• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 8:16 pm
Jan 19, 2008
49 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone used any of these standing desks (i.e., Motion Grey) on carpet? Are they sturdy?
Avid thrift-er
Apr 22, 2020
168 posts
170 upvotes
Alberta
digodoom197 wrote: Ordered the Autonomous desk back in July. Works just fine. They've updated their home model to have dual motors, making it pretty much the same in functionality as the office model. The only difference is that the minimum height with a 1.5" tabletop is a little bit tall. Luckily, my chair raises higher than the average office chair, so everything works just fine. Honestly, there's so little difference in all of these standing desks. It's literally just steel legs with a motor driving a track up and down. There's not much difference in design. If you're a tall person, then you'll be more concerned about how much wobble you get at standing height. At max height, there isn't a significant amount of wobble enough to make the space unworkable, however, I would advise getting proper monitor mounts to mitigate monitor wobble. My stock lenovo monitor stand was already wobbly to begin with, even before getting a standing desk. Meanwhile, my stock Samsung and Dell monitor stands are solid, even at max height.
+1 -- I pulled the trigger on the SmartDesk v2 last month and couldn't be happier. I opted for a white oak + grey frame look, it took about 3 weeks to arrive since it was a custom order, but it looks stunning. I got it for $404 (pre-tax) which in my opinion is a great deal for a quality standup desk (table top included). I have a gaming PC, 34" ultrawide on a monitor arm, work laptop and don't have any issues with wobble/sturdiness. I tend to stand the desk up about 2-3times a day. Looks like they are still going for that price if applying the coupon code "Azure".
Images
  • desk.PNG
Aug 22, 2017
74 posts
26 upvotes
Lemonsquash wrote: +1 -- I pulled the trigger on the SmartDesk v2 last month and couldn't be happier. I opted for a white oak + grey frame look, it took about 3 weeks to arrive since it was a custom order, but it looks stunning. I got it for $404 (pre-tax) which in my opinion is a great deal for a quality standup desk (table top included). I have a gaming PC, 34" ultrawide on a monitor arm, work laptop and don't have any issues with wobble/sturdiness. I tend to stand the desk up about 2-3times a day. Looks like they are still going for that price if applying the coupon code "Azure".

They show Estimated shipping by Dec 21, 2020. I would like something around Nov time frame.
Dec 25, 2019
56 posts
12 upvotes
Steeles, ON
grilw wrote: Are you in the gta?
I'm in GTA, looking for a standing desk. Prefer one that can go lower than 28", I see the primecables can go down to 24".

Do you have a insight into where to get one?
Jun 16, 2009
19 posts
7 upvotes
yojowo wrote: I'm in GTA, looking for a standing desk. Prefer one that can go lower than 28", I see the primecables can go down to 24".

Do you have a insight into where to get one?
I'm in a similar boat looking for something that can go lower than 28", which is too high for me when sitting. I just started my research, but so far I found the MotionGrey one can go as down to 24". Interested see if there are other suggestions!
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1722 posts
172 upvotes
quicksilver_ wrote: I'm in a similar boat looking for something that can go lower than 28", which is too high for me when sitting. I just started my research, but so far I found the MotionGrey one can go as down to 24". Interested see if there are other suggestions!
I'm 6' with long legs and I'm using a fixed desk at 28.75" and that is a little high for me. I can imagine that this could become a real issue with people.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3264 posts
130 upvotes
Was thinking about pulling the trigger on SmartDesk v2 but with black Friday coming what are the chances of a sale? My gut says not likely because they are already back ordered to Dec. Thoughts?
Aug 22, 2017
74 posts
26 upvotes
rilhouse wrote: Was thinking about pulling the trigger on SmartDesk v2 but with black Friday coming what are the chances of a sale? My gut says not likely because they are already back ordered to Dec. Thoughts?
Yup same thoughts , might end up getting the Bamboo top one if there is good discount
Mar 23, 2013
96 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Just bought the Smartdesk DIY to use with the Lowe's top.

Code Azure still works and its on sale.

SmartDesk DIY Kit $365 all in (w/ tax and free shipping).
Feb 22, 2015
37 posts
3 upvotes
Nepean, ON
techtrader wrote: Just bought the Smartdesk DIY to use with the Lowe's top.

Code Azure still works and its on sale.

SmartDesk DIY Kit $365 all in (w/ tax and free shipping).
Which Lowes top?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1851 posts
418 upvotes
I currently have a tabletop that is 0.75". Is this thick enough for some of these standing desks? I was looking at the Prime Cable one but the screws might be 20mm long. Anybody else work with a thinner tabletop?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)