Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] ASUS 14-inch Notebook, 2.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 3 3250U, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB DDR4, Windows 10, $529

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 9:31 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
256 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto

[Staples] ASUS 14-inch Notebook, 2.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 3 3250U, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB DDR4, Windows 10, $529

I saw a couple laptop deals on rfd and wasn’t thrilled at any of them. So I did a bit of searching and came across this one. It has decent specs in my opinion for a non gaming, low to mid tier laptop.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2983085 ... -radeon-r3

Product Details

Whether at work or at play, ASUS M409 is the laptop that delivers powerful performance and immersive visual. Its new frameless four-sided NanoEdge display boasts an ultraslim 5.7mm bezel, giving an amazing 83% screen-to-body ratio for supremely immersive visuals.

14-inch LED display with 1366 x 768 screen resolution
2.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 3 3250U processor (5 MB cache)
8 GB DDR4 RAM system memory
512 GB Solid State Drive storage
Windows 10 Home operating system pre-installed
AMD Radeon R3 graphics
WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity
Ports: 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB-C, HDMI, Headphone/Microphone-combo, 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
32 WHrs, 2S1P, 2-Cell Lithium-ion battery
Dimensions: 12.8" x 8.5" x 0.9", 3.5 lbs
1 Year Warranty
Compatible with Google Classroom, run Google Classroom on Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11

The only down side I see is that the screen is not the greatest, so I’m not sure if that is a deal breaker for everyone.

Edit,
Here is a similar laptop that has a better screen, slightly better processor, less storage, and $70 more.
I am more inclined to spend the $70 for the better screen

https://www.amazon.ca/COMPUTER-VivoBook ... B087Z9Y4P2
Credit: GeraldoRei
Last edited by pleebent on Sep 17th, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 replies
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
i will try to get at least 4 cores for any laptop

just a rule of thumb
Dec 23, 2010
180 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Everything is good... except it's not 1080p. I no like
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
256 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
The processor from amazon is 1 year older however
is quad core vs duel core from Staples.. The processor from amazon is slightly better but may not be too noticable.. The size and look and weight seem identical. The staples one has double the storage capacity and is $70 cheaper. However amazon has a better screen.
I think I am more inclined now to sacrifices half the storage space and pay the extra $70 for slightly better cpu and much better display. Thank you
Last edited by pleebent on Sep 17th, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 14, 2011
485 posts
494 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GeraldoRei wrote: How does it compare to this one from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/COMPUTER-VivoBook ... ok+&sr=8-2

Also, any additional Staples coupons?
pleebent wrote: The amazon one processor is 1 year older however is is quad core vs duel core here. The processor is just slightly better. The size and look and weight seem identical.
This one has double the storage capacity and is $70 cheaper. The amazon seems pretty good I think it has a better screen
That Amazon one was recently on sale for $519 and a bunch of people was able to get an additional 30=35% extra off for an ad error.

In fact I am typing with that VivoBook now=)
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
256 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
Wow I wish I could get that.
How are you liking the vivobook?
Mar 30, 2019
52 posts
55 upvotes
pleebent wrote: The processor from amazon is 1 year older however
is quad core vs duel core from Staples.. The processor from amazon is slightly better but may not be too noticable.. The size and look and weight seem identical. The staples one has double the storage capacity and is $70 cheaper. However amazon has a better screen.
I think I am more inclined now to sacrifices half the storage space and pay the extra $70 for slightly better cpu and much better display. Thank you
xXKEIXx wrote: That Amazon one was recently on sale for $519 and a bunch of people was able to get an additional 30=35% extra off for an ad error.

In fact I am typing with that VivoBook now=)
Thanks for the replies. I guess it pays to wait. Can we assume there will be more sales? I don't need it right now but definitely soon, maybe within a month.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4526 posts
2919 upvotes
Burnaby
TLSRULZ wrote: For my I decided to go with i5 over ryzen as it won't be for gaming.
Towards the end of this thread you can see the posts for the 3590... I think the rakuten is down to 2% today.. so you missed the 8%.

dell-vostro-14-3490-laptop-14in-hd-i3-1 ... #p33132668
IINM, there are two (2) Rakuten cashback promotions for Dell: Rakuten Dell Consumer and Rakuten Dell Technologies for Work. The former applies to Dell Consumer line products (Inspirons, Gaming, etc.) and the latter to Dell Business line products (e.g., Precision, Latitude, Vostro, Servers, etc.). At this moment, Rakuten cashback for Dell Consumer is at 2% and Rakuten cashback for Dell Technologies for Work (SMB) is at 8%. To me, it's not yet clear (at Rakuten Canada) whether you can mix Dell product lines and Rakuten promos (purchases using either SMB vs Consumer account). Similarly, Rakuten runs two promos for Lenovo (called Lenovo Canada and Lenovo SMB Pro, though it seems that these work slightly different than for Dell).
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
256 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
TLSRULZ wrote: For my I decided to go with i5 over ryzen as it won't be for gaming.
Towards the end of this thread you can see the posts for the 3590... I think the rakuten is down to 2% today.. so you missed the 8%.

dell-vostro-14-3490-laptop-14in-hd-i3-1 ... #p33132668
That’s fair, let me know if the coupon code works. I prefer how the asus one looks compared to dell. It’s more sleek and appealing in my opinion. Smaller screen bezel. Also less work to get the asus one, don’t need to sign up for marketing emails etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4526 posts
2919 upvotes
Burnaby
pleebent wrote:
That’s fair, let me know if the coupon code works. I prefer how the asus one looks compared to dell. It’s more sleek and appealing in my opinion. Smaller screen bezel. Also less work to get the asus one, don’t need to sign up for marketing emails etc.
That review is for a 2016 model (May 13, 2016) that's not the one TLSRULZ is referring to. You should address the model @TLSRULZ says he ordered, which, IINM, is a Vostro 3590 (2020). Here you have two reviews for that model (IMO, using a broad brush for a brand is mistaken):

Dell Vostro 3590 review – hardware from today in a chassis from yesterday?

Reviewed model uses a i3, IINM
Benchmarks: i5-10210u vs ryzen 3 3250u

===

As people say: to each their own.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
256 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote: That review is for a 2016 model (May 13, 2016) that's not the one TLSRULZ is referring to. You should address the model @TLSRULZ says he ordered, which, IINM, is a Vostro 3590 (2020). Here you have two reviews for that model (IMO, using a broad brush for a brand is mistaken):

Dell Vostro 3590 review – hardware from today in a chassis from yesterday?

Benchmarks: i5-10210u vs ryzen 3 3250u

===

As people say: to each their own.
Thanks didn’t realize it was the wrong year. I still like the look of asus and the bezels are still smaller on it.
Also as per the bench mark, seems the amd ryzen 5 3300u has a higher score than the i5? And the asus one is a fhd IPS apparently