• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2019 11:27 am
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1237 posts
170 upvotes
ae86fr wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:51 am
- VERY concerning privacy EULA. If you use any of their functions like the anti-virus, QoS, cloud drive etc etc. you will have to give them all your URL visited. For the anti-virus, it is understandable, since the engine needs to know which site you are visiting to scan it for bad stuff. But other things shouldn't require such invasive permissions at all. According the the author of the Merlin firmware, you shouldn't worry because it is apparently a "all-encompassing EULA" so their lawyers do not have to write up a separate EULA for each function. But take it as you will, up2u to decide if it's worth it or not.
Was just about to buy it until I read this. Thank you for letting us know about this, as I would like to setup the QoS.

Is this with all ASUS routers?
I assume that all use similiar Asus interface / OS for all their routers.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
654 posts
531 upvotes
GPS - error
All Asus routers and all routers that use Trend Micro services for AV and QoS, etc.
As Merlin said I wouldn’t worry about it, you can sniff it, there’s nothing bad there.
Aug 19, 2009
268 posts
124 upvotes
nightwalker wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 12:31 pm
Was just about to buy it until I read this. Thank you for letting us know about this, as I would like to setup the QoS.

Is this with all ASUS routers?
I assume that all use similiar Asus interface / OS for all their routers.

This is what it says under the Privacy tab in router settings.
Administration - ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )
Please note that users are required to agree to share information before using DDNS, Remote Connection (ASUS Router APP、Lyra APP、AiCloud、AiDisk), AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost and Web history. At any time, users can search for the contents of the terms at this page or stop sharing the information with other parties by choosing Withdraw.
If you are interested, you can read through this thread for more info:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-6 ... cro.48202/
Especially the posts from RMerlin.

Then decide if it's worth it to you. Honestly I don't quite agree with some of Merlin's arguments in that thread. But with today's technology, total privacy is not achievable so uhhhh yeahhh...
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Zoomer, Fido, ING (Tangerine sounds so weird >.>)
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
654 posts
531 upvotes
GPS - error
People concerned with privacy yet most here still use windows 10, lol :)

That notice has also to do with the fact that 3rd party executables are running
On the router and they have access to data, doesn’t mean it’s actually being
Sent outside of the router in most cases but simply processed inside of it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27436 posts
13369 upvotes
Ottawa
Any reports of early failures with the 2.4Ghz frequency?
I just finished RMAing my AC86U and was sent a refurb replacement.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
654 posts
531 upvotes
GPS - error
hystavito wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 2:49 pm
What is it?
I bought a used Sophos XG115 rev.2 box for under $200 on ebay and installed a free UTM9 Home License on it ...
Now I have L2TP VPN supported directly from IOS and Windows, transparent antivirus and antispyware, web filtering, etc.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2038 posts
312 upvotes
Did Dyson design this?
Oct 27, 2011
132 posts
98 upvotes
VANCOUVER
For those of you who have this, how's are the speeds in small spaces? Review from Tom's hardware says this performs well at longer distances, but falls short when devices are close to the router. Anyone with real world experience want to chime in?
Dec 18, 2006
101 posts
30 upvotes
Ajax
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 2:47 pm
Don't want to derail the thread but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same loss of 2.4Ghz band on the AC86U? I just got my refurb replacement last week.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4863 posts
1757 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 2:47 pm
Just finished returning AC3100 refurb that gone crazy. Was working fine 10 days but then started disassociating all wireless clients.
Even reset didn't fix the wireless, everything else working fine.
Glad I kept back up router
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1379 posts
46 upvotes
This or the Netgear Orbi (RBK22) that’s on sale right now for $199?