Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

$180 - ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router

Apr 2, 2019
26 posts
12 upvotes
Anyone have a 15$ code? I am planning to buy this as the Rogers Router literally giving weak signals
Nov 13, 2019
34 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
serc wrote: Still debating if I should upgrade from my Netgear R7000 that I've had for 5 or so years. Had to reboot the r7000 once a month or so in the early years but has been pretty rock solid since, I do all the latest firmware upgrades using the Netgear firmware. All my PC's and consoles are hard wired in, only my alarm, cameras and music streaming devices are on wifi. Guessing the only real benefit is higher bandwidth on wifi and possibly better coverage.
I’m in the exact same boat as you, except all my devices are wireless. I seem to be rebooting the R7000 more frequently now, maybe once every 3 weeks, due to either extreme decrease in speeds or disconnecting of devices on either spectrum. This Asus router is going to be my trial and see if it improves my bad with/speed/connection issues at all.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
whats the advantage of using OPEN vpn on this router (ie vpn unlimited, keepsolid), as opposed to using the app

tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2036 posts
934 upvotes
Calgary
mikka2017 wrote: whats the advantage of using OPEN vpn on this router (ie vpn unlimited, keepsolid), as opposed to using the app

tia
All your devices will be behind the VPN instead of just the one using the app.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Deemo wrote: All your devices will be behind the VPN instead of just the one using the app.
does the openVPN setting allow only certain apps or devices to use the VPN? i dont want all apps to use vpn lol. thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote: does the openVPN setting allow only certain apps or devices to use the VPN? i dont want all apps to use vpn lol. thx
Yes, you can specify which devices go through the VPN.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
audit13 wrote: Yes, you can specify which devices go through the VPN.
I can use stock and open VPN client right... No merlin needed? Tia
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote: I can use stock and open VPN client right... No merlin needed? Tia
I believe so. I have always run Merlin.

Depending on the VPN provider, sending too many devices through the VPN can really degrade the download speed.

The Merlin firmware won't be very different from the stock firmware (functions, UI, etc.). The 86u has an encrypted bootloader and is the reason for no DD-WRT or OpenWRT for this model.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
How fast will I know the 2.4ghz issue is present?

Can it take a while for the problem to develop or will I see it when I install it?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Bought one. 2019 built date. Sealed box on my table pending unpacking and installation.

The 2.4ghz issue is worrying me. Don't want an issue a month from now.

Currently have a 868L which works well. Hoping for better speed and coverage. Not ready to trade for something worse with a 2.4ghz issue.

Might return it or may keep it. Thinking, thinking .. I need convincing.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Poulet wrote: Bought one. 2019 built date. Sealed box on my table pending unpacking and installation.

The 2.4ghz issue is worrying me. Don't want an issue a month from now.

Currently have a 868L which works well. Hoping for better speed and coverage. Not ready to trade for something worse with a 2.4ghz issue.

Might return it or may keep it. Thinking, thinking .. I need convincing.
U got 30days to try it. Still return it full refund I think... Then double warranty thru cc. YMMV
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2036 posts
934 upvotes
Calgary
mikka2017 wrote: I can use stock and open VPN client right... No merlin needed? Tia
I have configured Express VPN in the past.
You need a profile for each server.
Helpful when something like my amp needs to look like it is in the US for streaming.
Can't run an app on it.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Deemo wrote: I have configured Express VPN in the past.
You need a profile for each server.
Helpful when something like my amp needs to look like it is in the US for streaming.
Can't run an app on it.
prolly too much hassle to setup each server/each app...its just quicker to use the app on the device i plan to have vpn on...i rarely use vpn anyways lol..so slow the speeds!
Nov 24, 2006
821 posts
209 upvotes
tradinghumble wrote: Why would anyone buy this router over something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Deco-Whol ... 83KDWYX6RT

I own a 3 storey home.
Routers like the Asus one here are meant more for the prosumer level. Here are just some of extra features you get just from Asus' standard firmware (when compared against a typical lower end router or those modem/router combo units from an ISP):

VPN client
VPN server (with built-in DDNS support for easy access. Asus even provides a free DDNS service)
AiCloud personal cloud service
3G/4G data sharing
File Server (attach a cheap disk array or USB drive and you've got yourself a simple NAS)
etc.

Then there are 3rd party firmwares like Merlin/DD-WRT, which gives you even more advanced options:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features

Not to mention you can run your own scripts on the router for even deeper customizations like VLAN etc.

If you're purely looking at increasing coverage and don't care for any of the additional features, a mesh system is probably better for you. A network with multiple strategically placed mesh nodes will typically provide better coverage than a single router. Speed/throughput could be another matter though since you'd need to look at other things like protocols, # of spatial streams, modulations, backhaul, # of concurrent clients supported etc.

The bonus is these Asus routers also support AiMesh so you can expand the network if you need more coverage, and still have the extra features.
Last edited by kuri on May 24th, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
DD-WRT can't run on this router due to its encrypted bootloader.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
Passed up unit number 7, still sitting at a happy half dozen.

Ran into 2 different huffing and puffing lady managers, well meaning individuals drained by COVID-19 preparedness and not looking to accommodate beyond standard fare.

I'm at my indifference point, six units are covering my needs quite well.

Be kind to your customer service agents, gents.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
May 29, 2005
766 posts
302 upvotes
Nepean
mikka2017 wrote: does the openVPN setting allow only certain apps or devices to use the VPN? i dont want all apps to use vpn lol. thx
I think if you use Merlin you can set a different vpn for each guest network.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Poulet wrote: How fast will I know the 2.4ghz issue is present?

Can it take a while for the problem to develop or will I see it when I install it?
the problem is intermittent and sometimes doesn't show up right away

when it does happen, the light for the 2.4 ghz band will often go off on the outside of the unit, and if you go into the admin portal, you will usually see "Channel 0" under 2.4G in the upper-right corner of the screen if you hover your mouse over the wifi icon
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
273 posts
112 upvotes
Anyone have any tips on how to set it up? Download any fireware on it? Tia

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)