• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2019 1:06 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…

Stale Air Return - Viability of Option

Try to keep this simple. First off I am aware of the need for stale air returns, I know it is commonly referred to as cold air return, however as is use is more for the recycling of air I will use my term. Known fact (IIRC) is that when heated or cooled air goes into closed room then there must be a return or the value of that air is non-existent as the room will always be cooler or warmer than other rooms depending on season, example room will be cooler in winter if heat is called for and vice versa in summer.

Attached photo refers:
1 - Last two rooms in my new home is now being completed, but with a suspended ceiling as opposed to drywall (arms and back can no longer do overhead work).
2 - This is the return duct, 6" that has no branches and I assume the builder (20 years ago) left it this way to circulate the air at this end of the house.
3 - Other areas, at this end (washroom and hall), are already vented with their own returns.

Question - Would it suffice to just install a ceiling lighting grid panel in each of these rooms to vent the rooms as this duct is in the ceiling rafters? Ceiling Grid:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/plasko ... 1000110881
Images
  • IMG_20190313_095124.jpg
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
rcmpvet wrote: Try to keep this simple. First off I am aware of the need for stale air returns, I know it is commonly referred to as cold air return, however as is use is more for the recycling of air I will use my term. Known fact (IIRC) is that when heated or cooled air goes into closed room then there must be a return or the value of that air is non-existent as the room will always be cooler or warmer than other rooms depending on season, example room will be cooler in winter if heat is called for and vice versa in summer.

Attached photo refers:
1 - Last two rooms in my new home is now being completed, but with a suspended ceiling as opposed to drywall (arms and back can no longer do overhead work).
2 - This is the return duct, 6" that has no branches and I assume the builder (20 years ago) left it this way to circulate the air at this end of the house.
3 - Other areas, at this end (washroom and hall), are already vented with their own returns.

Question - Would it suffice to just install a ceiling lighting grid panel in each of these rooms to vent the rooms as this duct is in the ceiling rafters? Ceiling Grid:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/plasko ... 1000110881
Office spaces do it this way.
It shouldn't be a problem at all. IIRC OBC doesn't have specifics on how they must terminate just the conditions where they must exist, eg if you don't have a return in every room you need to have a gap under the door of a certain size.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6586 posts
1750 upvotes
rural ontario
rcmpvet wrote: Try to keep this simple. First off I am aware of the need for stale air returns, I know it is commonly referred to as cold air return, however as is use is more for the recycling of air I will use my term. Known fact (IIRC) is that when heated or cooled air goes into closed room then there must be a return or the value of that air is non-existent as the room will always be cooler or warmer than other rooms depending on season, example room will be cooler in winter if heat is called for and vice versa in summer.

Attached photo refers:
ewww.. stale air is an understatement.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
tebore wrote: Office spaces do it this way.
It shouldn't be a problem at all. IIRC OBC doesn't have specifics on how they must terminate just the conditions where they must exist, eg if you don't have a return in every room you need to have a gap under the door of a certain size.
I forgot all about office spaces, thank you. As for the space under the doors I always cut my door to leave about an inch gap. Again thank you.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
rcmpvet wrote: I forgot all about office spaces, thank you. As for the space under the doors I always cut my door to leave about an inch gap. Again thank you.
Cutting doors used to be done in the old days when there was not a air return in each room. Some older houses have a central air return on each floor and the air from the rooms had no way to circulate the forced air. I am quite sure that if you have a return in the room, you don't need to do that.
As for your situation, you may want to direct the return to the location farthest away from the air vent.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@Pete_Coach Yea, I am still old school in that regard. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)