Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] $180 - ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router

Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 17, 2011
1561 posts
1354 upvotes
Toronto
no8t4 wrote: Thanks again. Just one last question as I tried to ask Google and couldn't find an answer. Is there such a thing as max devices connected to WiFi? And if so, would this help the situation?

I easily could have like 25 devices connected.

I just want to be sure this would solve my main problems and have all the extras as perks.
Great question, I'm not so sure to be honest. I've never had that be an issue for me
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1963 posts
141 upvotes
no8t4 wrote: Thanks again. Just one last question as I tried to ask Google and couldn't find an answer. Is there such a thing as max devices connected to WiFi? And if so, would this help the situation?

I easily could have like 25 devices connected.

I just want to be sure this would solve my main problems and have all the extras as perks.
In general with basic setup, theoretical max is approx 254.or so..
When u set up the Lan ip.. E.g 192.168.1.1... You can use 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 19, 2007
571 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
ElvaSoShexai wrote: In general with basic setup, theoretical max is approx 254.or so..
When u set up the Lan ip.. E.g 192.168.1.1... You can use 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255
I should have known this, but questioned myself because I'm at a loss to why my devices keep dropping even if it's in the same room as the Rogers router. Thanks for this info.

So, pretty much to sum up is that the ISP hardware is generally bad or go bad easily. Because I've had this issue for like 6 months and have had the unit for about 12..
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1963 posts
141 upvotes
no8t4 wrote: I should have known this, but questioned myself because I'm at a loss to why my devices keep dropping even if it's in the same room as the Rogers router. Thanks for this info.

So, pretty much to sum up is that the ISP hardware is generally bad or go bad easily. Because I've had this issue for like 6 months and have had the unit for about 12..
Generally yes. But it could also be defective. Same thing could happen with this router if they run on 2.4g and if you saw the posts about 2.4 band dieing

This can also be run in aimesh using another Asus router that supports aimesh. I think you can even use non Asus routers to setup mesh but haven't tried.

There is also the more traditional repeater/access point if u need it. From using aimesh in my own house.. It's definitely faster than traditional repeater which loses like 50% speed... But even with mesh you still lose speed if the satellites are connected wirelessly. For me it was <10%
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14271 posts
2318 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ElvaSoShexai wrote: In general with basic setup, theoretical max is approx 254.or so..
When u set up the Lan ip.. E.g 192.168.1.1... You can use 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255
Use 10.0.0.x and go even higher!
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10827 posts
2749 upvotes
Scarberia
guys: i develop a kindof annoying bug or error...sometimes my internet wired to pc doesn't work and i have to reboot it to get chrome and all my tabs to have internet again...the icons are there but it just 'spins' and has blank pages...wifi works during this time...weird and kinda annoying


anyone got this issues? wired no internet issue!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10827 posts
2749 upvotes
Scarberia
ElvaSoShexai wrote: Generally yes. But it could also be defective. Same thing could happen with this router if they run on 2.4g and if you saw the posts about 2.4 band dieing

This can also be run in aimesh using another Asus router that supports aimesh. I think you can even use non Asus routers to setup mesh but haven't tried.

There is also the more traditional repeater/access point if u need it. From using aimesh in my own house.. It's definitely faster than traditional repeater which loses like 50% speed... But even with mesh you still lose speed if the satellites are connected wirelessly. For me it was <10%
whats ur setup? u only get a 10% loss in wifi speeds with aiMEsh NOT wired backhaul? thats great, i thought wireless = 50% loss for sure
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14271 posts
2318 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
mikka2017 wrote: whats ur setup? u only get a 10% loss in wifi speeds with aiMEsh NOT wired backhaul? thats great, i thought wireless = 50% loss for sure
Not if dedicated channel is being leveraged and connection is strong between nodes. Hence triband node setup is amazing for most households. Better than independently managed APs.
Last edited by weedb0y on May 28th, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Feb 15, 2011
27 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
h3nry8888 wrote: No Wi-Fi issues yet? lol This is making me nervous.
No issues at all as of 3rd week.
Honestly, I had so many issues (2.4Ghz disappearing, wifi completely gone while signals there, etc. - all solved by rebooting) with Rogers CODA modem/router combo every 2-3 days.
I'm so much happier with AC86
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 26, 2010
1030 posts
443 upvotes
Markham
ElvaSoShexai wrote: In general with basic setup, theoretical max is approx 254.or so..
When u set up the Lan ip.. E.g 192.168.1.1... You can use 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255
weedb0y wrote: Use 10.0.0.x and go even higher!
That's not how it works. You are still left with a 254 ip range limit.

You will need to change the subnet to extend it. In general, the network bit is set as /24, or subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
192.168.1.1/24 will allow the range of (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254)
192.168.1.1/23 will allow the range of (192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254)
192.168.1.1/22 will allow the range of (192.168.0.1 - 192.168.3.254)

etc.
https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14271 posts
2318 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Expliciate wrote: That's not how it works. You are still left with a 254 ip range limit.

You will need to change the subnet to extend it. In general, the network bit is set as /24, or subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
192.168.1.1/24 will allow the range of (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254)
192.168.1.1/23 will allow the range of (192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254)
192.168.1.1/22 will allow the range of (192.168.0.1 - 192.168.3.254)

etc.
https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html?
Sorry I meant x.x maxing out at, /22

If your network is simple, then you probably need a /22 which hold 1022 hosts.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1288 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
juniorkid wrote: I have a 5 year old Netgear R7000 AC router with 18 devices in total and it *almost* covers my whole house (1200 sq. feet - but it's 120 yrs old with lathe and plaster and thousands of nails!).

Is this router worth it? I'm also eyeing the WiFi6 routers, but not sure it's worth the extra cost yet since I have zero devices with WiFi6. My home Internet is Fido 150Mbp/10Mbps, although lately, it's been going down more often. Never had to reboot my modem and router so much!
I have a similar house and the rt-ac86u improved my coverage but I was coming from the Fido modem and also tried a old version 66u. The R7000 should be similar to the 86u and can run Asus merlin firmware, that might be worth trying before you spend any $$
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
145 posts
68 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: U won't be disappointed... This router is a best beast.. Ive had dlinks too... Not even close... I'm basing on 5ghz Wi-Fi.. Not sure on 2ghz yet
How's your experience with this the last few days? Any good still?
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10827 posts
2749 upvotes
Scarberia
kevinc999 wrote:
How's your experience with this the last few days? Any good still?
Issues with my wired pc win 10 NOT getting internet connection while at same time the wifi is working OK... Kinda stumped. Restart computer usually works getting back internet. I'll try to disable Qos

2.4gbz Wi-Fi working good... Getting 3 bars outside backyard
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Top