• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 9:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1403 posts
71 upvotes

[Staples] Asus Router AC-5300 $280, GT$300

I finally nabbed the GT. Its one of the few routers that has 8 ports.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14410 posts
15214 upvotes
Fast but potentially inconsistent.

There's a reason why the 86U is king.

It's a consistent reliable piece of hardware (old issues being addressed).

At this price, I'd hit up 2020 AX routers if I needed the throughput.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10941 posts
2810 upvotes
Scarberia
250 I might bite! 459$ eeekkk regular price
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9243 posts
7928 upvotes
Markham
I have both a GT-AC5300 and a RT-AC86U. Both are great routers, even if you don't flash the GT-AC5300 with custom firmware. Both are pretty fast, and both are rock-steady.

However, there is one aspect where the GT-AC5300 obliterates the RT-AC86U. Range.

You can comfortably run a GT-AC5300 in a 3500-4000 sqft house, with full interior coverage. You cannot do this with an RT-AC86U.
Nov 16, 2015
504 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anikiri wrote: I have both a GT-AC5300 and a RT-AC86U. Both are great routers, even if you don't flash the GT-AC5300 with custom firmware. Both are pretty fast, and both are rock-steady.

However, there is one aspect where the GT-AC5300 obliterates the RT-AC86U. Range.

You can comfortably run a GT-AC5300 in a 3500-4000 sqft house, with full interior coverage. You cannot do this with an RT-AC86U.
The AC86U has pretty good range

I have mine in the middle of my house(2000sq)
I get coverage at the sidewalk and throughout my backyard. If I run speed test indoors it’s consistently in the hundreds
Jul 29, 2008
150 posts
66 upvotes
They are all solid routers. However, given AC86U's current price advantage (on sale for $180), it's a no brainer.
Jul 16, 2019
148 posts
98 upvotes
So you would go for the AC86U one?
I am thinking about if AX Routers would be more valuable
impulse buying is an unplanned decision to buy a product or service, made just before a purchase
Jul 29, 2008
150 posts
66 upvotes
YuHeY32031 wrote: So you would go for the AC86U one?
I am thinking about if AX Routers would be more valuable
Wifi 6 (AX) is still new, and the reality is that most people don't have a strong need (nor many AX clients) to take the speed advantage of AX over AC. You would pay a high price for an AX router to get almost no real-world gain. IMO, AC86U would fit most people's need right now. One or two years later, when the need comes you can pick an AX router and the AC86U can still be a great satellite node in AiMesh.
Oct 3, 2007
197 posts
90 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: I have both a GT-AC5300 and a RT-AC86U. Both are great routers, even if you don't flash the GT-AC5300 with custom firmware. Both are pretty fast, and both are rock-steady.

There are no custom firmwares for the GT
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
I have been thinking of this.. What I fear is the GT models.. Yes hardware better but check the Asus ROG forums, lots of complaints of wifi drops and stuff.. It's definitely firmware related.

The RT supports merlin but hardware weaker than GT.

Hence with these two points I still haven't chosen which one to buy. I might just consider buying the Ax88u instead..
Sep 27, 2008
650 posts
421 upvotes
jeffgao wrote: Wifi 6 (AX) is still new, and the reality is that most people don't have a strong need (nor many AX clients) to take the speed advantage of AX over AC. You would pay a high price for an AX router to get almost no real-world gain. IMO, AC86U would fit most people's need right now. One or two years later, when the need comes you can pick an AX router and the AC86U can still be a great satellite node in AiMesh.
That's my issue I pay for gigabit home internet and want to upgrade to AX/Wifi 6 wireless but I already have 3 high end Asus AC wireless access points. My phone really doesn't need more than 500 mbps (what it currently gets on AC wifi) and my desktop, tvs, server, etc (things that can make use of gigabit) are all wired. If I was building my network now or adding an additional access point, I'd go for AX wireless but for people that already have good signal and fast AC, I think it's best to wait a bit.
Teksavvy Usage Android App - Easily track your internet usage
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10941 posts
2810 upvotes
Scarberia
whats the max ax wifi6 speeds for laptop or phone? tia ...can it do 900mbps on speedtest? i only have a note 10plus that is wifi 6 i think
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2902 posts
894 upvotes
Ottawa
We've got a 3 level house, +basement. The standard bell modem works but doesn't have great throughput on 3rd floor. Bell is on ground floor.. I put in a couple of ubiquiti ac lr one on main floor, and one on third.. and disabled Bell wifi..
Had tried the ubiquiti into a poe switch or directly into modem same stuff.

It was horrific, disconnects and slow slow.. tried different channels, strengths.. Just one of them.. Or both.. Ended up going back to the bell modem..

So question is will either router or any better router help?
Baffled why the ubiquiti on newest firmware didn't do amazing.
House isn't huge but it's 3800sqft across 4 floors.

Normal stuff. Couple tv's. Sonos, wifi doorbell, wifi fan.. Apple tv, bunch of Alexa's Google homes and Thermostat etc.
Jan 24, 2016
40 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
shylok wrote: We've got a 3 level house, +basement. The standard bell modem works but doesn't have great throughput on 3rd floor. Bell is on ground floor.. I put in a couple of ubiquiti ac lr one on main floor, and one on third.. and disabled Bell wifi..
Had tried the ubiquiti into a poe switch or directly into modem same stuff.

It was horrific, disconnects and slow slow.. tried different channels, strengths.. Just one of them.. Or both.. Ended up going back to the bell modem..

So question is will either router or any better router help?
Baffled why the ubiquiti on newest firmware didn't do amazing.
House isn't huge but it's 3800sqft across 4 floors.

Normal stuff. Couple tv's. Sonos, wifi doorbell, wifi fan.. Apple tv, bunch of Alexa's Google homes and Thermostat etc.
I
I’ve rarely heard of people with issues with ubiquity. Makes me wonder if there might be a more fundamental problem. That being said, I’m really happy with my 86u and the range is great, but my house is less than half the size of yours. Maybe start with that and look at adding a mesh node if you need more range?
Aug 30, 2005
372 posts
9 upvotes
I have two 86U in my 3000 sqft house. The routers are running Merlin custom firmware. I have them hardwired to each other routing the CAT5 through the unfinished basement. One router in the back of the house and one router in the front. Range is great to outside to opposite sidewalk and speed is great.