Automotive

Standard Safety Certificate/Inspection

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 1:19 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
5 posts

Standard Safety Certificate/Inspection

So I just bought a used car and the seller sold to me as FIT but since we were both new the buying and selling used cars we forgot about the Standard Safety Certificate/Inspection, and we already completed the bill of sale and everything so my question is in order to get the car registered and put plates on it I need that certificate and since the deal has already been completed is there anyway for me to get it such as a temporary permit/plate (to drive the car to the auto shop) without having the car towed to an auto shop to get it tested then towed back as that would cost around $300.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20447 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yes, in ON you can buy a 10day temp sticker to drive the vehicle legally to get it safetied.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
vkizzle wrote: Yes, in ON you can buy a 10day temp sticker to drive the vehicle legally to get it safetied.
yes so long as it was previously registered as "fit"...if it was unplated ..you wont get temps
May 21, 2018
507 posts
444 upvotes
basedgod1212 wrote: So I just bought a used car and the seller sold to me as FIT but since we were both new the buying and selling used cars we forgot about the Standard Safety Certificate/Inspection, and we already completed the bill of sale and everything so my question is in order to get the car registered and put plates on it I need that certificate and since the deal has already been completed is there anyway for me to get it such as a temporary permit/plate (to drive the car to the auto shop) without having the car towed to an auto shop to get it tested then towed back as that would cost around $300.
When you register the care under your name at the MTO, they will give you a temporary 10-day sticker. This will allow you to drive the vehicle to a shop to get the work done to get the safety certificate. Then you go back to the MTO and show them the paper work and they will issue you a sticker for a year or two, depending on what you want.

The ownership from the previous owner must say that car is FIT, otherwise MTO won't issue you a temp sticker.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Mar 22, 2004
477 posts
259 upvotes
London, ON
cardguy wrote: yes so long as it was previously registered as "fit"...if it was unplated ..you wont get temps
Unplated? Aren't the plates the responsibility of the seller to keep?
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
ncnmra wrote: Unplated? Aren't the plates the responsibility of the seller to keep?
you can transfer "unfit" meaning no safety for the purpose of ownership change..as on a parts car ..or a car that has been sitting for a few years..but the only way to a temp is if the car was already "fit" meaning on the road and licensed currently
Mar 22, 2004
477 posts
259 upvotes
London, ON
cardguy wrote: you can transfer "unfit" meaning no safety for the purpose of ownership change..as on a parts car ..or a car that has been sitting for a few years..but the only way to a temp is if the car was already "fit" meaning on the road and licensed currently
Aren't the car being "fit" and being licensed two separate things entirely? Cars that sit on used car dealer lots are fit, but aren't licensed.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
ncnmra wrote: Aren't the car being "fit" and being licensed two separate things entirely? Cars that sit on used car dealer lots are fit, but aren't licensed.
depends on their(cars) own history....i don't make the rules..just informing you of what i have had in my experience.
Mar 22, 2004
477 posts
259 upvotes
London, ON
cardguy wrote: depends on their(cars) own history....i don't make the rules..just informing you of what i have had in my experience.
I wasn't arguing, was just curious. I did come across some additional forum posts which somewhat confirmed what you were saying. Certainly the car needs to be "fit" to get a T sticker, however what causes it to become "unfit" wasn't clear. If the car registration expires, does it automatically become "unfit"?

I guess your original comment threw me. "Unplated" to me means that the plates were taken off. That doesn't mean necessarily mean that it is "unfit".
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
ncnmra wrote: I wasn't arguing, was just curious. I did come across some additional forum posts which somewhat confirmed what you were saying. Certainly the car needs to be "fit" to get a T sticker, however what causes it to become "unfit" wasn't clear. If the car registration expires, does it automatically become "unfit"?

I guess your original comment threw me. "Unplated" to me means that the plates were taken off. That doesn't mean necessarily mean that it is "unfit".
if the car wasn't licensed when being transferred is what deems it unfit or unplated, I believe
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2045 posts
1292 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
FYI to all, the information posted by @vkizzle and @cardguy is correct for the most part and probably applicable to @basedgod1212 as it would appear this a a first time purchase for the OP and the OP probably had no previously registered vehicle. For others that previously owned a vehicle, where the registration/plates are still valid, they just no longer have the vehicle then they can transfer that registration to the new purchase doing so within 6 days. They can use those plates for that 6 days in order to drive to a shop and obtain a safety certificate.

As to whether or not the vehicle is FIT falls onto the new purchaser if they are stopped and fail a roadside equipment check. This is in Ontario:

Temporary use of plates

(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
Idem

(4) Despite section 7 and clauses 12 (1) (d) and (e), a person may drive a motor vehicle or draw a trailer on a highway within six days after becoming the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer where the person complies with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (4).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Oct 1, 2015
791 posts
960 upvotes
Barrie, ON
You bought a used car without the used car buyers package from MTO?