• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2019 11:27 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
743 posts
671 upvotes
GPS - error

[Staples] Asus Blue Cave Wireless Router - $179

Very good price for one of the best routers under $300.

Easily beats the RT-AC68U, and even the RT-AC86U ...

For 5 Ghz range, for example, it has #2 position at smallnetbuilder:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/r ... /rev10/421
26 replies
Oct 27, 2011
134 posts
137 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Would like to know as well. Shopping for a router in this price range and the AC86U is currently $200 at BestBuy
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:25 pm
Why is it so cheap if it beats the 86u? Reliability issues?
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
743 posts
671 upvotes
GPS - error
Mine is really solid :)

Probably not selling well because of how it looks, but the internal 4 antennas are better than most external ones, and the chipsets are by Intel.
Apr 23, 2014
607 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There are AX router coming out this year. if you want to future proof and only buy router every few years. Some already out but a bit pricey
Sep 13, 2011
469 posts
183 upvotes
ANJOU
vanclty wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 3:02 am
There are AX router coming out this year. if you want to future proof and only buy router every few years. Some already out but a bit pricey
Futureproof would require WPA3 support also. There not a lot of WPA3 certified right now.
Aug 19, 2009
294 posts
138 upvotes
This router is great. The price is not that great. I got it from Newegg in Feb for $149.99 which is about the lowest it has dropped to. But since this one and the comparable ac86u do not drop in price too often, this price is an okay buy. If you can wait, I think price might drop to $150 again during summer sales or back-to-school.

Many people laugh at the shape. I think it looks great. Very sleek and modern. Compared to the crab and spider shaped ones we have now, I would say this one looks better lol.

Please take those "router need restart" reviews with a grin of salt. Literally EVERY router, there will be reviews mostly from people who don't know how to configure things saying router is trash coz need to reboot. TBH, you should reboot it once in a while. I have it on a smart plug which automatically reboots it every morning at 3am.

Few things about this router:

- VERY concerning privacy EULA. If you use any of their functions like the anti-virus, QoS, cloud drive etc etc. you will have to give them all your URL visited. For the anti-virus, it is understandable, since the engine needs to know which site you are visiting to scan it for bad stuff. But other things shouldn't require such invasive permissions at all. According the the author of the Merlin firmware, you shouldn't worry because it is apparently a "all-encompassing EULA" so their lawyers do not have to write up a separate EULA for each function. But take it as you will, up2u to decide if it's worth it or not.

- VERY slow (re)boot speed. Holy crap this router boots up slow. Compared to my previous TP-LINK this thing takes an eternity.

- slow at obtaining an IP. For some reason, it sometimes takes a while to obtain a 192. IP. Sometimes it gives the internal 169 ip before finally able to obtain the correct 192 ip.

- 5gz range is VERY good.

- The donut lights up blue, but you can turn it off if it's in your bedroom.

- There is literally no other indicator light on the router. Just the blue donut. xD
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Zoomer, Tangerine.
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24812 posts
5083 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:25 pm
Why is it so cheap if it beats the 86u? Reliability issues?
$200 is considered "cheap" for a router these days? Crazy times we live in. I mean even when consumer-level wireless routers were an emerging thing with 11b and g, I'm not sure routers were that expensive. Now that's considered a deal for a router :lol:

At least this one isn't $300 and doesn't look like something out of a Michael Bay Transformers film.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8486 posts
874 upvotes
vanclty wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 3:02 am
Ax are out I own the 11000x and the ac5300 and ac68. The 68 is not part of my aimesh. The ax11000 has issues and I do not recommend it at all, there has been an ongoing discussion on another forum about issues.

I have to reboot my ax every few days.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
743 posts
671 upvotes
GPS - error
My uptime on my Blue Cave was 30 days and it was just fine at that point,
mind you I’m running it in AP mode only now since I “built” a real router:

C1A13D13-5819-4972-A43E-8A2D4D507D95.jpeg