Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1564 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto

[Staples] 3rd gen chromecast selling for 29.99 with free shipping

As titled

Ultra selling for 60 https://www.staples.ca/products/2707794 ... ming-black

Bestbuy selling for same price but minimum shipping is 35.

I didnt check but I will assume the source will offer same deal but missing free shipping.
89 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1088 posts
609 upvotes
Good deal, but for those who have Netflix Google store has a deal with 6 months of free Netflix service, so that the new Google tv stick works out to be around $35.
Jul 20, 2016
307 posts
278 upvotes
Works out to $45 for the stick. $135 tax in for the deal and $90 Netflix credit. Im buying it now
Sep 28, 2015
714 posts
542 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
number17 wrote: Good deal, but for those who have Netflix Google store has a deal with 6 months of free Netflix service, so that the new Google tv stick works out to be around $35.
Chromecast with Google TV + 6 months of Netflix ($89.94 credit) = $119 plus tax

This is essentially an Android TV device and you can install apps.
Nov 26, 2015
838 posts
590 upvotes
Ontario
For those who only cast youtube and netflix, if you have a smart TV with those Apps; you do not need this. Via the App, you can cast directly to those devices.

WebOS for my LG TV has both, I can cast directly to the TV without the chromecast. (This TV does not advertise as having chromecast built in) My old sony non-smart TV. I connected a Roku to it (the cheap $30 one), I can cast to the roku for youtube and netflix.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1076 posts
217 upvotes
Markham
I am just curious. Why would anyone buy the Chromecast Ultra now that the Chromecast with Google TV is out? Does the Ultra still have any benefits?
Feb 13, 2019
25 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know that if I pay something on it, will other people on the same network be able to see what I am watching. This is what I don't like about my current Chromecast.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5165 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal, hoping Chromecast with Google TV goes on sale. I want the ability to install apps on the device.
Plan: Public Mobile - $46/month Unlimited NA Talk/Global Text/8.5GB
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1088 posts
609 upvotes
theastroboy wrote: I am just curious. Why would anyone buy the Chromecast Ultra now that the Chromecast with Google TV is out? Does the Ultra still have any benefits?
Not that I can think of...
Mar 22, 2004
724 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
Etabol wrote: For those who only cast youtube and netflix, if you have a smart TV with those Apps; you do not need this. Via the App, you can cast directly to those devices.

WebOS for my LG TV has both, I can cast directly to the TV without the chromecast. (This TV does not advertise as having chromecast built in) My old sony non-smart TV. I connected a Roku to it (the cheap $30 one), I can cast to the roku for youtube and netflix.
The one thing the LG TV on WebOS, it doesn't have Crave and Crave on your phone will not list your TV as something to cast to. You'll need a Chromecast just for Crave. Also, for some reason it's a hit or miss when I try to tell my Google Home to play whatever on the TV.
Jun 22, 2009
22 posts
18 upvotes
theastroboy wrote: I am just curious. Why would anyone buy the Chromecast Ultra now that the Chromecast with Google TV is out? Does the Ultra still have any benefits?
If you are playing Stadia then only Ultra support it at the moment.
Nov 13, 2018
591 posts
1370 upvotes
The Ultra is currently the only Chromecast that will run Google Stadia, their streaming gaming platform.

A decent amount of people pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 on Stadia and got a free ultra with it, and if they like the service (I do!) They will likely be interested in a second Ultra for another TV.

But that's really it, and word on the street is that they're going to get Stadia into the new Chromecast in 2021
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21926 posts
25267 upvotes
Toronto
only benefit to the Ultra I can see is that it includes ethernet adapter, that can often provide a far more reliable streaming/casting experience.

for Chromecast with Google TV you have to purchase the ethernet adapter separately
Images
  • chromecastadapter.jpg
Last edited by sprung on Dec 24th, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Sep 30, 2019
61 posts
377 upvotes
I have been using fire stick 4K for an year and it’s way better than any other stick or tv that I have come across till date.
+It has access to entire android app ecosystem
+you can hook 2 echos to make a wireless home theater for ~$120 (that’s what I paid for my 2 echos)
+Remote
+Bluetooth for earphones (great for nights where you don’t want to trouble your partner with loud sound)
Sep 30, 2019
61 posts
377 upvotes
I have been using fire stick 4K for an year and it’s way better than any other stick or tv that I have come across till date.
+you can hook 2 echos to make a wireless home theater for ~$120 (that’s what I paid for my 2 echos)
+Remote
+Bluetooth for earphones (great for nights where you don’t want to trouble your partner with loud sound)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1297 posts
1336 upvotes
Toronto
BigEars wrote: I have been using fire stick 4K for an year and it’s way better than any other stick or tv that I have come across till date.
+Remote
Not to mention it's exceedingly easy to run a VPN on it, if you're into that.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4570 posts
4627 upvotes
Vancouver
Etabol wrote: For those who only cast youtube and netflix, if you have a smart TV with those Apps; you do not need this. Via the App, you can cast directly to those devices.
Netflix and Youtube are unique in that they support DIAL, the open protocol that the Chromecast originally used when it was first introduced. Many smart TV makers built in DIAL protocol as well. After the Chromecast was a success, Google customized the Chromecast protocol to make it proprietary, and all the apps built to use their Cast api became no longer DIAL compatible. The only major apps I know of that kept DIAL in their code separately are Netflix and Youtube (a bit odd, since Google owns Youtube). Youtube on one device also knows how to communicate with Youtube on the same network connected to the same Google account.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1240 posts
850 upvotes
Quebec City
warmdeals wrote: Chromecast with Google TV + 6 months of Netflix ($89.94 credit) = $119 plus tax

This is essentially an Android TV device and you can install apps.
Would it run a browser or Steam streaming?
Oct 3, 2007
340 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks OP, ordered a chromecast to replace my gen1 which was very slow and laggy.