• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 4:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
309 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver

The Stank Bin (Diaper Pail)

The internet is pretty mixed with all sorts of conflicting reviews. Diaper Genie, Ubbi, Dekor, all sorts having pros and cons. Some say Ubbi has no smell, other say plenty of smell.

What do you guys have? My wife has an extremely sensitive sense of smell, so stopping odour is the priority for us. Munchkin and all its Arm and Hammer baking powder is probably the best, but looking for options that are less pricey and don't need their refill cartridges (I'm aware of the hacks).

One other that seems to be good with odour is this: [...]
But there's barely any reviews or videos on it, and I'm concerned that the bucket part ends up getting stinky soon enough.
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 18th, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: repost with clean link, yours had a non-RFD affiliate tag
32 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2893 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa
I lived in an apartment for first and house for second. In both cases put number 2 immediately in garbage shoot or outside and much better than trying to trap it for days in some weird contraption. Nothing can contain the smell from what I have seen. It seems counterintuitive but cloth diapers also much better for odour. I guess you'd have to wash them but that seems fair. The bucket itself is fine.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
Basically theyre are different versions of the Diper Genie, all do the same thing, store poopie dipers until its garbage day. i had one for my kids growing up, we only used it for poopie dipers as the pee pee dipers do not stink and can be thrown in the garbage as usual

Its a good investment, but the only problem I had was not with the Actual Diper Genie but a user error, often the bags wound run out and my wife would empty it and toss the bag in the trash but be too lazy to go get a replacement refill Diper bag and install it, so the next time we would need to toss a poopie diper in the genie, there would be no bag to catch it and it would make one hell of a stinking mess all over the place, also dont forget to change the carbon filter under the lid, that helps to remove oders too
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4027 posts
584 upvotes
Pickering, ON
We used a Diaper Genie for our first, and it was fine in that we didn't notice any "leaking" odours (my wife also has a strong sense of smell). We never even changed that carbon filter that it comes with. But changing the bag was pretty gross with so many poop diapers in there.

Second kid, we didn't bother using it, just threw the diaper into the garbage in the garage.
Jul 27, 2009
85 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We use lightly scented doggie bags from Costco, just throw it in and tie it up. Can stay in the house with no smell
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1239 posts
706 upvotes
Ripley
I did home childcare for 15 years. Flush the lumps. Put the diaper in your kitchen garbage and change it before you go to bed.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
am I the only one who has a wife who when the bag runs out never replaces it and you go one day to toss in a dirty diper and once its too late you realize no bag and it splatters all over inside
Hi
Feb 13, 2004
861 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver
Friend of ours recommended the UBBI and said no smell from it. Will find out once we get ours as my wife also has a very sensitive nose. Just so dam expensive.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
309 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like maybe it's not so necessary. We don't live in an apartment, but we do want to collect the diapers in a container that won't stink without stinking up the trash bin.

I might try the doggie bag idea and just seal each one to throw out. I'll look at my options because diaper pails are pretty expensive.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
in my onest opinion i have had ZERO odour issues with the stank bin diper pail as u call it, or diper genie as I call it. its pretty clean smelling, as long as ur wife does not forget to install the new bag when the old one runs out, otherwise you will need to clean all the splatter from the inside like I had to do a few times, and that really stinks, literally.
Hi
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1401 posts
622 upvotes
If your wife is really that sensitive, get a box of dog poop bags, and individually wrap and toss the diaper asap. Leaving poop diapers will eventually smell one way or another.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
ziaa wrote: If your wife is really that sensitive, get a box of dog poop bags, and individually wrap and toss the diaper asap. Leaving poop diapers will eventually smell one way or another.
I never said she was sensitive, she is just lazy. when the bag is full and it gets emptied, she does not replace it, and sometimes im working 12 hrs so i dont get to replace it, so when she puts new dipers in there, theres no bag to "catch" em and the poop splatters all inside the diper pail / diper genie /stank bin / what ever u wanna call it
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4690 posts
1198 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We had a diaper genie for first born a few years ago. After the refills ran out, I just switched to Glad's compost bags.

For our 2nd, his poops stank so much more, so I switched the bags to the febreeze version, and that helped a lot.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1401 posts
622 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: I never said she was sensitive, she is just lazy. when the bag is full and it gets emptied, she does not replace it, and sometimes im working 12 hrs so i dont get to replace it, so when she puts new dipers in there, theres no bag to "catch" em and the poop splatters all inside the diper pail / diper genie /stank bin / what ever u wanna call it
I was referring to the OP, not yourself. sorry for the confusion.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2006 posts
1790 upvotes
Ottawa
We use cloth diapers with our almost 3 year old.

We have a wet bag hanging on the wall next to the toilet. As long as we spray off poop from the diapers and leave the bag open so that there's air flow, we don't get any smell.

We wash diapers every 5 days, so they sit there soiled for up to 5 days at a time with no issues in 3 years.
Jul 27, 2009
85 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GoodFellaz wrote: I never said she was sensitive, she is just lazy. when the bag is full and it gets emptied, she does not replace it, and sometimes im working 12 hrs so i dont get to replace it, so when she puts new dipers in there, theres no bag to "catch" em and the poop splatters all inside the diper pail / diper genie /stank bin / what ever u wanna call it
If she's not lazy, she's grossly negligent and inconsiderate. You're working around the clock and she can't spent 30 seconds for some courtesy.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
Cupcake09 wrote: If she's not lazy, she's grossly negligent and inconsiderate. You're working around the clock and she can't spent 30 seconds for some courtesy.
Welcome to marriage. you never win man. i have more stories to share but theyre not parenting related
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2993 posts
4946 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I never understood why parents nowadays need to have all sorts of contraptions to raise a kid. Diaper Genie and what not never existed when I was a kid (millennial here). What did people do with the diapers then that they can't now???
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10442 posts
4550 upvotes
stovetop wrote: I never understood why parents nowadays need to have all sorts of contraptions to raise a kid. Diaper Genie and what not never existed when I was a kid (millennial here). What did people do with the diapers then that they can't now???
That's true, we went backwards with the 2nd boy. Had the diaper genie for the 1st boy, and it was more hastle than it was worth. It always seem to be a contest to see how much you could fit into it, and often times that "extra space" you fit the last 3 or4 into were a result of spliting the bag! LOL.

With the 2nd one, we just tossed pee diapers into the inside trash, and poop diapers into the garage bit. IF they were bad, we wrapped them in a grocery bag first. Get a good thick garbage bag, and you will be fine. just keep a lid on it.
Apr 24, 2017
129 posts
46 upvotes
vancouver
We debated on the diaper genie, but ended up using a stainless steel garbage can from Ikea. we'd have probably 1-2 days worth of diapers in it. Once full, toss it in the main garbage bin.

Once we got passed potty training, I power washed it, and let it bake in the sun. It smell free and good as new. Currently sitting in my office as my garbage bin