Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

APC® Back-UPS™ Connect Network UPS and Mobile Power Pack (BGE50ML-CA) - $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 11:14 am
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
4350 posts
612 upvotes
Markham, ON

[Staples] APC® Back-UPS™ Connect Network UPS and Mobile Power Pack (BGE50ML-CA) - $49.99

I got an email from staples today with this special.
The individual battery pack is 11400mah and goes for around $79.96 at staples
This one comes with a charge station that acts as a UPS as well. I think it's pretty neat and a good stocking stuffer.
It also has Standard warranty 3 years repair or replace according to their website.

Don't forget to go through ebates for 1% cash back (not much but still something...) - https://www.ebates.ca/coupons/staples-canada

APC® Back-UPS™ Connect Network UPS and Mobile Power Pack, 2-Outlet (BGE50ML-CA)
More info from APC - http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/ ... Site=false
Last edited by yhap2003 on Dec 13th, 2017 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
62 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4166 posts
6803 upvotes
Langley, BC
"2+ hours of network back up power keeps you connected to the internet during storms and outages"

Has APC never heard of cell data before?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
4350 posts
612 upvotes
Markham, ON
steven80 wrote: "2+ hours of network back up power keeps you connected to the internet during storms and outages"

Has APC never heard of cell data before?
Not when you have home automation and needs your network equipment up for a set period of time.
Cell hotspot only works for devices with wifi! Cell data is limited. Not everyone have enough "cell data". Different use case...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4166 posts
6803 upvotes
Langley, BC
I guess not everyone can live without being connected to the new for 2 hours... lol

if the power is out, home automation is useless.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Internet is the least of my worries, especially during the winter.
I rather invest in a backup generator, so my furnace can keep running.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2520 posts
1235 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
yhap2003 wrote: I got an email from staples today with this special.
The individual battery back is 11400mah and goes for around $79.96 at staples
This one comes with a charge station that acts as a UPS as well. I think it's pretty neat and a good stocking stuffer.
It also has Standard warranty 3 years repair or replace according to their website.

Don't forget to go through ebates for 1% cash back (not much but still something...) - https://www.ebates.ca/coupons/staples-canada

APC® Back-UPS™ Connect Network UPS and Mobile Power Pack, 2-Outlet (BGE50ML-CA)
More info from APC - http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/ ... Site=false
I don't understand this product...

I use the following in my network closet:

https://www.staples.ca/en/APC-Back-UPS- ... CA_1_20001

It works great to keep the internet up during short power outages...

However, I no longer keep my Ooma in my intenet closet, so it has no UPS backup. Which means my alarm system cannot dialout during a power outage.

Would this work for that scenario? e.g. Does this provide 110 V UPS? If not, why the AC plugs in the back? If so, are there two batteries in this thing? Or do I lose AC if I unplug the battery pack to recharge my phones on the go?

This seems like a very odd mix of devices. It may or may not meet my needs...
Apr 19, 2016
23 posts
26 upvotes
Actually there are many types of professions that rely on dependable network 24/7, keep an open mind, it's a big world out there.
steven80 wrote: I guess not everyone can live without being connected to the new for 2 hours... lol

if the power is out, home automation is useless.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad this thing can't be easily hacked to accept other lith ion battery packs to add more capacity, seems like it won't last very long upconverting 5v from the lithium ion back back up to AC? I don't really get this product either
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2568 posts
742 upvotes
Ottawa
facebook259 wrote: I don't understand this product...

I use the following in my network closet:

https://www.staples.ca/en/APC-Back-UPS- ... CA_1_20001

It works great to keep the internet up during short power outages...

However, I no longer keep my Ooma in my intenet closet, so it has no UPS backup. Which means my alarm system cannot dialout during a power outage.

Would this work for that scenario? e.g. Does this provide 110 V UPS? If not, why the AC plugs in the back? If so, are there two batteries in this thing? Or do I lose AC if I unplug the battery pack to recharge my phones on the go?

This seems like a very odd mix of devices. It may or may not meet my needs...
Isn't this applicable to EVERYTHING that is sold out there???
anyways, if you need to understand the idea behind this device, you may want to head over to product page on Staples site and read/watch short video.
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2520 posts
1235 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I read through the description carefully. It says you double the amount of UPS time when the battery is plugged in. So if you take the battery to go you get a little over an hour. If you leave it plugged in a little over two hours. It is a fairly low output rating, 50 watts. So you aren't going to run a laptop off this. But it should have no problem running my Ooma during a power outage. There were two in stock at the Staples a few blocks from my home, so I ordered one to pickup this afternoon.

It is a very niche product. But it will meet my needs at a low price.

Thanks. :-)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
cpyleitz wrote: Actually there are many types of professions that rely on dependable network 24/7, keep an open mind, it's a big world out there.
But, they're not using this sort of mickey mouse device!
Jan 20, 2017
259 posts
472 upvotes
Since all my sensors are wireless it'd be good for keeping my WiFi router going through short outages so I can keep my non-cloud home automation (security system, etc.) going. I suppose if your local node for your ISP isn't affect by the outage you could run your modem on this too for cloud-based home automation but for me, Rogers seems to be down at the same time as any power outage so I wouldn't bother running my modem on it. Same can be said about any UPS though. Different looking and the white would fit in with the rest of my home automation appliances (ST, WINK, Google Home) so why not.... in for one.

Thanks OP.
The artist previously known as Bum_Gravey.
Nov 8, 2004
267 posts
98 upvotes
A router looks like it would get a little over an hour run time with this on 120volts. Depending on how much power it draws. Ooma looks like it draws even less power, so you can probably assume +2 hrs. I will let someone more knowledgeable do the actual calculations if they feel so inclined.
Images
  • 20171213_075821.png
Nov 13, 2006
4350 posts
612 upvotes
Markham, ON
facebook259 wrote: I read through the description carefully. It says you double the amount of UPS time when the battery is plugged in. So if you take the battery to go you get a little over an hour. If you leave it plugged in a little over two hours. It is a fairly low output rating, 50 watts. So you aren't going to run a laptop off this. But it should have no problem running my Ooma during a power outage. There were two in stock at the Staples a few blocks from my home, so I ordered one to pickup this afternoon.

I think people here have high expectation from APC. This isn't supposed to be a full out UPS backup that gives you good power.
To me it's a power pack with the option of using it was a small UPS. I bought one myself. Gonna see how well it works.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2002
5287 posts
3345 upvotes
facebook259 wrote: I read through the description carefully. It says you double the amount of UPS time when the battery is plugged in. So if you take the battery to go you get a little over an hour. If you leave it plugged in a little over two hours. It is a fairly low output rating, 50 watts. So you aren't going to run a laptop off this. But it should have no problem running my Ooma during a power outage. There were two in stock at the Staples a few blocks from my home, so I ordered one to pickup this afternoon.

I read it differently... it says "An additional Mobile Power Pack doubles your runtime during an extended outage, or provides an extra battery for the UPS at home when you're on the go." Which I took as buying another battery will get you double the uptime.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4909 posts
4914 upvotes
Ontario
Do they guarantee it will last an hour ;)? My router is an Quad Core PC with a ton of ram and I have several switches and 1 power crazy wifi access point lol.
---
Nov 8, 2004
267 posts
98 upvotes
I wonder if the 120V backup needs the portable power pack to remain plugged in during an outage to provide output? Or is there a battery built into the base too?
3914 posts
2527 upvotes
GrandTheftAutopolis
Rforce1 wrote: I wonder if the 120V backup needs the portable power pack to remain plugged in during an outage to provide output? Or is there a battery built into the base too?
Think the battery pack is the only power source :(