see it happening and have time to stop them before they are successful.