Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

2018 Acer Chromebook 11, 4/16GB, IPS, Google Play - $189.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2018 2:06 am
May 11, 2011
693 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Can it run Andriod APPs?
Life is a play. Everyone deserves an Oscar.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1518 posts
703 upvotes
Victoria
So many 11" CBs. Daughter is after something larger. I see a couple 15s, and less 14s, where I think 14 is perfect size... Just not sure what's the sweet spot for the deal with regards to brand/ram/size/touch/price.
Oct 15, 2017
630 posts
436 upvotes
Canada
MikeyCanuck wrote: So many 11" CBs. Daughter is after something larger. I see a couple 15s, and less 14s, where I think 14 is perfect size... Just not sure what's the sweet spot for the deal with regards to brand/ram/size/touch/price.
Check this Acer 14” Chromebook at Costco.

Costco Acer Chromebook 14” FHD, non-touch $309.99...

Similar to the refurb that minski posted above, in the first of his three links.
Last edited by dsweetlou on Nov 23rd, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
andreid wrote: On the contrary, for simple browsing use and light Word Chromebooks are fantastic. Don't buy those emasculated Windows ones (Windows S, 64GB, etc).
Agreed
Mar 5, 2011
223 posts
217 upvotes
minski wrote: For anyone looking for a laptop to use for web - CB is great. If you travel or commute longer, CBs usually don't have the cooling fan (my CB is ultra quiet) and last on one charge for 8-12 hours which is very good. If you tend to work remotely for your firm and connect to their infrastructure by Citrix, CB is the best thing you could use as the "access terminal". RDP is still possible (you might need to pay for some RDP-compatibile app) but I didn't test it. For remote work Acer R13, Acer 14 are great with FHD resolution. Asus C302 as well but it's starting at $540+.
If you are more tech-y you probably already know teamviewer or remotedesktop from google, so you can use your CB as a portable terminal to connect you home or cloud server where you do the high-demand work like video editing (but you need to be online for this).
Couldn't have put it better myself. I actually do use a CB for remote desktop into the office. Our IT guys love them because of the minimal setup time, and the fact that if one gets lost/stolen, they're not as much of a security hazard since there should be very little of importance on the local drives. Remote wiping is as easy as a button press.

That said, RDP on a 11" 1366 screen is painful. Even on my Pixelbook, it's not as nice as using an external monitor. That said, in a pinch, they work great. Compared to native RDP on Windows, there's a noticeable slowdown but nothing crazy. I use the Chrome RDP app. I've tried the Microsoft Android app for RDP and while it's smoother, the scaling is so messed that I couldn't work with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2674 posts
972 upvotes
Montreal
I suppose if we use Microsoft Office, such as Excel, it can only be done as if we use Google Drive? If I can install Microsoft office like a regular windows computer, i'm buying it ASAP!
Mar 23, 2017
117 posts
86 upvotes
Tutonaguy
Yragorn wrote: I suppose if we use Microsoft Office, such as Excel, it can only be done as if we use Google Drive? If I can install Microsoft office like a regular windows computer, i'm buying it ASAP!
you can't install MS Office as a regular app, you can either use office web MS Word/Excel (open from https://live.com, you have to have an account and be online to edit docs) or you can install android app for these. Try the android app on your phone if you have one and you will see if this works for what you need.
If the CB supports Linux apps you can install Libre Office but it has some differences compared to the real MS Office.
Aug 8, 2009
668 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks OP. Got one for the parents.
If you head on over to the staples coupon megathread, there's a $10 off $200 coupon code generator. Have to find a filler though.
I used the Air Miles shop the block code though for 50AM.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3784 posts
2780 upvotes
Airdrie
My online order was cancelled early this morning due to lack of inventory. I found a local store that still had one in stock, ordered for store pickup, and then asked them to adjust the price when I picked it up. Daughter will be pleased at Christmas!
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Damn....missed out on this. Looking for an equivalent...
Koodo Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6019 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
This refurbished unit probably has similar but better hardware and poorer OS (Win10):
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=120108
Better: FullHD (1920x1080) touchscreen, more eMMC ("hard disk").

I have one, with a 4-core processor, that I bought from CC a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to Fedora 29 Linux. Very nice.

Due to deficiencies in the firmware ("BIOS"), installing Linux required a trick.

Few units available.
Dec 2, 2016
456 posts
637 upvotes
notcheapbutnotrich wrote: can i install word and other windows programs on this?
I doubt it unless it's a web-based version (if that exists). This would be ideal for google Docs and google's own (free) productivity suite (which I quite like). A windows PC would be better suited for the office suite.
Mar 10, 2005
288 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
I already have two Chromebook for my kids, one has touch screen. The low end version of Chromework is good for high school kids. It boots up very fast and has long battery live. They use Office web version from school and they can use Google Doc too. My kids even install some games from Google Play without my notice.

Google will install a newer version of the OS when it is available, no need to worry about Checks for Update.

I would say it is a good machine for normal web browsing, email, youtube...etc, not for something serious like photo editing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)