Automotive

Standard driving lessons in Toronto (south of Eglinton Ave)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 7:56 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 19, 2005
330 posts
7 upvotes

Standard driving lessons in Toronto (south of Eglinton Ave)

Hi,

Can somebody suggest a driving school where I can learn how to drive manual in Toronto, south of Eglinton Ave. I know how to drive automatic so I'm not looking for a starting from new driving school.

I have done some research online but many locations are in the 905 or too far north for me to bother traveling up, especially during rush hour (which seems to be all the time now).

Thank you.
14 replies
Dec 3, 2014
19 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you have a car that HAS a manual tranny ? Most driving school cars are NOT standard transmission equipped. Only a few driving schools will be bothered to buy a car that has a manual transmission, given the low level of interest in the general public, and the relatively low number of cars that are sold with a stick, these days.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Sep 19, 2013
958 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Shifters.ca but they're pretty pricey
Nov 19, 2005
330 posts
7 upvotes
Hi,

My car is automatic and I don't have access to a manual tranny car.

jimintoronto wrote: Do you have a car that HAS a manual tranny ? Most driving school cars are NOT standard transmission equipped. Only a few driving schools will be bothered to buy a car that has a manual transmission, given the low level of interest in the general public, and the relatively low number of cars that are sold with a stick, these days.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Nov 19, 2005
330 posts
7 upvotes
Nfsryder wrote: Shifters.ca but they're pretty pricey
Thank you. Though pricey, would you recommend them?
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Young Drivers of Canada www.yd.com

Many years ago we hired them to teach my girlfriend how to drive standard. They showed up with a brand new Mustang with a 6 speed manual transmission. The instructor said that it was the ideal car for teaching standard, it did not stall that easily.

I don't remember how much it was, but it was worth it. Recommended.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10060 posts
12665 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest, the best bet would be to ask a friend to teach you. Unfortunately, you need to practice and if you don't have a car to practice on, it's going to take a while.

I've been 5 years removed from a manual tranny car, but I driven on long enough to pick up where I left off.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2240 posts
445 upvotes
if the class costs more than 1000, buy a $1000 car with a manual tranny. learn on it for a week or 2 and sell it....
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
Op you can start by practicing on driving videos games and opting for manual mode. It's a start.
Aug 24, 2008
71 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I did use Shifters and I was happy with them. Three lessons would be enough but I took five. It helps to write down how you do things after you do a lesson. The three key points to drive stick is starting the car to move forward (have to step on the clutch). Stopping the car (which is done by stepping on the brake and clutch). And changing gears (by stepping on the clutch, change the gear then gas the car). Also you should practise NOT rolling back on a hill (this involves slowly letting off the clutch until you don'r rollback. Once you get a stick car its going to take a couple weeks to get use to it. But once you learn. You will probably prefer stick cars.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
motomondo wrote: Young Drivers of Canada www.yd.com

Many years ago we hired them to teach my girlfriend how to drive standard. They showed up with a brand new Mustang with a 6 speed manual transmission. The instructor said that it was the ideal car for teaching standard, it did not stall that easily.

I don't remember how much it was, but it was worth it. Recommended.
YD no longer is a good option for this scenario, they eliminated manual transmissions from their program back in 2013 for the GTA.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/d ... -1.2158806

As everyone else has noted, I think Shifters is the only remaining driving school left and its dedicated only to manual transmissions.

Its nice to see some people taking an interest in driving manuals, since I learned to drive a manual transmission I refuse to own another automatic.
Oct 18, 2010
456 posts
37 upvotes
c_snapper wrote: if the class costs more than 1000, buy a $1000 car with a manual tranny. learn on it for a week or 2 and sell it....
I think this is the best bet overall even if the training is as little as $500

you will get much more value per hour out of this option and can hopefully recoup the cost of the vehicle.

this car would be perfect to learn on but who knows what it could cost to certify?

If you have it bought and sold within 36 days though, the car would be easier to sell and more likely to get your money back

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Civic/ ... rup=2_15_4

Anway good luck OP, once you truly master manual it is so much more engaging to be a driver.
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
No one uses my clutch but me.

F that.

:)
Feb 17, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
just google it: Shifters & StickGTA are the main ones in the Toronto area. A couple of people also offer it on kijiji, if you trust strangers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)