Real Estate

Standard Lease Agreement - renting out one room in my condo? (Ontario)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2018 8:03 pm
May 3, 2006
46 posts

Standard Lease Agreement - renting out one room in my condo? (Ontario)

Does anyone know if the Ontario Standard Lease agreement is needed if I am renting out 1 room of my condo?
I live in the other room in the Condo and I am the owner. The agreement sounds like it only applies when the whole unit is being rented out.

I am referring to this new standard agreement.

Many thanks in advance for RFD's guidance!
4 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11349 posts
Your unit wouldn’t fall under the RTA because you live in the unit, so I would guess you can use whatever document you want. Having said that, why wouldn’t you use the standard form, and modify it as allowed/required?

Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
7250 posts
Better to not have an agreement because then you can kick them out easier, RTA doesn't apply to them in this case anyway.
Jul 26, 2015
212 posts
Vancouver, BC
I would still get an agreement in writing, then make an addendum and do a sketch of the unit floor plan, clearly identify the area that the tenant will occupy and ask the tenant to sign off on this addendum as well. There are many litigations regarding the clarity of rental agreements when the property is shared, especially when there is only one kitchen for the landlord and the tenant to share.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
Based on the info you've stated, it would not fall under RTA.

This would be a private agreement between both individuals.

The only remedies in these cases would be small claims court if anything happens.

That being said, you can draft an agreement between you both, but it's not the same as an official lease agreement that the RTA would require.