$265 best deal since the pandemic using code 76366
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1162 posts
1213 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
DealCanuck wrote: $265 best deal since the pandemic using code 76366
This is like buy a good value high quality black and white TV when color TVs just hit the store shelves.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3407 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote: This is like buy a good value high quality black and white TV when color TVs just hit the store shelves.
Issue is finding those color tvs in stock lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
superxxxstud wrote: This is like buy a good value high quality black and white TV when color TVs just hit the store shelves.
In this case both “TVs are colored” just one faster than the other.
Oct 6, 2012
140 posts
176 upvotes
KINGSTON
For some, they don't watch all that much TV, so to them, a discounted/capable 'older' black and white TV is all that is required.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9590 posts
4414 upvotes
Toronto
any coupons? whats the returns policy?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2537 posts
1374 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Many customers over at reddit have reported that Staples has not shipped any Ryzen 3600 units as its likely dropshipped. You've been warned.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
2205 posts
307 upvotes
Ryzen 3500 is $150 new o. AliExpress :)
Dec 20, 2019
432 posts
1412 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
This is a terrible analogy. The new ryzen, while better, is not revolutionary and in no way invalidates the older ones. Besides that, most people don't ever max out their cpu anyway; this is more than enough for many provided the savings are subsantial enough. Heck, I'm using an 2500k right now, and it is perfectly fine for my needs.
Last edited by Patrickpete on Dec 12th, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3407 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: Many customers over at reddit have reported that Staples has not shipped any Ryzen 3600 units as its likely dropshipped. You've been warned.
What does this mean? Warned about what?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9590 posts
4414 upvotes
Toronto
damn... i would've got one just temporarily and returned it when the good ones went in stock

but if there's shipping delays then its prolly not worth
Sep 29, 2002
180 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI, placed order for 3600 on Nov 28th, still hasn't shipped.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
RadMan wrote: FYI, placed order for 3600 on Nov 28th, still hasn't shipped.
If it doesn’t ship by EOY I’ll be cancelling, worth a shot anyway since you don’t get charged until it ships
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1162 posts
1213 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Patrickpete wrote: This is a terrible analogy. The new ryzen, while better, is not revolutionary and in no way invalidates the older ones. Besides that, most people don't ever max out their cpu anyway; this is more than enough for many provided the savings are subsantial enough. Heck, I'm using an 2500k right now, and it is perfectly fine for my needs.
Sure if you are buying this for word processing. I have an old 3570k that I had to overclock and it still at 100% usage while playing 1080p DOTA, which isn't exactly the most power hungry game.. far from it. It runs excel spreadsheets smoothly and probably will for another decade, assuming it doesn't blow up. If you get a high end chip (I'm not talking about 1000$ fringe processors), it should last you a good 5-10 years. If you go previous gen "value purchase", your upgrade cycle is going to hit more frequently. You haven't saved anything.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
superxxxstud wrote: Sure if you are buying this for word processing. I have an old 3570k that I had to overclock and it still at 100% usage while playing 1080p DOTA, which isn't exactly the most power hungry game.. far from it. It runs excel spreadsheets smoothly and probably will for another decade, assuming it doesn't blow up. If you get a high end chip (I'm not talking about 1000$ fringe processors), it should last you a good 5-10 years. If you go previous gen "value purchase", your upgrade cycle is going to hit more frequently. You haven't saved anything.
To be fair this is not for saving money but rather to get something through the pandemic , but it seems that we all have to wait to arrive eventually.

People say they’ve been back ordered since late November
May 10, 2016
348 posts
455 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote: Sure if you are buying this for word processing. I have an old 3570k that I had to overclock and it still at 100% usage while playing 1080p DOTA, which isn't exactly the most power hungry game.. far from it. It runs excel spreadsheets smoothly and probably will for another decade, assuming it doesn't blow up. If you get a high end chip (I'm not talking about 1000$ fringe processors), it should last you a good 5-10 years. If you go previous gen "value purchase", your upgrade cycle is going to hit more frequently. You haven't saved anything.
You've got it kind of backwards. The only thing you actually need this kind of processing power for is gaming, and maybe video rendering or other CPU heavy workloads if you're doing it professionally. Everything else will work fine on a lesser processor for many years to come.

I'm still running a i7 2600k. It runs Lightroom and photoshop fine, CAD modelling in SolidWorks is fine for smaller assemblies (the bigger ones will bring even a $5000 workstation to its knees), 4K video editing in Premiere pro is snappy with proxies. The only thing that really bogs it down is rendering the 4K video, but I can just walk away or leave it running in the background for a bit. I'm considering upgrading in the next year or two, but it is absolutely not necessary. I might give the 2600k to my mom and she could happily use it for word processing for another 5 years at least. Maybe even 10 if it doesn't go obsolete in other ways.