• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 1:38 am
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1987 posts
578 upvotes
Ottawa
CHINAdeals wrote: Mine shipped in a week. Faster than I expected to be honest.

Curious, what are people using for tabletops?

I'm using an Ikea Karlby at moment. Just gonna use it for these legs as well.
Will probably change it in the future. I have a couple of dents on my desk from dropping things.
It looks nice, but it's nowhere as durable as solid wood.

-

Has anyone received a refund from Motiongrey? I cancelled my original 2 segment over two weeks ago and haven't received anything yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8779 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Vietlord wrote: I'm using an Ikea Karlby at moment. Just gonna use it for these legs as well.
Will probably change it in the future. I have a couple of dents on my desk from dropping things.
It looks nice, but it's nowhere as durable as solid wood.

-

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at the Karlby as well too. Did you get the 74 or 98 width? The one with the walnut veneer?

Noted about the 'softness' of the wood. Let's see how that works out.
Oct 20, 2010
372 posts
344 upvotes
In a conversation with some colleagues today, it occurred to me to ask here. Did MotionGrey (Alex) report this privacy breach? All breaches must be reported in Canada.
May 10, 2002
292 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Received 3 segment today from motiongrey, ordered not long ago, quick. Box had been opened for some reason but no sign of it being used.

Standby power is 0.6W, very good. Power in motion is ~150W.
The controller and power supply inside look reasonable quality, they are two modules.

Few minor issues, the screws that come with the control box are too wide and can't be fully screwed in. They still work OK though if you are careful.
Also, instructions mention "S" key, which this doesn't have, to store a maximum height. I tried hold M key and 2, then press M again, didn't seem to work. Holding M and 3 changes the units from cm to inches.
Max and min height would be useful to avoid it crashing into something.
Mar 11, 2002
788 posts
193 upvotes
ArunscapeP26369 wrote: Skimmed the thread since I'm also looking for a desk. I think my plan is to wait for the primecables dual motor frame to go on sale for $250, then find some wood top.

Any recommendations for a hard solid wood top? I missed out on the $99 acacia deal at lowes. Looking for something around 6 x 2.5 ft, willing to spend $100-$200.

Edit: any recommendations for live edge slabs? Willing to pay a bit more if it's really nice
I expect to be done with sanding/staining the Acacia top from Lowes in the next couple of days ($89 with coupon) at $90 it's worth at the regular $150 I would pass, I would check something like a Windsor Plywood for some of their exotic unfinished pieces and see if you can get someone to put it through a planer.

So far I sanded front/back with 80grit to get the original oil/stain off. I have also routed the edge with a 1/4" Roundover (first time using a router, "decent" enough attempt to soften the top edge. Tomorrow's plan is to drill the grommet holes (maybe) but more likely to "plan" where I want grommets and to test the stain on the "B" Side. My plan is to go dark walnut on this. but probably need to go up to 220 grit and raise the grain before staining. I have pictures as I go along and will update once it is further along.
Oct 20, 2010
372 posts
344 upvotes
thomas997 wrote: Received 3 segment today from motiongrey, ordered not long ago, quick. Box had been opened for some reason but no sign of it being used.

Standby power is 0.6W, very good. Power in motion is ~150W.
The controller and power supply inside look reasonable quality, they are two modules.

Few minor issues, the screws that come with the control box are too wide and can't be fully screwed in. They still work OK though if you are careful.
Also, instructions mention "S" key, which this doesn't have, to store a maximum height. I tried hold M key and 2, then press M again, didn't seem to work. Holding M and 3 changes the units from cm to inches.
Max and min height would be useful to avoid it crashing into something.
These sound like some pretty serious quality issues....
Jun 5, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
I went with them (Candesk) back in April where they had the $499+ tax surprise promotion. Desk has been working well (wider part of the 3 stage leg is on the top). It took a couple days to finalize the order and pick up in person but I appreciated the in person pick up option for GTA (so no shipping costs or potential delays). They also were willing to accommodate a desktop size request even though it was through the special surprise sale (ymmv). It looks like the promotion may now have a higher price point. I have not had any issue thus far, and hopefully will not have issues, so I cannot comment on their warranty program/service. All in all I am pleased with the product and service for the price I paid.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5260 posts
659 upvotes
clboy wrote: I have buyer's remorse with my Lowe's Acacia. Kinda wished I got a slab of walnut or something else (saw some amazing hardwood DIY Tops on Youtube, but no jointer or planer) I have the original oil sanded off, just dropped another $200 on a Router/bits so I can have a rounded edge, I really hope it'll look amazing when I am done (novice sawdust maker here :) ) And am undecided as to how I'll stain/oil/finish it. The nice thing about these desks is that you can change the top in the future as your needs/taste change :)
The price of walnut is not cheap regardless of whether you DIY or actually buy a tabletop outright from a woodworker. I've been looking/asking around for quotes and the price of the tabletop will be significantly more than the stand itself. Obviously dependent on size, but even if you get cheap hardwood that's not dressed (and have no tools) for DIY, you'll need to pay for shop time, adding to the total cost.

For sure the route of Lowe/HD/Rona countertop will be significantly cheaper, especially if you decide to stain hardwood.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3515 posts
1048 upvotes
Put together my business 3 segment from effydesk today. Table top from them as well

Pretty impressed with build quality and seems very sturdy even at high settings
Images
  • EEFA4FFC-5B5E-4AB6-8427-1D69A5A06A52.jpeg
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48071 posts
5476 upvotes
Toronto
rinse wrote: Put together my business 3 segment from effydesk today. Table top from them as well

All that's left is to upgrade that chair to a Herman Miller Aeron or Embody :)
Dec 7, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
Brampton
Looking at the autonomous smartdesk 2, seen people having issues with scratches appearing after a few days. Anyone expriencing this or is it related to only certain colors of tops they provide?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4852 posts
914 upvotes
Montreal
rinse wrote: Put together my business 3 segment from effydesk today. Table top from them as well

How long did it take it for them to ship it to you?
Sep 9, 2004
484 posts
50 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: Wasn't able to buy the top from IKEA (ridiculous lineups and no way to buy online for pickup). Bought this one from HomeDepot: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/home-d ... ?rrec=true
Does anyone know if there is a diff with 1" thickness vs 1.5"?

I'm planning on using a dual monitor clamp....
If it helps, the Fully Jarvis desk only comes with a 1" thick desktop. I was also leaning towards a 1.5" (thicker tends to feel more sturdy / of higher quality) but I'm sure 1" is sufficient.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)