Food & Drink

Stampede drinking strategy/Lowest alcohol beer in Calgary bars?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2017 8:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1768 posts
334 upvotes
Calgary

Stampede drinking strategy/Lowest alcohol beer in Calgary bars?

Calgary Stampede is coming. Yahoo!

I love to go out to the bars with coworkers and friends, but I'm getting too old for the long days of drinking. I know, I know... I don't HAVE to drink. On the other hand, when you go out with clients and they keep ordering drinks, it's so much easier to just accept it in the name of relationship building than to be sipping water all night long. This said, what's a good strategy to keep the drinks flowing but still keeping it sustainable for a week? Current thought... get lower alcohol % beers... what are the beers with the lowest alcohol content at bars like Cowboys, Nashville North, National, etc?

11 replies
Jan 23, 2017
988 posts
814 upvotes
Calgary
Nuprapture wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 6:19 pm
Calgary Stampede is coming. Yahoo!

I love to go out to the bars with coworkers and friends, but I'm getting too old for the long days of drinking. I know, I know... I don't HAVE to drink. On the other hand, when you go out with clients and they keep ordering drinks, it's so much easier to just accept it in the name of relationship building than to be sipping water all night long. This said, what's a good strategy to keep the drinks flowing but still keeping it sustainable for a week? Current thought... get lower alcohol % beers... what are the beers with the lowest alcohol content at bars like Cowboys, Nashville North, National, etc?

Coors/Bud Light, both 4%. Michelob Ultra is the same I believe.

Radlers and "session" beers are typically 3-4.5%.

Enjoy your Stampede!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40969 posts
4752 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Heres a trick... Carry around a beer.
Ask for a straight shot of vodka.
Shoot the vodka, then chase it down with your beer. But secretly... You're just holding the vodka in your mouth, and spitting it into the beer as you pretend to chase it down.

Everyone will think you're a tank.

I learned this from a movie

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5444 posts
1642 upvotes
Aurora
Why not just nurse a single pint or bottle for an hour or more?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2980 posts
995 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 3:02 am
Shoot the vodka, then chase it down with your beer. But secretly... You're just holding the vodka in your mouth, and spitting it into the beer as you pretend to chase it down.

LOL, I did this but with pop, tastes better
Apr 6, 2004
436 posts
53 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:

How does that help? Now you have beer with a shot of vodka in it that you need to drink...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5477 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
A few times being out with clients I'd alternate between an alcoholic and non-alcoholic beer. They dont notice since its a Krombacher poured in a pint glass (check if those bars have NA options). I made sure that the bartender is in on my strategy.

In your case you might want to stick to 100% NA beers because I have a feeling some of your cases become slippery slopes and some douche orders the dirtiest tequila shots between beer rounds, crippling everyone. Therefore your only alcohol intake is the shots (harder to avoid) and the NA beers will keep you hydrated.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2980 posts
995 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 6:39 pm
When no one is looking poor it out...
I usually just say I'm done the pop and toss it, easier with a can than a bottle
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1768 posts
334 upvotes
Calgary
No Frills wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 5:11 pm
A few times being out with clients I'd alternate between an alcoholic and non-alcoholic beer. They dont notice since its a Krombacher poured in a pint glass (check if those bars have NA options). I made sure that the bartender is in on my strategy.

In your case you might want to stick to 100% NA beers because I have a feeling some of your cases become slippery slopes and some douche orders the dirtiest tequila shots between beer rounds, crippling everyone. Therefore your only alcohol intake is the shots (harder to avoid) and the NA beers will keep you hydrated.
When a stampede party goes on a little too long, shots always make an appearance! I like the sound of this... NA beer for myself whenever I order, low-alcohol requests when someone else is getting the round, and the shots when they come out. This should get me through the week with some part of my liver intact
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2980 posts
995 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:

don't ask for water, they'll spray you too lol, just remembered