Home & Garden

Standard practice to rekey lock on Condo for each new renter?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 1:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2020
4 posts
Toronto

Standard practice to rekey lock on Condo for each new renter?

What is the standard practice when renting out a condo unit to each new renter (Toronto)? Is the expectation that the lock is rekeyed every time? Is it the law?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5935 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
keesio wrote: What is the standard practice when renting out a condo unit to each new renter (Toronto)? Is the expectation that the lock is rekeyed every time? Is it the law?
There is no standard practices. There is not any specific expectation that the lock be rekeyed. The condo corporation may have bylaws related to this. Or they may not.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
[OP]
Apr 5, 2020
4 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the reply. I checked the condo rules and there is no specific information regarding this other than the usual requirement that if we want the lock rekeyed, it has to go through property management.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13877 posts
8943 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Property management owns the lock / door.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5644 posts
2468 upvotes
Toronto
I've never heard of this being a standard practice. I never even thought about it when I was a renter.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4308 posts
3743 upvotes
Toronto
keesio wrote: Thanks for the reply. I checked the condo rules and there is no specific information regarding this other than the usual requirement that if we want the lock rekeyed, it has to go through property management.
Yes, property management has to be able to access every unit in case of emergency, plus your door (and the lock) is part of the condo's common elements, so you have to go through them to rekey it.

When owners or renters change, there is no legal requirement to re-key locks. This is for all property types, not just condos.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2020
4 posts
Toronto
Thanks to everyone for all the info/feedback!