Staples

Apple Watch 6, $60 off and additional 5% off with coupon code

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2021 9:22 pm
Oct 20, 2018
70 posts
60 upvotes
EugW wrote:

Third party Apple refurbished stuff often sucks. Stay away.
I guess ymmv but I never once (beside my laptop and deal from iPhone carrier) bought one new Apple product.

Just 1 month ago I bought an iPad Air gen 3.
It was not “as new”, it was absolutely new, unopened box.

But yea I guess it’s possible to get a bad product once in a while but that why there is a return policy almost everywhere.
Dec 4, 2016
266 posts
122 upvotes
What's the return policy on smart watches?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1718 posts
359 upvotes
BC
Wait for the Apple Watch 7

"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19897 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
flood4 wrote: I guess ymmv but I never once (beside my laptop and deal from iPhone carrier) bought one new Apple product.

Just 1 month ago I bought an iPad Air gen 3.
It was not “as new”, it was absolutely new, unopened box.

But yea I guess it’s possible to get a bad product once in a while but that why there is a return policy almost everywhere.
A lot of the refurb iPhones I've seen from third parties were sub par. The other issue I've encountered is that they use non-Apple parts which can be problematic. The battery for one - Yes it will work but it will have a shorter life span. Is a new third party battery better than an old OEM Apple battery? Usually yes, but don't expect that new third party battery to last as long or be as reliable as a new OEM Apple battery. Also the third party screens work fine too, but if you compare them side by side with a proper OEM Apple product, they are visibly worse. Not horribly bad but not the same. And they fail more often. In addition, some people have encountered warning messages from iOS when non-OEM parts are included.

Apple.ca refurbs are excellent, but those are essentially new products, direct from Apple.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2362 posts
1059 upvotes
Toronto
insync44 wrote: Wait for the Apple Watch 7

Don't waste your time on this video. He knows absolutely nothing.
Sep 1, 2019
30 posts
14 upvotes
DiscoBiscuits1 wrote: did your order get fulfilled? I received an order cancellation notice a few minutes after confirmation due to OOS...
I ended up ordering both sizes and asked for store pickup. The 44mm is ready for pickup. They called me regarding the 40mm because they only had an open box. I cancelled that one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19897 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
DiscoBiscuits1 wrote: did your order get fulfilled? I received an order cancellation notice a few minutes after confirmation due to OOS...
Staples is up to their old tactics again. However, I don't blame malice here, just incompetence.

Their online ordering and fulfilment system is bad. One of my two orders around Xmas was cancelled because it couldn't be fulfilled for some reason. So I tried to re-order but I couldn't use the coupon again. So I called in and re-ordered again with a different coupon and the second time it wasn't cancelled. So, clearly they had stock but still randomly cancelled my order the first time.

This never happens to me with my Amazon or Best Buy orders. However, it seems to be a very common occurrence with Staples.

BTW, to change the subject:

I have a 172 mm wrist and the 40 mm is perfect for me. I know a lot of people with similar sized wrists go for the bigger watch because it has more screen real estate, but it doesn't seem to be a significant issue. It's not as if I'm reading a book or surfing the net on it or anything.

However, some reports say the 44 mm may have somewhat longer battery life, so there's that.
Sep 9, 2014
731 posts
639 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Need consulting here.

I've been wanting to buy the Apple Watch SE 44mm with Milanese loop. You can custom build your watch on their website. Does anyone recommend buying this one and buy the Milanese loop for $119 @ Apple store? Anyone own the sport band + Milanese loop, and can share experience? Thank you.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19897 posts
6080 upvotes
Toronto
ericli007 wrote: Need consulting here.

I've been wanting to buy the Apple Watch SE 44mm with Milanese loop. You can custom build your watch on their website. Does anyone recommend buying this one and buy the Milanese loop for $119 @ Apple store? Anyone own the sport band + Milanese loop, and can share experience? Thank you.
I never use the Milanese loop. It sits in the cupboard. I don't use the Sport Band either as my wife uses that one, but she likes the Sport Band. Most of the time I use a third party leather band which I got for $20 off Amazon because I like the look better. Well, it claims to be leather, but it doesn't seem to be completely legit leather to me, but I like it anyway. I use a $5 silicone loop I got from aliexpress for exercise though. The Apple Sport band is clearly a lot better built than the cheap loop from AliExpress though.

The Milanese loop looks good but catches my arm hairs. Ouch! Plus it can sometimes loosen over time. It's also heavy. So, it sits unused waiting for nice dinner parties and what not, but that may not be until next year given the current situation. Neutral Face
Feb 4, 2021
21 posts
25 upvotes
insync44 wrote: Wait for the Apple Watch 7

There's only so much a watch can do... short of Apple adding in a massive battery that enables the watch to last for weeks at a time on a charge or they add a camera (both of which won't happen), there's no real reason to actually wait for the 7.

The 6 and SE will drop in price slightly (to probably these prices). If you have an iPhone and want a smartwatch to track fitness as summer approaches, waiting isn't gonna do you much good... You're gonna buy the watch at full price, unless you're willing to wait even longer for it go (rarely) go on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1264 posts
5363 upvotes
flood4 wrote: I have an Apple Watch 3.
I don’t think I would recommended either since it’s quite old, but I have zero problem of space, speed or anything like it.

It’s working almost as new, if you don’t count the cracked screen I have!!!

I’m now looking for a 5 (too expensive to change the screen) because the 6 doesn’t worth it.
Why are you looking for Watch 5 instead of Watch SE? Per EugW's post, additional features of Watch 6 are not very useful. It seems the price of Watch SE is quite reasonable.
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes
I just hope they will improve the battery like you said...0.75 days to 1ish day is really annoying
~=[,,_,,]:3
Oct 20, 2018
70 posts
60 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Why are you looking for Watch 5 instead of Watch SE? Per EugW's post, additional features of Watch 6 are not very useful. It seems the price of Watch SE is quite reasonable.
For the always on screen!
This is my main complain about my aw3.

In bonus, I could also have the ecg (egc?) and the force touch.
Oct 20, 2018
70 posts
60 upvotes
manoflegend12 wrote: I just hope they will improve the battery like you said...0.75 days to 1ish day is really annoying
Weird. My series 3 is 3+ years (4?) and I’ve got almost 2 days. (Will die at 7-10pm the second day)
It’s at 80% right now after 12 hours.

Maybe if you use the LTE a lot it will be much worse.
Oct 20, 2018
70 posts
60 upvotes
assassinsbleed wrote: There's only so much a watch can do... short of Apple adding in a massive battery that enables the watch to last for weeks at a time on a charge or they add a camera (both of which won't happen), there's no real reason to actually wait for the 7.
I can see a couple of reasons
1- there is rumour about a rugged watch with massive battery. We’ll see if true.
2- when they will release the 7, the 6 will be even cheaper.

If you have a series 3-4-5, you can easily wait 5 months for the 7.
If you don’t have a watch by now, I guess you can live 5 months more without it.

But overall it’s not a bad time to buy it now either since we are in the mid-cycle.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4636 posts
1275 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Why are you looking for Watch 5 instead of Watch SE?
The Series 5 has the always on screen and electrocardiogram. Both the Series 5 and SE use the same S5 SiP. By many accounts the ECG is really only used if you know you have a heart condition or you're say around/over the age of 60. Spending time trying to find the Series 5 isn't worth it over the SE. And if you really want the ECG you'd get the Series 6.

The SE is a really compelling buy for people interested in the Apple Watch. Too bad the weak CAD puts it over $400 but that's not Apple's fault.
Feb 4, 2021
21 posts
25 upvotes
One day in and I'm loving it.

My only gripe, which is something I should have expected given it being an Apple product, is the lack of support for third party Home Assistance apps like Google Home or Alexa, which sucks but is a trade off compared to the Samsung Active or other android watches which can't take calls, respond to iMessage or use Apple Pay.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1718 posts
359 upvotes
BC
If you have an iPhone then you don't really have a choice but to go with Apple Watch. I like my Watch 5 for the always on display, ECG & fall detector. A watch is supposed to tell the time at a glance not to keep twisting your hand all the time. Since I'm a diabetic I would like to see the improvements for us in the Watch 7.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6096 posts
1592 upvotes
I have to say that the Apple Watch 5 has the worse sleep detection ever. I took it off and put it on my table so it assumes I've been sleeping for the last 19 hours. Even with it on, it still can't detect difference phases of sleep.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」