Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

ASUS Router RT-AC86U - $209 After Taxes WARM

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2021 11:29 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2132 posts
763 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: sort of repost, Staples router deals discussed in the big thread

Merlin's actually in the supported list for that GT rgb one, at the very bottom

the 25%-off code works on this RT-AC86U router also, $149+tax... 93205
Just tried didn't seem to work for me. I'm guessing it depends if the store has it listed as clearance?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1094 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't resist the sale on the GT-2900. I actually have an old ac66u serving as an upstairs access point on a ac66u-b1 as the main router.

I don't know if it's worth the upgrade but $150 after tax is pretty awesome for the near flagship (previous generation). I don't plan any further upgrades until wifi-6E is stable and widely available as that's a clear win.

I expect it to take 2 years before widespread availability of wifi-6e but it should be worth it.

Do you guys think it's a dumb upgrade for me? I don't know if the ac66u-b1 was being saturated but I do notice that we are adding wifi devices all the time. Either way, I recommend that people consider running a main router + access point for distant locations if their coverage is weak. I've been running a wifi analyzer recently and in my crowded neighbourhood; there is a lot of daytime interference.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
kleung21 wrote: I couldn't resist the sale on the GT-2900. I actually have an old ac66u serving as an upstairs access point on a ac66u-b1 as the main router.

I don't know if it's worth the upgrade but $150 after tax is pretty awesome for the near flagship (previous generation). I don't plan any further upgrades until wifi-6E is stable and widely available as that's a clear win.

I expect it to take 2 years before widespread availability of wifi-6e but it should be worth it.

Do you guys think it's a dumb upgrade for me? I don't know if the ac66u-b1 was being saturated but I do notice that we are adding wifi devices all the time. Either way, I recommend that people consider running a main router + access point for distant locations if their coverage is weak. I've been running a wifi analyzer recently and in my crowded neighbourhood; there is a lot of daytime interference.
If you have no stability or coverage issues, why bother upgrading. If you do, then get it, great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
Chocolinx wrote:
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1011431/ looking at the settings here, it would be "control channel" setting. Choosing something between 52 to 144 would put you on a DFS channel. You can use something like "Wifi Analyzer" to see which channels are free (empty). Make sure bandwidth is set to 80Mhz for full speeds.
Got it thanks.

AsianXL wrote: This is your argument? LOL
TP-Link AX20 is the Top 5 Best Router of 2021 according to WireCutter
So yeah, it really is like comparing a BMW (TP-Link AX20) with a Kia (Asus RT-AC86U).
Don't think you understand what sets the price of a router, that tplink is a low end router with only 2x2 antennas, granted its wifi6 its peak speeds are still slower than the ac86u which is a higher end router with 4x4 antennas, meaning its signal will reach farther and offer better speeds than the tplink ax1800. Then you have to factor in software updates, asus is prompt and supports their routers for a long time, how is tplink's support?
And no one in their right mind would use ny times for hardware comparisons.
Jan 13, 2017
477 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Avignon wrote: The same router in GT versioning (hence, I expect, no Merlin) is $179 less 25%, about $134 +tax.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2952578 ... ing-router

I just did curbside pickup on one for my mesh.
I don't intend to upgrade tech until 6e routers have been out in Canada for at least a year.
Just got one, thanks!

How is the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router compared to the RT-AC86U mentioned in this thread?

Same router? No differences in hardware?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
rendered22 wrote: Just got one, thanks!

How is the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 AC2900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router compared to the RT-AC86U mentioned in this thread?

Same router? No differences in hardware?
It's basically the same thing, exept design and I think the RT-AC86U is 4X4 while the GT-AC2900 is 3X3 on 2.4ghz
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
NorthernPaladin wrote: And just to add that the GT-AC2900 does seem to be supported by Asuswrt-Merlin as see this list of supported devices:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about
I noticed this too but all the firmware is beta for now. I've used Merlin beta builds before and they've been pretty stable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
AsianXL wrote: yah ok
Don't give anymore hardware advice ok? Its useless.
Sep 15, 2017
114 posts
123 upvotes
Nelson, B.C.
slayerwulf wrote: If you don't mind like new open box you can get at Mikes for $112.50 + $7 shipping with coupon QTROFFCLR

https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/9174992
Thanks mate this is amazing! I finally bought one!
Anything I need to check when it comes? I read that it should be made after a specific month to have the best revision of the components but I forgot what month..
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2004
1396 posts
357 upvotes
GTA
Alessio87 wrote: Thanks mate this is amazing! I finally bought one!
Anything I need to check when it comes? I read that it should be made after a specific month to have the best revision of the components but I forgot what month..
I think we both just bought the last two.
Sep 15, 2017
114 posts
123 upvotes
Nelson, B.C.
OracerO wrote: I think we both just bought the last two.
Buy now, think later! RFD motto Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Dec 28, 2018
332 posts
427 upvotes
l4c2k1
You're probably right about noticing a difference in day to day performance but my brother who is a big gamer tells me it is almost a necessity for using the new Oculus Quest 2 and I could understand that.